Hydra/Hydro

Associate
OP
Now that would be telling:D

Actually not a lot tonight I should be working but my car has died:(

Edit: You might be right about the kink Mr Dekez but its just a test build at the mo I need some more fittings to complete it.

I think i will be swaping the pipes on the rad you can see in the photo just to get the run better.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
She's not up and running yet I still have some fittings to come and some work to do on the routing.

Biffa was saying that temps equalise over time but i put the smaller rad half way round the loop just to be sure.

Associate
OP
OK Hydra is now finally up and running (but not finished):D

Still running windows for now and just picked up a 2684:( after half an hour temps are 36c 36c 37c 38c across the sockets and no leaks :)

It was at around 68c on air, temps might rise with a better WU but not by much:)

I will be moving over to Linux probably tomorrow and probably Ubuntu as its the only distro ive used,this could be an adventure all on its own:p

Associate
OP
002.jpg

Yes the cables are messy but its a work in progress.

What is the total "gigaflop-age" of this beast?

Each processor does about 110.4Gigaflops so about 441.6 is total:)

Associate
OP
Finally got another 6901 after lots of smp's and with NUMA on (node interleaving disabled) frame times have dropped below 6.30(just):D

Thats a theoretical PPD of 370k:eek:

Ive also spotted some G34 engineering samples on the bay, these should have unlocked multipliers and would go well under Hydras new water:)

Soldato
Are they the same cpus you have at the moment, just with the multiplier unlocked?
I didn't realise you could overclock on boards like that.

Oh and I've just learnt if I'm going to search for "G34" on ebay in work, go to the computer section first, don't do a general search!

Associate
OP
They are 12 core 2.1ghz(as far as i can tell from the numbers he gave) mine are 2.3ghz but with the unlocked multiplier who knows.

I wont be able to change voltage but if i can get them to what i have now or 100mhz further i would be happy and sell mine.:)

Spoke too soon on the frame times back upto 6.45:(

Soldato
Did you install the BFS? I've only really switched mine over to ubuntu properly last night, not installed the BFS yet.

I'm a bit worried about ballsing it up now I've got everything working! (well accept sound, but it doesn't matter now as with PS3 media server I can stream VLCs :cool:)

Associate
OP
Not installed bfs as it seems not to scale well to high thread counts (beyond 24)

I need to do somthing, Tear has posted frame times of 6.40 on the FF with slightly slower processors and if i scale his times then the 6.29 i was getting earlier are what i should be getting.:confused:

Associate
OP
OK Hydra now has her new chips fitted, 4 6100 series AMD engineering samples with unlocked multipliers:eek:

Running them at stock (2.1ghz) for a couple of units then the overclocking begins:D

A guy at amdzone has them at 2.5 on air so 2.6+ might be on the cards:)

Associate
BaBa, you seem to know a lot about multi-CPU systems.

I'm having to come up with a spec for a build at the moment. I could go for dual quad core Xeons or a single hex core i7. The i7 beats the dual Xeons in CPU benchmarks from cpubenchmark.net. Are there any reasons in favour of picking the dual Xeons?

Associate
BaBa, you seem to know a lot about multi-CPU systems.

I'm having to come up with a spec for a build at the moment. I could go for dual quad core Xeons or a single hex core i7. The i7 beats the dual Xeons in CPU benchmarks from cpubenchmark.net. Are there any reasons in favour of picking the dual Xeons?

These just going to be used for folding?

Back
Top Bottom