I am a bike owner!

Associate
OP
My latest purchases have just turned up. A set of official Yamaha engine bars (new, great deal on the aforementioned auction site) and a Haynes manual.

:)

Associate
OP
A couple of months on and I'm getting on really well with my Yammy. I started off by finding a local circuit through some of the villages and I rode it many times to get my confidence up. After I felt that I was at a suitable level I pushed the boat out a bit and started doing longer trips.

I haven't been out in the dark yet. I leave work at 4pm on Fridays, so that's been prime bike commuting time due to it still being light when I go home. It's a 25 mile each way commute with a dual carriageway, some A roads and some back roads.

The bike's a lot of fun and I'm really enjoying it, although I feel that I'm outgrowing the bike now. I'm 6' 2", and although it's a great bike for getting started on, I think that something bigger would suit me a lot better. I could use a little more power as well - the poor little engine in that thing struggles a bit on dual carriageways and any road with even the tiniest of inclines.

So, I guess it's going to be test time soon. As much as I thank my Yammy for introducing me to the biking world, I need to progress. I booked my theory test today so that I can get it out of the way. It's in the second week of March. I did one for my car test, but the hazard perception didn't exist at that point. I think I've got the questions pretty much sorted so it's the hazard perception I need to focus on now. That and learning the stopping distances again.

Then the question remains as to my first big bike. I sat on a GSX650F at the Excel Centre show and liked it a lot. I'm still open to anything though. I'll probably check out the SV650 and the ER-6 as well.

Associate
Nice one dude. Once the bug bites, it bites hard! Thats quite a commute but better by bike IMO!
Are you looking to buy a brand new bike? If so, you should look at the 2011 Honda CBR600F, a fantastic bike and about 7.5k OTR. Something with a decent fairing will be a real boon, makes a big difference.

Associate
OP
Nice one dude. Once the bug bites, it bites hard! Thats quite a commute but better by bike IMO!
Are you looking to buy a brand new bike? If so, you should look at the 2011 Honda CBR600F, a fantastic bike and about 7.5k OTR. Something with a decent fairing will be a real boon, makes a big difference.

I don't mind the commute - it gives me time for some calm before I get to work, which is a good thing :)

As to getting a brand new bike - I don't know. I'm open to anything at the moment. My boss has an older CBR600F as a winter bike and that looks quite good. I think a decent fairing is a must.

Associate
OP
Haven't posted in this thread for a while but thought I'd just post a quick update. I'm still on the 125 but with each trip, the yearning for a bigger bike increases.

This morning, I told myself to focus on trying to be a bit smoother and it worked - my clutch control is better and everything's a bit more fluid. As a bonus, junctions started to become more polished. Every time I go for a ride I learn something new. It's a constant learning experience and it's fascinating.

I'm thinking that I'll have to book a DAS course shortly. The more confidence I get, I equally get more frustrated with the limitations of my 125. The lack of acceleration hinders progress (and frustrates everyone behind you) and I'm becoming more aware of how uncomfortable its small size is.

As an aside, I'd noticed recently that some road signs in the distance looked a bit blurry so I went to the opticians. It turns out that my prescription has changed a bit, so I've got some new glasses on order. Don't forget to get your eyes tested regularly guys.

Associate
I'm still on the 125 but with each trip, the yearning for a bigger bike increases.
Not quite had mine a month yet and I'm feeling the same TBH
It's not that it isn't a good bike and all, but the performance and drivability of something "bigger" would be great.
Loving the MPG though, as I recently squoze a tenner into the tank after doing 175miles :D:cool:

Associate
OP
Not quite had mine a month yet and I'm feeling the same TBH
It's not that it isn't a good bike and all, but the performance and drivability of something "bigger" would be great.
Loving the MPG though, as I recently squoze a tenner into the tank after doing 175miles :D:cool:

The running costs are fantastic, I'll give it that :D

Think I'm going to investigate booking a direct access course over the next day or two. I need more power!

Associate
OP
Booked my direct access today!

Having an "Oh my god, what have I gone and done?!" moment. Can't wait to get on the 500 though.

Associate
OP
I'm paying £550, which includes bike hire and test fees, which I don't think is too bad.

Two days per module. Mod 2 is the week after mod 1. Bike is an ER-5.

Associate
OP
Today's update - I passed my module 1 test today! No minors. Got 60kph on the emergency stop and 53 on the swerve. I'm really chuffed - even had room to spare on the u turn.

Got to sort out my observations now for the mod 2. I'm messing up the timing too often!

Tea Drinker
Don
Got to sort out my observations now for the mod 2. I'm messing up the timing too often!

MOD 2 is a cinch they only technical procedures they do is asking you to pull from the kerb 3 - 4 times so all they are looking for is the correct lane positioning and life savers and observations, you've done the technical stuff well done :)

Associate
OP
I'm impressed with the 500. It's a little bit better in every respect than the 125. The first hundred yards are a little scary, but you quickly realise that it's not that scary! The only obstacles are getting used to the clutch and the riding position. It doesn't take long to get comfortable with the bike - it's much easier going from a 125 to a 500 than going from not riding to a 125.

Associate
OP
I've got a YBR in black. Are the accessories worth it? I'm looking at the screen but not sure if it's worth the investment.

You'll probably be fine without the screen, but I got mine cheap off of a well known auction site for much less than retail price. I wouldn't have paid out for a new one.

Back
Top Bottom