Hunt: Showdown (Crytek)

Soldato
This was originally called Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age, when it was first announced back in 2014. It caught my eye because it looked like it might scratch that L4D itch I have (though this is possibly just leprosy). The game then disappeared (due to Crytek's financial woes), and re-emerged a month ago with a change of name, premise and studio; it's now being developed at Crytek HQ in Frankfurt, instead of Crytek USA. Official site.

The game is a combo of PvP and PvE, with five teams of two players competing on the same map. You're all bounty hunters searching for the same supernatural enemies in 1800s America. Find them, vanquish them back to hell, collect the bounty. Alternatively, let another team kill the creature, then you kill your rivals and steal the bounty. Or hunt down your opposition teams first, kill them, before going for the "boss".

Reports from the E3 floor have been very promising, with lots of praise given to the high risk/reward gameplay mechanics (there's some form of permadeath, and other survival RPG mechanics), as well as the tense, eerie atmosphere and visuals.

First teaser from last month;

E3 gameplay footage (complete with an irritating American dude);

Not much more is known beyond a few articles. PC Gamer loved it for example, describing it as "multiplayer Stalker-meets-Resident Evil". No release date yet, though there'll be a chance to play it before release - that might be a closed beta, or early access.

Soldato
OP
Ha, well that's always a concern with Crytek alright. :D And let's be honest, their financial troubles could still put a kibosh on this even making release.

But in terms of premise and design, I thought it was easily one of the more interesting titles at E3.

Man of Honour
Actually looks pretty cool but not sure if they can pull it off with permadeath - the novelty wears off after only a few rounds and tends to disincentivize people to play it except when they are 100% in the mood which tends to result in games become inactive very quickly.

I dunno why developers tend to either run away from permadeath or go all in instead of a hybrid system of risk v reward ratio to it so people have more control over the level of risk they are prepared to play with at any one time and more likely to play.

Associate
Actually looks pretty cool but not sure if they can pull it off with permadeath - the novelty wears off after only a few rounds and tends to disincentivize people to play it except when they are 100% in the mood which tends to result in games become inactive very quickly.

I dunno why developers tend to either run away from permadeath or go all in instead of a hybrid system of risk v reward ratio to it so people have more control over the level of risk they are prepared to play with at any one time and more likely to play.

Have to agree, why cant they just even have systems where some servers perma death, some servers arent, so if you're in the mood for full risk go for it on perma death, but if you just want to advance you play on other servers.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'd agree too. Have read/heard conflicting things on the permadeath though. At one point it was said you'd lose everything when you die, but I seem to remember the mention of some things being passed on to your successors (via bloodlines??). Best guess is they haven't decided what the final approach will be.

Soldato
Despite their output in the last decade or so, I'll always have a soft spot for Crytek, let's hope this game is good and pulls them out of the dire straits they're in.

Soldato
Looks a bit like Escape from Tarkov but with monster npc's vs humans in EFT. Not entirely original but looks decent enough, hopefully does well for them as they could use a win.

Back
Top Bottom