• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I don't think my FreeSync is actually working

Caporegime
The version of the FreeSync windmill demo that is floating around only supports FreeSync in single gpu mode. So if you're using a 295x2 it may not work, as you cannot physically disable CrossFire with dual gpu cards.

I have an internal build that does support it, but i don't think think we've made it publicly available yet.

Associate
OP
Right, thanks for all the suggestions everybody.

I've now run both the windmill and pendulum demos a stupid amount of times trying every possible combination of FreeSync On/Off, Frame Pacing On/Off, Vsync On/Off and XFire On/Off (by using a profile in CCC and setting XFire to disabled).

The short version is that in both of these demos Freesync is definately not working with XFire enabled for me. With XFire On the performance in both is very poor, massive stuttering and screen flickering with VSync On and stuttering and tearing with VSync Off, Frame Pacing being on makes it even worse. The fact that there is tearing and even just different behaviour for VSync On/Off shows Freesync isn't working as within the Freesync range there should be no difference.

Now by using a profile to disable XFire it's a whole different matter. Now as expected changing the VSync setting makes no difference when inside the FreeSync range and both demos run buttery smooth with no stuttering and no tearing. It really does look good and I can finally see why everyone raves about adaptive sync.

So my problem now is how do I get it working with XFire enabled on a 295x2? First step will be to do another full driver uninstall and re-install but which driver version do we think is the best one to try?

Other than that is there anything else I can try. I did try turning MSI Afterburner off as suggested above but that made no difference.

If I can't get it sorted I'm tempted to just sell this 295x2 on and get a single 390 to tide me over until the next gen cards are out :(

Soldato
So my problem now is how do I get it working with XFire enabled on a 295x2? First step will be to do another full driver uninstall and re-install but which driver version do we think is the best one to try?

Other than that is there anything else I can try.

You could maybe ask matt:

'Does the 295x officially fully support mgpu FreeSync matt?':p

I have an internal build that does support it, but i don't think think we've made it publicly available yet.

Maybe AMD should release it?

Another good idea is that AMD should update their FSync faq and add a FSync fault finding/fix guide.

I want AMD back to where they should be-I can't say this enough-Delivery is key for AMD.:)

Soldato
The version of the FreeSync windmill demo that is floating around only supports FreeSync in single gpu mode. So if you're using a 295x2 it may not work, as you cannot physically disable CrossFire with dual gpu cards.

Well, you say that - but it definitely still works crossfired, you just don't get the toggle button and have to change it in CCC. I tested this on my XR34 before packing it up for RMA... again :/

Soldato
shankly didn't you do a demo in BF4 of Freesync working?
nails do you have BF4 that you could test it in?

I believe that Freesync only works in DirectX 10 and higher (or Mantle?) games, so if you're playing something that's using DX9 or OpenGL then that might explain why Freesync isn't working.
As Matt said, the windmill demo doesn't support Freesync (or at least the one we have access to doesn't).

Soldato
Since the OP hasn't stated what drivers or cable he is using I think it's worth mentioning again that Freesync will only work with DP 1.2 and an appropriate driver version.

It's possible the cable being used is not of acceptable quality even if it is a display port cable. Try another one and also make sure you are using the latest 15.11 beta drivers. Also try setting up Windows 7 and see if that solves the problem.

Associate
OP

I believe that Freesync only works in DirectX 10 and higher (or Mantle?) games, so if you're playing something that's using DX9 or OpenGL then that might explain why Freesync isn't working.
As Matt said, the windmill demo doesn't support Freesync (or at least the one we have access to doesn't).

I haven't got BF4 unfortunately so can't test that one out.

Since the OP hasn't stated what drivers or cable he is using I think it's worth mentioning again that Freesync will only work with DP 1.2 and an appropriate driver version.

It's possible the cable being used is not of acceptable quality even if it is a display port cable. Try another one and also make sure you are using the latest 15.11 beta drivers. Also try setting up Windows 7 and see if that solves the problem.

I've tried 2 different DP cables including the one supplied with the monitor now with no difference in behaviour.
Software wise I'm running Win 7 64bit and I've tried all the drivers from 15.7 up to 15.10 (not had a chance to try 15.11 yet) and they all behave the same.

I only had a little time over the weekend to get on the computer (having a 4 year old child and 7 week old baby is remarkably time consuming :)) but when I did I tried setting up a CCC profile for WoW disabling XFire and sure enough FreeSync was then working perfectly. It felt much smoother running at ~50 fps on a single gpu with FreeSync than it does at ~80 fps with XFire. Rather annoying given how much more the 295x2 cost over a single card.
Hopefully one evening this week I'll get a chance to do another driver un-install and go for the 15.11s see if they improve things.

I presume other people with a 295x2 have definitely got FreeSync working in XFire mode?

Soldato

Yeah I showed the range from 140fps down to 25fps.. You have to remember though a Youtube video doesn't show freesync off. But what I was trying to do is show just have much playable it was for me. It felt really smooth.

Associate
OP
Ok well I'm out of ideas now. I've just tried a full driver clear out and re-install with the latest 15.11 betas and still the same. Xfire enabled, no FreeSync and horrible stuttering, Xfire disabled and it's smooth as butter.
I've also just tried all of the following: -

Connected my monitor to every single port on the 295x2 just in case I had a faulty one.
Disabling my second monitor completely.
Disabling VSR.
Changing the repfresh rate down from 144Hz to 120Hz.
Turning off MSI Afterburner completely.

All had no effect, still no FreeSync with XFire.

I have a young baby at the moment so my free time is extremely limited and at the moment I'm spending all of it trying to fix problems so I think I'm just going to sell on the 295x2 and grab a single second hand 290 to tide me over for the moment so I can actually just sit down and play without hassle :(

Back
Top Bottom