I can't figure out how scales would work with big boxes

Man of Honour
Of course :confused:

This is why proper lifting technique is to pick up long heavy objects with 1 hand in the middle, rather than 1 hand at each end, so that they weigh less...

The next time I see Eddie Hall I'll tell him that one - "Hey Eddie if you decide to lift half a ton again don't put your arms out wide, just lift with one arm in the middle and it will be lighter" :)

Soldato
The next time I see Eddie Hall I'll tell him that one - "Hey Eddie if you decide to lift half a ton again don't put your arms out wide, just lift with one arm in the middle and it will be lighter" :)

Not trying to be offensive, but I wouldn't be taking a weightlifter as the world's highest authority on physics/mechanics.

Man of Honour
Not trying to be offensive, but I wouldn't be taking a weightlifter as the world's highest authority on physics/mechanics.

So you really believe if an object is 30kg you can make it weigh less depending on how you pick it up?
Agreed you can have different techniques to make it easier (because I teach them) but you can't make the object weigh less.

Caporegime
So you really believe if an object is 30kg you can make it weigh less depending on how you pick it up?
Agreed you can have different techniques to make it easier (because I teach them) but you can't make the object weigh less.

That's how relativity works. Einstein said weight is relative to the overhang of a item from the fulcrum of the lifting point. It's something to do with quantum entanglement.

So a 30kg weight can be lifted with a sub 30kg relative vector depending on the fulcrum load constant.

Man of Honour
That's how relativity works. Einstein said weight is relative to the overhang of a item from the fulcrum of the lifting point. It's something to do with quantum entanglement.

So a 30kg weight can be lifted with a sub 30kg relative vector depending on the fulcrum load constant.

I need this proving to me because in my mind nothing is going to make a 30kg weight any lighter unless you can cut some off.
Different lifting techniques can make objects seem lighter, I can make an 100kg patient weigh nothing by putting them in a hoist etc.

Soldato

Why don't you ask your mate Eddie Hall?

Here he is doing his maximum deadlift at 500kg (notice how he lifts the weight in the middle):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnh3XRFyDE

Here he is lifting a 2 tonne truck (notice he lifts one end and most if the weight is overhanging)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMPSkOkWUd8

Man of Honour
Why don't you ask your mate Eddie Hall?

Here he is doing his maximum deadlift at 500kg (notice how he lifts the weight in the middle):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnh3XRFyDE

Here he is lifting a 2 tonne truck (notice he lifts one end and most if the weight is overhanging)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMPSkOkWUd8

On the first his hands are about a yard apart and not in the middle.
If his arms were outstretched it would be harder to pickup and if his hands were together it would be harder to pickup.

In the second he is lifting ONE END so it is going to be lighter because he's only picked one end up.
I moved paving slabs today picking up one end and bouncing them into place, no way could I pick them up.

In both instances the objects are still the same weight, he hasn't made them lighter.

I want to be proved wrong but you're giving bad examples.
Minstadave may have the answer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Soldato

To be honest, using just 1 finger is even better, due to small surface area, but obviously makes it harder to grip, last thing you want is for the object to start slipping so you inadvertently use your second hand to steady it, because at that point you're literally doubling the weight you have to lift!

Back
Top Bottom