I feel like I'm... done with gaming?

Soldato
I am pretty much done with gaming also these days other than the fifa league i'm in which equates to about 10 games a week. I am 31 and have been gaming on and off since I was a kid, I was obessed with Starcraft at one point and last couple of years its been fifa ultimate team. Both games particularly stressful as they super competitive and i can't be bothered with the stress of it nowadays. I have enjoyed games like the Witcher but currently I have no desire to delve deep into games like that again.

I took up guitar earlier this year and I am having a great time learning it, sure it can be frustrating at times but it doesn't leave me raging like a losing streak on fifa/starcraft for example. It will also benefit me socially as eventually i'll start playing with others and stuff like that.

Associate
a lot of singleplayer games have just become so tedius. Even RDR 2 is a game I quite like but I can only do a couple of missions at a time until I have to make a long journey etc which I know will just take too long so I quit.
Ghost Recon Breakpoint I like to play as well(offline) but again the same kind of thing I clear a couple of missions and then quit.

Soldato
VR is like resetting the clock and going back to the early, exciting days of computer games when everything was new and we were discovering new gameplay types and games every day. It's revitalised my interest in games.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
VR is to expensive though.

Your done with gaming laying out £600 for VR then possibly another £600 for hardware upgrades, its a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

But games are just **** at the moment.

Associate
Im old and grumpy, but not convinced the control system is an upgrade.

I paid for 15 mins of vr at the shopping centre. The first 5 minutes were so mind blowing I was convinced I would order my own system, that day. Got bored after 10 mins and handed the headset back early.

I can see headsets being popular with game pads for sims etc. But we are doomed to sit on our asses.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Same old, same old.

Production values and spangly graphics do not make a good game, sure you get a game that has spangly graphics, decent production values and turns out to be a good game but this is a once in every 10 years experience.

I want to try VR but i am not paying the rip off prices for it currently, 15-20 years ago i would have been all over it like a rash, I would sooner stick the money in a ISA its the gaming blues big time.

Caporegime
I find myself in a bizarre situation. I've got quite a big back log of highly rated games to play on PC, like Quantum Break, Batman Arkham Knight, Borderlands 3, The Evil Within 2, Shadow of the Tomb Raider to name a few.

So why the heck am I spending all my time playing old games of yesteryear like Mass Effect - and on my PS3 no less. It just seems like I'm averse to actually playing things on PC at the moment.

Soldato
I know this is an old thread but since it’s been revitalised I thought I’d add my thoughts...

I’m mid thirties now, I have to say VR really revitalised my desire to game, and oddly it went beyond VR too as I started playing a few normal PC games too.

The VR move has changed my preference now though and driving/flying sims are now my most played category by far... I did however love Alyx, so there’s clear potential for other formats of VR games to snag my attention but not many have yet proved sufficiently compelling for me.

I think it’s all normal, my interests in various hobbies waxes and wanes over the years!

VR is like resetting the clock and going back to the early, exciting days of computer games when everything was new and we were discovering new gameplay types and games every day. It's revitalised my interest in games.

The same thing happened to me as you two guys. I was getting very bored of normal gaming. Made up my mind to buy the Rift when it went on sale. Was full sure I was wasting my money and that it would become an expensive paperweight. Instead it became the best thing I have ever bought for my PC. It completely changed my attitude to gaming. Just like you Ravenger, it brought me back to those early days of PC gaming when every game was new. And VR also brought back my interest in normal pancake gaming too. Now I switch between both and I am back to enjoying my gaming again.

VR is to expensive though.

Your done with gaming laying out £600 for VR then possibly another £600 for hardware upgrades, its a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

But games are just **** at the moment.

why would you have to pay out £600 for a headset? and why would you have to pay out £600 for hardware upgrades? Your PC is fine for VR and you could get any Oculus Rift S for £399 which would run great on your PC. Or you could get an Oculus Quest, which you could use anywhere and you don't even need a PC. Rumour is that they are launching another headset soon that's going to be cheaper and better than the current Quest.

Associate
xbox pass has definitely boosted things for me.

i'm tempted with VR despite bad experiences, as have fewer outlets to spend cash right now... and am getting more into sims

Is the Oculus rift S @ 400 the best entry into this?

Otherwise, quite looking forward to the kids growing up a bit to give me an excuse to play more childish games.

Last edited:
Soldato
All the free stuff on the EPIC game store has been pretty amazing and then I signed up to MS Gamepass. There is now always something I can have a dabble with whenever I fancy a game.

These days I probably spend more time following the games industry via podcasts and news articles than actually playing games. But having new releases on Game pass means I can try them and see what the fuss is about. Getting Flight simulator the other day for eample was a real treat and I've thoroughly enjoyed seeing the spectacle of it.

Its an amazing time for PC gaming I think and will only get better now more powerful consoles are arriving.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Only better in what way, honestly i am curious as to what you think will get better ?

