i am fat

Soldato
Yeah but you need to take his weight into account. Plus i assume that's including a base level of 2000 or so, so only really 1200 or so of "Activity Calories"

Putting my weight (110kg) and running for an hour (6mph) into most calculators, they come up around 1200/hr burnt, which ties into Strava which also includes HR levels. So assuming 90 mins in the gym and a 20 min walk it's not outrageous.

Soldato
I wondered if it was a bit high... it's definitely tracking all expenditure though, as Marv says - if I let the tracker run the entire day without sync-ing to the app and load up the app right before midnight it will show the calories burned as approx. 1,900 cals before it syncs - which I guess is just an estimate for the base level by just existing...

I'm 90kgs, 6'2"...

The main bits of activity it logged yesterday were:
  • my ~20 minute walk at lunchtime, averaging 111 bpm heart-rate (the "fat-burn zone" apparently, my average resting heartrate is about 60) and it thinks that would be worth ~150 cals
  • 20 minutes on the bike at the gym warming up, hiiit training at first - average bpm of 135 but several good peaks of ~165ish putting it mostly in the "cardio" zone travelling 11.2km so ~33 kph. It reckons that's worth 428 cals
  • 50 minutes doing weights after that, strength/muscle training really but still maintaining about 110 bpm ("fat burn") throughout, and it gives that another 425 cals

Soldato
428 cals for 20mins riding sounds like a lot at the intensity you did.

By comparison, I cycled to work today (50 mins) at recovery pace, and Garmin says it was just over 500 cals.

If you did an hour, that would be ~1200 cals. I think mine says about 800 per hour when I'm at tempo/threshold for most of the hour.

Man of Honour
Hmm not sure about all the ‘logging’... best to just monitor your mass over a period of time and go from there, I think?

Some obvious points:

When you start dieting you will lose pounds and pounds of water. This is why there is always a sharp decrease in the rate of mass loss. If you anticipate it, then it won’t disappoint you.

Rather than a perpetual miserable rabbit diet, I think it’s far more manageable to allow yourself a generous meal every few days. That way you’ll stop your body going “ooo crap there is no food coming in, better hold onto all the fats!!”. It’s also psychologically far less exhausting - after a decent meal you feel encouraged to stick at it.

Just in my experience, read around and come to your own thoughts!

Soldato
The other day I got a shocker, I used to weight lift pretty hardcore in past could never crack 90kg bodyweight (a lot of cardio too from boxing). I used to eat like a horse and had pretty decent numbers lifting.

Fast forward the other day..... I've not been lifting for good 3ish years (yeah I got lazy/messed up my knee....). I checked scale and I was 101kg. I flipped my lid.

I'm 6' 4 so obviously I don't exactly "look fat" but now i'm early 30's clearly things have slowed down. I haven't exactly been eating super unhealthy last few months either. I also don't drink alcohol at all which is normally where you can pick up a lot of sneaky calories....

Soldato
I can't really just go by weight because I seem to stay at pretty much exactly 90kgs under my current diet/exercise combo... I think I am gaining muscle mass (based on unscientific evidence - it just looks visually like I am) and definitely increasing the max I can lift/press/whatever as the weeks go by... Like I said before progress on that front had stalled a bit - felt like I'd hit a plateau, but since starting on the shakes before the gym and trying to increase the ratio of protein in my diet a bit I'm back to increasing the weight (edit: that I can lift, not my weight!) week on week...

So am I gaining muscle and losing fat, resulting in a net weight change of close to zero? I can certainly live with that if so - and theoretically like we were discussing before if that is what's happening there should be a bit of a feedback lurking in there; as I need more cals to support more muscle my (fixed) diet will increasingly create a deficit on its own... Counting calories for the next week or so is pretty much just a way to try and work out if I'm at that point already or not... (but I'm very new to all this so I'm not really sure!)

Associate
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found it really helpful to go for a brisk walk before breakfast for around 30 mins.

Soldato
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I found it really helpful to go for a brisk walk before breakfast for around 30 mins.

That's why I always go to the gym first thing in the morning. Nice to get the exercise out the way incase daytime stuff such as work gets on top.

My Samsung Gear S3 decided to pack up and the sensors has stopped working.

Just took it in for repair....3 weeks for me to get it back. Gym sessions are going to feel odd without it :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom