1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huel: The Future of Food ..

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Warbie, 20 Jan 2016.

1. SPG

Sgarrista

Hot Sauce is the only thing.

2. mid_gen

Capodecina

Been having huel for brekky for years now, switched to black edition when that came out. Taking the next step and ordered a load of hot and savoury for lunches as I'm taking my training a bit more seriously now....and have kinda accidentally turned vegetarian!

Had the chilli before that is..fine, trying Mac and cheese and thai green curry this time...

3. ic1male

Caporegime

Like Tabasco or Sriracha or something?

EDIT: I’ll try some Sauce Shop chipotle in it.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2021
  4. SPG

Sgarrista

5. mid_gen

Capodecina

Had first Mac N Cheese for lunch....tastes ok, but clearly most of that is coming from the aroma they've added. It really smells, would certainly be anti-social to cook one up in the office!

Think I'll stick to the other flavours in future, will try the thai green curry tomorrow.

6. explicit4u

Capodecina

Weak in terms of heat but it's up there when it comes to flavour, love the chili garlic version!

7. ic1male

Caporegime

Ooh, this Black edition Vanilla combined with the flavour boost sachets is a vast improvement over my usual choice which is the Unsweetened & Unflavoured with the sachets. It just masks the metallic/stevia aftertaste that I'm not keen on for a more sugary-like taste. (Not sure whether that's a good thing as I can nearly glug the entire 500ml in a few minutes now rather than the 30 it usually takes me.)

8. explicit4u

Capodecina

Price of the brick going up:

[​IMG]

Still happy with the pricing, another increase and I may start looking for alternatives.

9. Uther

Capodecina

That's a big price increase!

10. ic1male

Caporegime

Might have to do a quick stock up before December 8th then. I'm finding it's more mentally satisfying to chomp on a Huel bar when I get hungry instead of reaching for a block of chocolate.

11. mid_gen

Capodecina

Yeah it's a bit rich tbh. I can't believe their margins are getting squeezed that hard.

I'm on 2x black edition + 3x hot n savoury a month....can just about justify it at these prices....but any more increases and I'm off.

12. Minusorange

Sgarrista

And that's if you stay signed up to the subscription, it's what ? 12% increase, that's pretty high makes me wonder if the perpetual 10% subscription price is not sustainable for them so they've basically made the sub price the normal price now

13. DeliciousStorage

Hitman

It was already massively overpriced though, more than double the price of similar alternatives, so I'm not sure why an extra 12% would make a big difference.

14. robj20

Capodecina

Think I'm done with it now for that price. Might try the MyProtein version.

15. Noxia

Sgarrista

Just tried Mac and cheese. Flavour wise it's fine but I will add more water next time and leave longer as I had crunchy pasta.
    The only one I felt was inedible was the sweet and sour.
    Though I have all the other flavours to try now but feel they are 'safe'

16. ic1male

Caporegime

Yup, same here. It was like eating one of those old pasta pot noodle things that didn't soften the pasta up enough. The problem I have with these meals is they're difficult to mix up. So I end up with one or two days of mostly powder (i.e. sauce) and then the rest of the time more of the food and less sauce.

Also, I wonder if they've changed the chicken korma. It tasted fantastic last night. I don't think the few garlic mushrooms I added would have altered the taste that much. Unless the salt in the garlic butter enhanced it massively.

17. Noxia

Sgarrista

I find they also come out totally different depending how one makes it. For example, Mexican chili in the pot always a good consistency, fills me up. If I make it in a bowl (same water qty) and cover it, it comes out like a watery soup. I just stick to the pot now.
    Not tried korma yet but will this week.

18. mid_gen

Capodecina

I put a fair bit extra water in the mac and cheese, nearly fill the cup....it still stays a good consistency.

I was a bit put off the smell at first, but now I've switched to all mac and cheese in my order. It's just a more satisfying and filling meal than the chilli and thai green curry.

19. Noxia

Sgarrista

I agree, it was really thick and more filling than the others so far.
    Going to try tomato/korma/madras today as they are the 3 I've yet to open. Not too excited about the tomato one.

20. ic1male

Caporegime

I had Madras last night - it is quite strong on its own. I plan to add some cauliflower rice to it next time.