More complex hardware = more complex dev time and more re-hash of the same thing to recover costs from the first time around, which stifles innovation in the long term.

(as before spangly graphics doth not make a good game)

Soldato
As a 42 year old myself who used to devour games, I'd say this is normal. I've gone through several spells where I've lost interest, but every once in a while something brings me back. I certainly don't think it's anything to worry about.
I'm in the small children phase of my life so I haven't played much lately, but the kids are starting to get into it, and it's enjoyable to see it through their eyes.

Associate
It's mainly an age thing for most people when it comes to games. This is normal and there is no point in trying to force yourself to like something you don't, just because you liked it in years gone by. Brain chemistry changes as you get older. Less serotonin and dopamine and the associated receptors occurs as you age, eventually leading to death. The best years of your life are when you are a child.

Also, have you ever sat there in front of 100s of games thinking about which one to play before deciding to play nothing? Same thing with movies. You have too much of an overwhelming selection of everything, it actually makes you lose motivation. Times aren't like they were in the 80s say, where you'd buy a single game for quite an expensive price in those days and play it to death for weeks or months before you could afford to buy another. These days, I have a large collection of everything, but no will to engage in any of it. I feel for some of these kids on youtube who love showing of their boxed walled collections. In 10 years or so, they'll wonder why they wasted so much time and money on these things.

Best thing to do is have a good clear out. Delete everything on your computer. Sell or throw away other tat and make your house a home. This is what people have been doing during this covid period to a certain degree anyway and wondering why the hell they bought the crap in the first place given that none of it truly improves your life or makes you happy.

Associate
Yes my brain is different now. But I can get a similar hit from doing things like sampling new games on subscription services, and watching twitch is good too.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm mid 30s now with a 3 yr old and when i do games esp on pc I honestly feel like smashing my pc to pieces nowadays, my favourite games were cs go and insurgency sandstorm and a little battlefield, but i barely get any time to play anymore maybe 2 hours a week I'm just SOOO crap at them now and its frustrates me so much as used to be so good, not to mention endless ******* updates on steam, origin, uplay, Xbox store, blizzard launcher and epic launchers I'm getting so so fed up of my pc, honestly feel like i just enjoy more chilling on the Xbox with a Forza and a little far cry occasionally

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
It's mainly an age thing for most people when it comes to games. This is normal and there is no point in trying to force yourself to like something you don't, just because you liked it in years gone by. Brain chemistry changes as you get older. Less serotonin and dopamine and the associated receptors occurs as you age, eventually leading to death. The best years of your life are when you are a child.

Also, have you ever sat there in front of 100s of games thinking about which one to play before deciding to play nothing?

No, lol!

Same thing with movies. You have too much of an overwhelming selection of everything, it actually makes you lose motivation.

Most movies suck today now I'm afraid. Crap stories, no passion and money is the only priority. The only people that seems to have passion are the computer/concept artists, sound and camera people.

Times aren't like they were in the 80s say, where you'd buy a single game for quite an expensive price in those days and play it to death for weeks or months before you could afford to buy another. These days, I have a large collection of everything, but no will to engage in any of it. I feel for some of these kids on youtube who love showing of their boxed walled collections. In 10 years or so, they'll wonder why they wasted so much time and money on these things.

Best thing to do is have a good clear out. Delete everything on your computer. Sell or throw away other tat and make your house a home. This is what people have been doing during this covid period to a certain degree anyway and wondering why the hell they bought the crap in the first place given that none of it truly improves your life or makes you happy.

A lot of games weren't exactly stellar in the 80s either.

Associate
Almost 40, 2 young kids, a job, the days of me being excited for the latest games and latest GPU's are long gone, VR rekindled my interest a few years ago and its all i played for about 2 years. It gets a rough ride but stadia has been my gaming saviour recently, I have little interest to turn on my PC, other than to use my Rift, with stadia I can play on my phone when the kids are playing or watching TV, or on the chromecast Ultra which I have on 2 TV's so its convenient, no downloads patches and its pretty instant, i have done more gaming on stadia in the last few months than I have in a year on my PC.

I have thought about giving my son my PC and Rift, and ill pick up a Quest 2 when it releases, righ now all I need is stadia and VR.
Two big spanners in the works for that plan is Rust and Star Citizen, Rust is one of my favorite games ever, and if there is one game I want to play on PC, its Rust, I still follow its development and gets better all the time. And Star Citizen is the game im most excited for in the future, I backed it a few years ago and watched it grow, I put it on hold due to the bugs, even as a fan and backer, star citizen can be infuriating to play..

Associate
Varies from person to person,

When I had a bit more free time it was about not burning out/too much of a good thing and I think I covered that before.. it is literally just knowing when to take a step back until you get bitten.

As I get older I'm at peace with the whole "don't have enough time" side of it
Its the lack of community.. the interaction/team play and just having a laugh with others
If I wanted the whole single player experience thing I'd go complete p**nhub ("Quagmire" arm be damned)

Back
Top Bottom