1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't figure out how scales would work with big boxes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GregI, May 17, 2019.

1. dan958

Hitman

Stand on some household scales, look at the weight. Now put your arms out to the side, it stays the same weight, right?

As long as it is only touching the weight and not anything else on the side, it will be fine.

2. Roar87

Mobster

Is this an elaborate troll? Why would overhang affect the total force exerted on the scale?

3. touch

Capodecina

Because the overhanging bit isn't on the scale! Duh! How can it be exerting any force?

4. Armageus

Don

Depends if the plane is on a treadmill?

5. Brizzles

Soldato

Throw it off a building, if it falls faster than gravity then Gemma Collins was inside

6. h4rm0ny

Soldato

A box that is empty is full of air. A balloon that is empty is not. A box of balloons is both empty and full and it ties my brain in a knot.

7. Werewolf

Commissario

His question isn't actually as daft as it might sound.

IIRC depending on the method the scales use to weigh (spring or electronic), design, age and the surface they are on putting the weight on a different part of the platform could give a different result.
    Not a major issue for kitchen/household scales, but for larger ones it is an issue especially if you were trying to get an accurate measurement at the edges of it's range.

I remember a set of bathroom scales we had when I was younger that would give varying (but repeatable) differences in weight depending on how you stood on them, iirc if I put my weight on the "back" of the scale it weighed me lighter than if I let my weight settle naturally across the scale (or on the "front" edge). I think it was something worn inside the frame that meant it wasn't operating smoothly if the weight was unevenly distributed.

8. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Estimate how many queen wasps would fit in the box. Ask your father if he's ever killed queen wasps for a living (if not, find another father). Weigh him - you can use these scales as long as the father doesn't overhang. Take his weight away from the number of queen wasps, and you have the weight of the box and contents.

Simple.

9. Shivy011

Soldato

[​IMG]

I use one of these ****** wooden stools
    Put the stool on scales
    Zero
    Put suitcase/box/whatever on top
    Weigh
    Bob's your uncle

10. JOSH

Sgarrista

Weigh yourself, hold box, weigh yourself with the box, subtract your weight?

I can’t believe I am even entertaining this tbh...

11. Jasoncmor

Gangster

I used to use the kitchen scales with a dish on it, set the scales to 0 then stick the box on top, it was easy enough to see the weight that way with the overhang.

12. GregI

Hitman

In my defence I was drunk.

Apparently I also went on reddit at 3:27am and asked "what was made first, water or dr pepper?????"

13. The_Abyss

Capodecina

Well, that's obvious.

The Dr Pepper guys clearly invented something and then asked themselves what ingredients they needed.

14. vanpeebles

Soldato

:D love it!

15. DXP55

Mobster

Stupid boy Pike - you still have overlap :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. Minstadave

Capodecina

What if the scales were on a treadmill?

17. StoutMeister

Soldato

That 4 dick stool is cool.

18. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I love the suggestion of standing on the scales, weighing yourself, pick up the box and subtract the difference.
    You will still have the 'overhang' but 4 foot higher :)

Anyway, ask yourself "If I had a 10 foot long steel bar that weighs 3 stone would it weigh less on the scales because at least 90% of it hangs over the sides"?

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  19. Haggisman

Capodecina

Of course :confused:

This is why proper lifting technique is to pick up long heavy objects with 1 hand in the middle, rather than 1 hand at each end, so that they weigh less...

20. touch

Capodecina

Agreed. Also why it's recommended to have someone help you with heavier lifts. One person right at each end means maximum overhang for each person and easiest lift.