I built a log store

Ha, I know what you mean, we moved here just over 5 years ago and had a log burner in the previous house.

On move day (Saturday), we were waiting for the keys from the estate agent and went to the installers show room. They came on the Monday to measure up and quite for an install here too :D

Collected a bunch more wood and picked up a splitting axe to to start properly breaking it all down, getting nice and full now! :)

Been practicing my splitting, only nearly chopped my foot off twice, but still in one piece :o

Added some extra cross bar supports to the upper shelf as well, as it's ending up being a ton of weight on top, I hope it doesn't break :eek:

FgdLIqV.jpg

SDXQSsN.jpg

5PAveGx.jpg

0xonn4n.jpg

Last edited:
Foot chopping :D

I have ordered a small flatbed's worth of dried logs for this winter. I built a small store out of the big blue pallets in the end, was quite difficult splitting some of the pallets with those serrated nails! But turned out pretty tidy despite my previous concerns.

Nice! You should get some pics up! Yeah, the pallets are a lot tougher than they look. Nearly took an eye out a few years back trying to break down a pallet without the right tools. Used a circular saw and crow bar this time and it was a lot easier, but still not something I'd like to do a lot of.

Last edited:
I tell you what, I really enjoyed getting out and splitting the wood. It's a great workout. The smell of the freshly split wood is lush too.

Been watching a few splitting vids on YouTube and now I'm getting recommended all these arborist, axe and wood splitting channels. Some are quite therapeutic.

Now that I've got the splitting maul I'll burn up all the small weird shaped bits I originally collected and start getting some much larger and rounder pieces so I can split and stack nice and consistently.

I've already stacked two rows deep of split wood on the top shelf to the roof now. Will get the odd shapes burnt then split everything on the bottom.

Last edited:
I tell you what, I really enjoyed getting out and splitting the wood. It's a great workout. The smell of the freshly split wood is lush too.

Been watching a few splitting vids on YouTube and now I'm getting recommended all these arborist, axe and wood splitting channels. Some are quite therapeutic.

Now that I've got the splitting maul I'll burn up all the small weird shaped bits I originally collected and start getting some much larger and rounder pieces so I can split and stack nice and consistently.

I've already stacked two rows deep of split wood on the top shelf to the roof now. Will get the odd shapes burnt then split everything on the bottom.

Tonnes of videos like these. Absolutely epic.

This is one of the log cabin ones I came across when first doing the build

I like this guy too, he loves splitting his logs and is super chill and positive

Back
Top Bottom