I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Man of Honour
Yeah both of mine have 0.4mm though I have ones I can swap out for various sizes and they do 0.1mm layer detail fine. I've had 1-2 instances of them clogging but that was because I was pushing the printer into using more exotic filaments (mostly successfully in the printing just not good on the longer term maintenance of the printer) it isn't designed for.

PLA and water aren't really a good mix BTW - I've seen people trying to do things like DIY pumps and connections for tubing with it that didn't work out very well - even when you do things like over-extruding or post process smoothing they tend to have problems longer term from the exposure.

You have no idea of my expertise in 3d printing do you? Heads up, I'm in chargr of the 3d printers in the scc labs at Lancaster uni, inc the 5k formlabs sla printers.

Oh, and if you don't know that glow in the dark filament ruins brass nozzles (by enlarging the hole) then I suggest it's you who doesn't know how to set a printer up.

Hah I'm certainly no expert but I've run into people who are in charge of professional installations who clearly have no ****** clue beyond what they've been taught and hobbyists who live and breath 3D printing and know more than any one person should and vice versa.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm looking for a recommendation for a 3D printer.

I want one for printing of things for board games (custom trays/inserts) and other functional things.
Rather than models etc.

Ideally I want something which doesn't need fiddled with every time I need to use it, hassle free if possible haha

would need to be sub 1K, or my wife will kill me :p

Associate

I want one for printing of things for board games (custom trays/inserts) and other functional things.
Rather than models etc.

Ideally I want something which doesn't need fiddled with every time I need to use it, hassle free if possible haha

With that kind of budget you might as well get a prusa MK3S.

Man of Honour

Rather than models etc.

There are various Prusa MK3 clones as mentioned above or the original that only need like 3 screws/bolts to put together though can take a little while or something like the Monoprice 3D select models that come ready to print out the box (though the mini pro apparently has some issues - not sure if they've released a revision that fixes them yet). The Monoprice Select Mini V2 is pretty decent and can be had for around £150 if you get a bit lucky on the pricing but does have a 12cm max build size - realistically around 11cm with a reasonable margin for a brim. I'd probably recommend the Prusa i3 style printers (there are a few good clones as well as the original) due to the larger build volume and a bit better for doing things like trays - some printers are much better at doing things like figurine style prints but can warp a bit on things like front panels and trays, etc.

With that kind of budget you might as well get a prusa MK3S.

2nd that. My first printer was a cheapo Tevo Tarantula, which was a great introduction to 3D printing. Stock form was OK, but everything needed to be perfectly aligned to print half decently. Learned a LOT from that printer. Used it to print the parts to build a D-Bot, which I learned even more from (CoreXY kinematics are awesome) but still needed a lot of tweaking to print consistently.

Sold that, bought a MK3S. Never looked back. Effortless printing 95% of the time. If you've got the time, go the cheap kit route. If you just want to build and print, get a Prusa (and take your time building it, follow the instructions EXACTLY!).

Associate
Hi all

I just got my ender 3 pro today, I've put it all together and ive been playing with the menu's.
I pressed the auto home option, and the nozzle over hangs the front of the plate by about 5 mm.
I manually moved the bed to the right position, then selected "set home offsets", then tested by moving X, Y & Z then pressing "Auto home" again, then it goes back to over hanging slightly.
Is there any way to adjust this? Does this matter?

Cheers, Jason

Man of Honour
Quality of parts, firmware, support. It's pretty much night and day.

Quality of parts isn't a problem generally on the Monoprice stuff - though their auto-levelling bed seems to have some glitches (hence I recommend avoiding the pro variants until that is ironed out) the big difference is feature level support and the additional sensors, etc. that the Prusa has and I think you pay a bit extra for the existing support/ecosystem, etc. that Prusa has.

Associate
Hi all

I just got my ender 3 pro today, I've put it all together and ive been playing with the menu's.
I pressed the auto home option, and the nozzle over hangs the front of the plate by about 5 mm.
I manually moved the bed to the right position, then selected "set home offsets", then tested by moving X, Y & Z then pressing "Auto home" again, then it goes back to over hanging slightly.
Is there any way to adjust this? Does this matter?

Cheers, Jason

I think I worked it out, i don't know if there is a right or wrong way, but I just adjusted the rear position switch and its in a better position now.

Associate
What colour are the springs you have currently? The yellow/orange ones are the newer ones. Does the Ender 3 Pro have ABL?

J.

The springs are currently the original silver ones.
I have seen the uprated yellow ones, and then the solid mounts, I was just looking around at what upgrades are good for the printer.

I spent ages adjusting it yesterday ready to do a first test print today, was perfect, then went to print today and found it had moved overnight, so would like to sort it so I don't have to keep adjusting it.

Cheers

Soldato
Does anyone do printing to order on here? I have two stl files for a simple cover for my sam coupe network interface card. I tried places like shapeways, but with them being in the US etc. It was going to be like $90!!

Man of Honour
Does anyone do printing to order on here? I have two stl files for a simple cover for my sam coupe network interface card. I tried places like shapeways, but with them being in the US etc. It was going to be like $90!!

I don't do things to order but quite happy to help a member out, send me the STLs and I'll have a look and see how complex it'll be to print and how much material we're looking at.

How temperature resistant does it need to be?

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply! :) The two stl files are here, top and bottom:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2804076

Or I can email them.

I can't see it getting overly hot. It's just a cover for a expansion card. I hate having bare cards in use :(

Just poked the STLs into Cura, I can possibly have a look at printing them over the weekend, all time dependant really as its going to be roughly an 10 hour print time.

Only about £3 in PETG to print though.

Back
Top Bottom