Hungarian Grand Prix 2016, Budapest - Race 11/21

A drive through. So that confirms the 10 second penalty for Rosberg was 15 seconds less than it should have been.

So JB gets a drive through for radio chat about not shifting, but Rosberg did not get a 25 second post-race penalty?

gg consistent stewards!

Charlie said in an interview with Chandhok yesterday (recorded on Thursday or Friday) that they had changed the penalty to stop drivers from just going for the 10 second time penalty. They said that they got the original penalty rules wrong so they were changing it from here onwards. It was hardly a secret.

So it was to do with changing a setting on the steering wheel which got him in trouble.

But JB suggesting it was something that was fixing the brakes (or more specifically a sensor).

As I said in the case of Hamilton and Rosberg before him, a stupid rule.

Looks like Palmer hit the white line on the outside before T4 but just as he does so the car sounds like it speeds up quickly, so maybe a PU issue or the real wheels losing traction, looked a bit odd, steering wheel input looked fine so either car fault, pedal modulation or the white line losing him grip. Shame cos he was going to be my driver of the day if he'd have kept that points finish!

Lewis Hamilton in the Press Conference said:
Well the stewards need to come up with some kind of solution, because, um, it is, um, for the whole 23 years of racing it has been, if it's a yellow flag, you slow down and if it's a double yellow flag you prepare to stop.

Now, Nico was doing the same speed at the apex that I was doing on the previous lap, so if there happened to be a car that spun or a marshal on the track, it would have been pretty hard for him to slow down in that case. So that's why, and the fact that he didn't get penalised means that we need to be careful because the message that we're sending, not only to the drivers here but also to the drivers in the lower categories, is now possible for you to only lose 1 tenth of a second in a double waved yellow flag section which is the most dangerous, um, one of the most dangerous scenarios with the double yellow flags.

So, they need to clear that up because before it was 2 tenths you're supposed to lose with one yellow flag and half a second with two yellow flags. It wasn't the case yesterday and there was no penalty.

Going into the next race, we could be battling for pole position and we see double yellow flags and we know all we have to do is do a small lift and lose 1 tenth of a second and we'll be fine and go purple in the sector.

So that's why it does need to be clarified and I'm sure that Charlie and the stewards are going to do so, because it needs to be clear.

*CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Nico Rosberg in the Press Conference said:
Well thank you for making that statement, so now I'm going to put my response.

And errr, what you have to do with double yellow is significantly reduce your speed and you know make sure you're going safe. I went Twenty Kilometres per hour slower into that corner. Twenty kilometres per hour is a different world in an F1 car, you know. Twenty kilometres per hour you are going proper slow, and there's, you know completely, everything is safe.

That's how I did my speed, and lifted off 30 meters before my braking point. So was just rolling there, twenty kilometres per hour slower, until I got to the apex, Then of course, when you're in the apex I had a much tighter line because I went in slow and then so I can accelerate out again.

So, ummm, I definitely significantly reduced my speed and that's what it says you need to do and that's why for the stewards that's umm, that was completely acceptable. It was very very obvious what I did, very clear. And umm, of course, on a drying track you're going to get massively faster every lap. It's not like the track was consistent, you know? Drying track. It's irrelevant what the sector time was because you're going to get so much quicker every time you're out there, because of the wet patches, they dry and you go so much quicker. In that segment, I was slower, where there was the yellow flag. But of course in the big sector, yeah, I'm quicker because the track is getting quicker and I'm pushing in all the other corners. Umm. So that was a pretty clear case for the stewards and that's why I didn't get any penalty.

Hmmm....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom