I feel like I'm... done with gaming?

Soldato
Well a large part of it is games just aren't as good as they used to be. There are very few which stand out for me now. I think the last one I played properly was Witcher 3.

Soldato
I've been like that for years but still religiously purchase the latest PlayStation on day 1 even though it may as well be a doorstop.
I remember as teenagers and even into our 20s my brother and I + our mates would be up all night gaming from the days of the Sega Master System and onward. Even in my 30s I was playing BF2, Counter Strike Source etc. Now I really couldn't care less. As someone else said, I think I came to realise there's so much more I could and indeed should be doing with my life than playing video games.

VR might mark a return, it does look pretty cool. But I imagine I'll quickly grow tired of that too.

Soldato
I'm also 47 and remember my early days playing Jetpac for 9 hrs (swapping with a friend) to see what happens at 999,999 or playing a games several times to make a map and submit it to Crash magazine :)

Not too long a go I also suddenly lost the urge to play pretty much everything for a while. I mostly lost my patience so eventually got back into easy to pick up games and FPS shooters and open world games. I haven't played a properly in depth RPG or RTS game for a few years but Battletech is getting me hooked again.

I'm almost certain it was a bit of mid-life crisis but I sat down and sorted all my finances, pension etc. which has helped with life in general.

Oddly it's VR now for me I have no interest in. I had a pre-order Vive and sold it after 6 months then bought another for Christmas. It's currently sat by my PC with the Gear VR lens + 3D printed adaptors ready to install but I just can't be bothered at the mo.

Man of Honour
It was like a switch just flipped in my brain that totally removed my interest in games. I've looked through my game libraries and wishlists, but I feel... nothing. Not the slightest desire to play anything.

I had this exact thing about 10 years ago

Did games development, got a games dev job which didn't work out and at that point my love for gaming died and I just stopped playing them almost overnight. Sold all my consoles and PC. Occasionally bought a console to try get back in to it but would sell it a couple of months later.

Didn't play them really for about 8 years. Then I had a kid and what little social life I had went down the pan so I bought a gaming PC and now I play games most evenings once every one is in bed, even streaming now.

Time away isn't always a bad thing

Soldato
I would'nt worry to much, just go and do other stuff. Who knows why we suddenly stop doing the things we love or start new adventures, maybe you're at that stage of your life where you stop and take stock. Mid Life Crisis. Or you just have other things on your mind.

I'm 60 this year and have been struggling to get into a lot of the games I love, the only one recently(last 6 weeks) that I've played is BL2. I look through all my Steam, Uplay and Origin game lists and can't be bothered. A few I've logged in and then out, straight away.

Don't see your name on the OCUK Discord server, unless you are using a different name, if not, then come and join us. We run a good community and I think you'll find a few members that have gone through this. Who knows, you might find something to relight the spark.

https://discord.gg/d2PKsN

My IGN on OCUK Discord is Gam35t3r.

Man of Honour
I often find myself in a bit of a lul these days where nothing takes my fancy. I don't play online games anymore. Then I find games like AC Origins and Far Cry 5 that I can't put down. Too many of the classics just don't get made anymore - we used to get so many great games 'back in the day'. I would love many of the Star Wars/Star Trek games to get remade with todays tech. Unfortunately it is all about mobile games and Fortnight now that just don't interest me.

Associate
I was the same for a few years. I was a hardcore gamer for 10-15 years. I started playing less and less until, most of my time was used sitting around, watching tv and doing other bits and bobs.
I finally got back into it when pubg came out. I'm even trying add a little bit more to my time by streaming to twitch at the same time. It's certainly more entertaining to yourself with the chance someone could be watching what you're doing. Each to their own though :)
Now I'm thinking about the next upgrades and the next games that are coming out in 2018. PUBG has certainly revitalised the gamer in me.

Soldato
I find it harder to get into games now I'm older I have to say. I essentially just play PUBG now as it's the only game I have that I want to play! That said, sometimes random games catch my attention but it's not often.

Associate
47 here too, recently updated my main gaming rig (I have 3 in fact!) for sim racing. I hardly ever use the blasted thing as it's upstairs in a small office and it just doesn't feel right to be stuck in there for hours on end. I also have a Rift up there too gathering dust. I definitely think where your gaming setup is located has some bearing on how often you might use it. I use my living setup for a bit of Golf/The Hunter Call of the Wild/Spintires and that's about it. I'm often away for weeks at a time and when I come home I do enjoy gaming again.

Soldato
36 and I used to play daily until about 2 years ago, I'll now play for a week here and there but then lose interest. I'm 30 hours into AC: Origins and I've stopped.

For me, it's that gaming is a way to pass the time and escapism and as I get older I wonder what I'll have left behind when I die. What impact am I leaving on the world and the truth is, if all you do is game you're doing nothing productive. I couldn't become a master carpenter in the time I've wasted gaming, I could have built boats, furniture, benches, houses, things that will last after I've gone.

I know it's a little hippy-ish but life is too short and to pass having nothing to show for it apart from a collection of games and digital characters on a server is rather a waste of your life.

Associate
For the most part, I feel the same way OP. Games that used to suck me in, such as Battlefield, Left4Dead, Farcry, Assassins Creed, Deus Ex, Sniper Elite, Total War, and countless MMORPG's to name a few. One thing I realise about these games, is that not much changes from game to game, so it doesn't take long before you burn out on them. Now I really only jump on Overwatch a couple of times a week and recently been messing about on From the Depths. I've really been considering taking a break from PC gaming and maybe investing in something like the Nintendo switch for games I feel like I'm missing out on (Never played a Zelda game before!).

For me, the only thing that will get me exited on PC would be another Elder Scrolls, Bioshock, or Fallout game.

I haz 4090!
Don
For me, it's that gaming is a way to pass the time and escapism and as I get older I wonder what I'll have left behind when I die.

I totally get this. I feel the same way sometimes. I haven't married, or had children yet. My playboy days are behind me and sometimes I get confused as to what I want out of life.

Back
Top Bottom