• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I found an OCUK scalper...

Man of Honour
A) read the post: card would have been sold at a loss after postage. (doesn't take a big brain to calculate how "excessive" the pricing could have been). Oops.

I thought I remembered this incident differently, so I went back and checked and you're being a bit economical with the truth here. :edit: or perhaps just not fully understanding what happened and/or why.

You made a GPU for sale thread in the MM when every man and his dog were listing, or thinking of listing their GPU to take advantage of the insane value of second hand cards. There were many instances of people selling cards for profit, especially those that had been bought second hand in the first place. As moderators, we have a duty of care for those that deal inside the MM, which includes ensuring that the spirit of the place is adhered to, in order protect the community. We've must have brought 50+ users who listed GPUs in to FCD - banning them temporarily to prevent a deal continuing - to ask them for proof of their purchase price. You didn't tell us your purchase price, so you didn't continue to sell it here. It has nothing to do with how much you say you paid vs how much you were charging, we needed some sort of evidence to satisfy our justified suspicion that you were making £££ on an item. Your ban was lifted swiftly once the issue was concluded. If you had shown us evidence, you absolutely could have charged what you paid + postage, no problem.

Associate
They should get a special icon or badge next to their name on the forum lol.

Here here! Reminds me of the time I met up with a bunch of folks from a band's forum prior to a gig, I then went to aftershow drinks with them and the band. I'd eaten horrendous stuff all day and after a series of gusts later earned the permanent forum tag of "Death Fart". I've rarely been so proud.

Associate
OP
I thought I remembered this incident differently, so I went back and checked and you're being a bit economical with the truth here. :edit: or perhaps just not fully understanding what happened and/or why.

You made a GPU for sale thread in the MM when every man and his dog were listing, or thinking of listing their GPU to take advantage of the insane value of second hand cards. There were many instances of people selling cards for profit, especially those that had been bought second hand in the first place. As moderators, we have a duty of care for those that deal inside the MM, which includes ensuring that the spirit of the place is adhered to, in order protect the community. We've must have brought 50+ users who listed GPUs in to FCD - banning them temporarily to prevent a deal continuing - to ask them for proof of their purchase price. You didn't tell us your purchase price, so you didn't continue to sell it here. It has nothing to do with how much you say you paid vs how much you were charging, we needed some sort of evidence to satisfy our justified suspicion that you were making £££ on an item. Your ban was lifted swiftly once the issue was concluded. If you had shown us evidence, you absolutely could have charged what you paid + postage, no problem.

I listed the card on here because UNLIKE every other man and his dog I was lucky enough to get a 3070 on your mm deals which I thanked you for and I'll thank you again, I still have it and despite the weird TV on the side of it and rgb vomit, I like it.

I also mentioned in that thread I bought the gpu during the crisis, as I stupidly (like many others) sold my 2080 over a year ago, expecting to get a 3080 at launch, got fed up with waiting and then got the 1080, sold eventually at loss after fees +post.

I asked for the listing to be removed before it was even looked at because I didn't want to break the rules, and was told they were selling for 260 quid I think you said, which is by my terms peanuts, for something that was at the time selling for £450 elsewhere.

One thing you've got to understand is just because these cards are selling at crazy prices second hand it doesn't mean people haven't ALREADY paid over the odds. Regardless, as I said at the time, if you see any more 1080s for 260 I'll have them, as imo is a bargain, having sold one for more than that BEFORE the pandemic. Currently buying parts for a pc for the Mrs, but not paying £350+for a 1080 or £500 for a 1080ti (basically a 3060) - please, let me know where these £260 1080s are so they can take my money

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah no one sells for profit ever, how dare they.
Normally the people in the distribution and retail chains add some kind of value.

Scalpers add nothing, in fact they take away value. You lose your consumer rights (etc).

All so the scalper can make a quick buck having added nothing of value in the process.

That's why it's different. They aren't helping anyone. They aren't producing anything. They aren't adding any value or providing any legitimate service.

They are just profiteering from a bad situation.

It's like the guy who tried to resell PPE for a profit during the pandemic. It's profiteering off a bad situation whilst making absolutely no positive contribution.

Soldato
So it's OK for retailers (ocuk included) to take the right beep out of customers by maximising profits with grossly overpriced products but when someone buys one and wants to sell it for profit that's a problem?? The double standards in this is hilarious.

All scalpers, gross profiteering is disgusting, OCUK included in that. If someone is stupid enough to buy at grossly over inflated prices from a retailer then that's on the idiotic buyer. As wrong as it is, it cant be OK for retailers to do it but frowned upon when Joe public does it.

Soldato
So it's OK for retailers (ocuk included) to take the right beep out of customers by maximising profits with grossly overpriced products but when someone buys one and wants to sell it for profit that's a problem?? The double standards in this is hilarious.

All scalpers, gross profiteering is disgusting, OCUK included in that. If someone is stupid enough to buy at grossly over inflated prices from a retailer then that's on the idiotic buyer. As wrong as it is, it cant be OK for retailers to do it but frowned upon when Joe public does it.

