Huawei p30

Soldato
10 x lossless zoom Camera for starters..

The Huawei P30 Pro mobile features a 6.47" (16.43 cm) display with a screen resolution of 1080 x 2340 pixels and runs on Android v9.0 (Pie) operating system.

The device is powered by Octa core (2.6 GHz, Dual core, Cortex A76 + 1.92 GHz, Dual core, Cortex A76 + 1.8 GHz, Quad core, Cortex A53) processor paired with 8 GB of RAM.

As far as the battery is concerned it has 4200 mAh.

Man of Honour
Incremental system specs. good changes though. Major change is the camera. Stills photography is now on a whole new playing field which only Huawei stand in... For now.

Kirin 980
8GB RAM
New file system which is 20% faster
Huawei's own format expandable storage slot still
IP68
40W fast wired charging
Fast wireless charging
4200mAh battery
Quad camera rear setup

MKBHD runs down the best bits, and Mr Mobile the remainder:

I'm interested in the video performance though. Even though the Mate 20 Pro was great for stills, the video recording performance was not anywhere close to Samsung standard. But for photography power alone, IMO it cannot be beat right now with that array of cameras and the low light sensitivity it has.

Man of Honour
As good as it is though, can anyone really say that EMUI is up to 2019 standard? Look at how far Samsung have come with OneUI, and how less barebones Google has come with Google Experience!

Seems LG and Huawei are less interested in optimising and polishing up the UX.

Soldato
As good as it is though, can anyone really say that EMUI is up to 2019 standard? Look at how far Samsung have come with OneUI, and how less barebones Google has come with Google Experience!

Seems LG and Huawei are less interested in optimising and polishing up the UX.

Yeah..that is what is putting me off..the EMUI.

Negatives over the S10...the Hauwei uses an optical fingerprint sensor whereas the S10 is ultrasonic. Whether that will be an issue remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah..that is what is putting me off..the EMUI.

Negatives over the S10...the Hauwei uses an optical fingerprint sensor whereas the S10 is ultrasonic. Whether that will be an issue remains to be seen.

I don't really rate either version of inscreen fingerprint scanner really. They're both slower than capacitive readers. These need another generation or two to get up to speed.

What are your main issues with EMUI?

How it looks and the layout of many of the settings and features. I've used a bunch of Huawei phones over the past year (family members have them) and they're fine in isolation, but you soon realise how polished and logical OneUI/Google Experience etc are when side by side.

EMUI also doesn't have a decent looking system wide dark mode with supporting accents/icons whereas Samsung does which is great for AMOLED devices.

Price...is whats putting me off, why are phones 1000 now? Ridiculous

Not all phones cost £1000, not even close.

This will arguably have one of, if not the best mobile phone cameras in the world, that alone is going to come at a premium, these 1 grand phones really don't bother me too much, I come from an era where a 286 monochrome laptop was like 3 grand or something stupid, there is a good phone that can fit everyone's pocket these days, the choice is rampant, the problem is these 'few' expensive phones are advertised so well that we all get tunnel vision! "b b but no super mega 5000x triple x periscope zoom lense on my current phone!?"

*Stares at current phone with contempt*

Ignore £1000 phones, enjoy the flourishing price to performance phone market, with the extra cash saved you could even buy a Gucci Belt :cool::p

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair there's also plenty of very capable mid range phones nowadays, if you want to the latest then there's a premium

Associate
OP
Reading through the specs which are ok ,but not £1,000 ok , phone is now off my shopping list , screen resolution is bit of a let down to say the least . I was nearly sucked in by the hype . Will be sticking with what I know . Going to buy a 3310 and book myself a holiday with the money I'll save .

Sorry i should have added flagship..

Even still, taking this as an example the estimated raw component cost of an Iphone XS Max is $453, already close to half a thousand dollars before even manufacturing costs, R&D, software development, engineers salaries, logistics, advertising etc, I'm not saying Apple are a charity, far from it but you can see how that easily becomes a thousand dollar phone.

I appreciate there is a market for these high end phones because at least it helps push the envelope forward and eventually the new features and tech trickles down to the midrange handsets.

Really even the flagship phones sitting around £800-£1000 imo I think it's truly amazing what these devices can do now, the power that they have, I have a Mate 20x and I barely even feel the need to pack my SLR camera these days, I enjoy having a good PUBG session on it from time to time, watch movies in HDR with dolby atmos stereo speakers, use my finger print to pay for goods, do all my banking in the palm of my hand, enjoy having all my music with me 24/7 at CD quality, and I haven't even touched on the business/productivity side of it of which it is invaluable for me.

I have a PC that is now 8 years old, I choose to upgrade my phone over upgrading my system in the end, it wasn't a decision taken lightly, but thinking it over my phone was more important to me, not just in terms of entertainment, but also as a productivity tool, 5 years ago I wouldn't even of dreamed doing that, but with the top end phones being as powerful as they are they are now they are replacing a lot of what I might of chosen to do on a laptop or home PC not so long also.

I do believe sometimes people undervalue the importance of a good smartphone, there are plenty of good cheap phones out there now that are very capable, but more expensive phones also have their merits and use cases to, for many people a phone is an intrinsic part of their life, capturing their most cherished memories, helping you run your business, entertaining you, how much value do you put on a device like that?

I guess at the end of the day that's up to you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I was thinking about upgrading my Lenovo P2 to a Huawei P20 Pro but now I'm considering the Huawei P30 instead.

I literally only really use my phone to take pictures/ film, watch things and Spotify.

The headphone jack and expandable storage of the P30 are enticing me but it has a smaller battery which is a big deal considering the Lenovo has a 5,100mAH battery. (P20 Pro 4,000mAH v P30 3,650mAH). Although I imagine they manage power better than the Lenovo.

Hmmmm. Any advice?

Soldato
Well, I was thinking about upgrading my Lenovo P2 to a Huawei P20 Pro but now I'm considering the Huawei P30 instead.

I literally only really use my phone to take pictures/ film, watch things and Spotify.

The headphone jack and expandable storage of the P30 are enticing me but it has a smaller battery which is a big deal considering the Lenovo has a 5,100mAH battery. (P20 Pro 4,000mAH v P30 3,650mAH). Although I imagine they manage power better than the Lenovo.

Hmmmm. Any advice?
I have a P2 also & am thinking about upgrading but I can't see that the P30 is going to be that much better than the P20 Pro, which I assume will now drop in price.

Back
Top Bottom