Poll: Hungarian Grand Prix 2017, Budapest - Race 11/20

Rate the 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
it'l be interesting to see PDR having a go this weekend,
but he's never driven the 2017 car... whats the point in having a reserve driver thats never driven the car?
you'd have thought they'd have given him the odd practice session now and again

They are probably not allowed to for cost-cutting reasons. Otherwise, the teams would take the mickey and be using these training days for development testing.

I would imagine there could be an argument made that for safety reasons, reserve drivers should have a certain number of hours in the car if you are going to drive the car in a race.

Soldato
Well this will be the last Grand Prix for a month :( I just hope Lewis can finish ahead of Vettel and enjoy his summer break knowing he is leading the championship.

Soldato
Stirling job by di Resta in the circumstances. Apparently he's only done 10 laps with a hybrid engine, these 2017 cars seem to be the hardest cars to drive on the limit for years and the drivers have been all over the place all weekend. di Resta jumps in with no practice and is only 7 tenths off his teammate. So long as he doesn't throw it at the scenery tomorrow he could have just played himself into contention for a 2018 seat, sponsorship dependant.

Caporegime
Really impressed by Renault's improvement. They look like they are the next best team after Merc, Ferrari and Red Bull now (with Hulk behind the wheel anyway...)

Caporegime
Watching the on board laps, the Ferrari looked so much more compliant around here compared to the Merc. The Merc drivers seemed to have to wrestle a lot with it out in and out of corners. Vettel's lap was as smooth as they come - I don't think he had to correct anything at all.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Watching the on board laps, the Ferrari looked so much more compliant around here compared to the Merc. The Merc drivers seemed to have to wrestle a lot with it out in and out of corners. Vettel's lap was as smooth as they come - I don't think he had to correct anything at all.

The Ferrari has a shorter wheelbase than the Merc. Shorter wheelbase = lower polar moment of inertia = car rotates into corners more easily = faster on a twisty circuit. Bottas and Hamilton would have to 'throw' the car into the corner a bit harder to overcome the reluctance to turn, which means that they can end up overdoing it and having to correct it. It does make for a more stable car overall though.

As a side note - the Merc wheelbase is 148 inches. The 1989 Ferrari 640, with it's loooooooooong V12 engine and huge fuel tank and bulky first-gen semi automatic gearbox, had a wheelbase of 111 inches. I do wonder if maybe having the rulebook written to force shorter cars might help the show somewhat - make the wheelbase shorter and the cars will spin more easily, and the teams will have to make the bodywork wider to get everything in so they'll punch more of a hole in the air (can do away with DRS then as the slipstream will be more effective).

Associate
As a side note - the Merc wheelbase is 148 inches. The 1989 Ferrari 640, with it's loooooooooong V12 engine and huge fuel tank and bulky first-gen semi automatic gearbox, had a wheelbase of 111 inches. I do wonder if maybe having the rulebook written to force shorter cars might help the show somewhat - make the wheelbase shorter and the cars will spin more easily, and the teams will have to make the bodywork wider to get everything in so they'll punch more of a hole in the air (can do away with DRS then as the slipstream will be more effective).

And what about the front/nose crash structure??

Back
Top Bottom