Hurricane Helene / Milton

You have to issue warnings in advance because by the time the danger has arrived its too late to leave so they based their prediction on what the storm was like at the time i.e. a cat 5 the fact it weakened by the time it arrived is hardly anything to be criticized for if they'd waited it'd be too late for anyone to do anything with the information. The level of denial and false information is already off the scale they're even getting death threats, madness

Yup

By the time you know it's definitely going to be as bad as you thought it's far too late to evacuate.
It's hard to to understand why people are having difficultly with the idea that the decision and warnings have to be made early enough to give that warning, and that things can change, hopefully for the better in as little as 12 hours, but if you wait it's too late if it doesn't get better.

With my experience of relatively minor flooding, by the time the water was actively visible and rising it was going up by as much as 5-10cm every 15 minutes, that was just heavy UK rain and a small stream flooding the surrounding grounds (having risen about 2m in the stream bed), not a hurricane, and a couple of weeks back I drive along the A5, when I did the return trip about an hour later the road was closed due to flooding that was deep enough to strand vans (when I went through it there wasn't even a decent puddle).

Last edited:
Reminds me of how "Y2K wasn't a big deal" for some numpties.
Yup

A lot of people, including those that should know better never manage to grasp that by spending the time/money/effort preparing for and trying to stop something bad happening, it was largely prevented*.
IIRC in around 2005 there were cases were systems that were not fixed started doing things like sending 105 year olds information about where they'd be starting school, as the systems had a lag because they didn't need to do something until X years and for school systems that was when a record indicated someone was 4 or 5 (so 1900 becomes 2000 because of no century data, and starting school at 5 means the letter goes out in 2005 or 05 as the system sees it).

*You see it a lot with cars, people putting off routine/recommended work because "it's fine at the moment", then the cam belt snaps 2 years after it was due to be replaced, or the oil runs dry etc.

Last edited:
Then you're being stupid its like those people who refuse to budge during a hurricane or other disaster and then have to get rescued by the services from their homes because their lives are in danger and put others out or even risk their lives for them on account of their own stubborn refusal to accept advice

So you've quoted my post where I clearly say I'm not saying I'd ignore government advice or the order to evacuate, and then liken me to people who ignore an evacuation order.

And call me stupid :)

Last edited:
I see where bainbridge is coming from. Honestly, the only info you need is from the NHC direct. A lot of stations have their own meteorologists, live coverage and 24/7 access means sometimes they go overboard with the coverage.

Then you have social media BS, conspiracy theories, content creators etc. needing to push views etc.

I don’t live in the U.S but if I did I would follow the NHC advisories along with any official mandatory evacuation orders. There are lots of free resources from NOAA/NHC etc. to help individuals.

However people need to keep an eye out as forecasts are just that, maybe the initial cone puts you dead centre so you evacuate early. If it ends up the cone moves and you didn’t need to evacuate, people need to acknowledge they still did the right thing, rather than complaining or accusing meteorologists that they weren’t right.

Yup

A lot of people, including those that should know better never manage to grasp that by spending the time/money/effort preparing for and trying to stop something bad happening, it was largely prevented*.
IIRC in around 2005 there were cases were systems that were not fixed started doing things like sending 105 year olds information about where they'd be starting school, as the systems had a lag because they didn't need to do something until X years and for school systems that was when a record indicated someone was 4 or 5 (so 1900 becomes 2000 because of no century data, and starting school at 5 means the letter goes out in 2005 or 05 as the system sees it).

*You see it a lot with cars, people putting off routine/recommended work because "it's fine at the moment", then the cam belt snaps 2 years after it was due to be replaced, or the oil runs dry etc.

It's called the preparedness paradox. Y2k was basically the poster boy for it!

Data now confirms one of the tornadoes that tore through Florida was an EF3, the strongest tornadoe to hit the state in 52 years

There is still flooding in areas and will continue as state officials plan to empty their overflowing reservoirs into the already flooded rivers.

And 2 million homes remain without power, about 20% of the state

Last edited:
And in the news of the stupid today... :rolleyes:

North Carolina emergency responders were moved after two trucks containing an 'armed militia' said they were out hunting FEMA

They say armed militia. Why not domestic terrorists?

Back
Top Bottom