Its not really there has to be some rules in a MM and dont forget the forum is not directly linked to OCUK 'Store' its run by Moderators who volunteer their services. They dont get paid and they are not employed by OCUK. Plenty of people sell in the MM and adhere to these rules so its another quote of "if you dont like it then sell somewhere else"

Personally I find it quite fair and would much rather sell on MM then Ebay.

Associate

OC have been pretty reasonable tbf. They've lost and won on many of their GPU sales. Lost on pre orders, but then made up on high prices elsewhere. Also Gibbo has given us updates and done deals no other shop has done. In regard to general pricing, just shop elsewhere if the difference is massive.

I haven't followed the whole thread closely, but i don't recall continuous double standards being posted that you claim.

Caporegime
Normally the people in the distribution and retail chains add some kind of value.

Scalpers add nothing, in fact they take away value. You lose your consumer rights (etc).

All so the scalper can make a quick buck having added nothing of value in the process.

That's why it's different. They aren't helping anyone. They aren't producing anything. They aren't adding any value or providing any legitimate service.

They are just profiteering from a bad situation.

It's like the guy who tried to resell PPE for a profit during the pandemic. It's profiteering off a bad situation whilst making absolutely no positive contribution.

but whose fault is it for creating the bad situation? if manufacturers took some time to build up inventories rather than doing a paper release and slowly trickling out cards scalpers wouldn't do what they do.

Associate

I am sure that OcUK wish that it was a normal market, that there weren't still outstanding 3080 pre-orders that they haven't been able to meet nearly a year on and they could sell a gpu at MRSP. At least OcUK have said that they have increased their profits on some cards, so people could decide whether their pricing was good. It was also impossible for OcUk to sell a gpu at a reasonable price at times without being scalped. I would have loved the 6700xt Nitro deal but left it for other people to buy as I had a working card. However, some people bought it just to scalp it. I clearly remember seeing an ebay listing saying that the card had been from OcUK, this was despite there being a clear policy from OcUK that this was a card to keep for personal use. So scalpers have made it difficult for OcuK to do deals for customers

I wouldn't be surprised if OcUk take a loss on some other cards apart from the 3080 preorders. I know I will not be buying a Asrock 6700xt Phantom at current pricing (shame about Asrock's pricing as the card reviews well)

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit the banning on MM seems crazy to me. I myself bought from a competitor and listed a card under purchase price on MM without even a thought as to it being against any rules, and am still banned at the moment. Shame as I just sold 3 PCs with cards in them on competitor site for way under price and would rather have done in on here but what can one do.

Associate

It's completely ok.

Buying from a retailer guarantees you a warranty, enables distance selling regulations, guarantees you a new card, and more than likely a lower price. You might also get support depending on the product, plus a better RMA process should the worst happen. That to me is worth it.

Scalpers offer a second hand card, no warranty or regulations, no RMA process unless they feel like being nice, and might try and scam you. All for a higher price.

It's not really worth it unless you're ok with the potential for the product to be problematic with no recourse to a refund or replacement. And this is before the principle of avoiding middlemen who skim profit for no added value.

Man of Honour

None of this makes the blindest bit of difference to anything I said. The purpose of my post was to clear up the reason for your ban, as your post about it made it sound like it was unjustified. The simply fact is that your ban was put in place because we wanted to potentially prevent a rule break, as many were occurring at a fast pace at the time. Due to the fact that you didn't provide any evidence of purchase price when requested, your ban was lifted and the sale was not able to continue.

I must admit the banning on MM seems crazy to me. I myself bought from a competitor and listed a card under purchase price on MM without even a thought as to it being against any rules, and am still banned at the moment. Shame as I just sold 3 PCs with cards in them on competitor site for way under price and would rather have done in on here but what can one do.

The only thread you've posted in the MM since 2017 is a one in November 2020, for a spare 5600x that you were trying to shift at a price obviously above the price you paid. Your exact words were:

Ryzen 5 5600X for sale. Brand new. Ordered 2 by mistake in the chaos trying to secure one.

Just realised these are out of stock everywhere so will ask for £350 with delivery.

While I have nothing against you personally - and am completely down with people taking advantage of demand vs supply - the OcUK MM is not the place for it and this is made really quite clear in the rules. It's noteworthy that this is the first time you've mentioned it you've never raised this in Forum Content Discussion or with anyone in the mod team. Your ban will remain indefinitely until you open a dialogue with the mod team.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Really?! Where have you knowingly purchased a new card and received an opened one? That's not on.

As the wording of Tetras' post suggests, it's very common for cards to not come sealed now, the only "seal" is the sticker on the anti-static bag. It doesn't mean it's been opened, that's just the way things are now.

Associate
Really?! Where have you knowingly purchased a new card and received an opened one? That's not on.

It does happen. I purchased a 3060 from a well known retailer (not OcUK). The terms of their returns is that it must be returned as sold with protective covering etc, However, the card I received had the protective wrapping on the front of the gpu already taken off with just a little remaining. I spoke with their customer services who told me that they had been having issues with gpu being returned to them. I suspect by scalpers who didn't get what they wanted from trying to sell them or miners who didn't get the hash rate they wanted (the card was a v2 3060 which didn't work with the drivers which give the full hash rate)

Back
Top Bottom