I have no idea what to do with the rest of my life!

Caporegime
following on from the maintenance suggestion about - what about building security... ought to be a straightforward transition initially given OP's previous experience - must be better than dealing with drunks etc.. and nicer hours

even if not a long term proposition it could suffice until something else is decided upon

Associate
Sounds a bit of a tangent, but if you have a bit of personality and are willing to work your balls off then sales can pay very well. It also has a low threshold in terms of requirements, and right now there seems to be a serious shortage of decent sales people (in the North West at least). Every company needs to sell its products so there's generally work out there. Obviously you want to avoid soul destroying auto dialler stuff, but if you can land a b2b sales role then you don't have to deal with the public and the money is good.

I have tried cold calling before - didn't like that at all... What would be your thoughts on a car sales man role? or would you just stick with business to business sales?

Just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?

The area I live in, in my opinion isn't great for decent jobs, the salaries are below national average. Whereas as the salaries which are being offered in the major cities such as Manchester and London are much higher, for the same jobs. - for the record I have no intention on moving to London.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
following on from the maintenance suggestion about - what about building security... ought to be a straightforward transition initially given OP's previous experience - must be better than dealing with drunks etc.. and nicer hours

even if not a long term proposition it could suffice until something else is decided upon

I've done both and as much as the drunks can get annoying, building security whether that be empty sites or reception style stuff is soul destroying. At least with door work you've got a team and something to do.

Soldato
I have tried cold calling before - didn't like that at all... What would be your thoughts on a car sales man role? or would you just stick with business to business sales?

Just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?

The area I live in, in my opinion isn't great for decent jobs, the salaries are below national average. Whereas as the salaries which are being offered in the major cities such as Manchester and London are much higher, for the same jobs. - for the record I have no intention on moving to London.

I work in advertising sales (currently radio, previously press).

Cold calling is a bit of a grind, but when you are calling businesses it is infinitely better than ringing consumers who really really don't want to hear from you. It's generally a part of the job unless you find an inbound only role, so if it's not for you then sales is probably not your thing. I don't mind it because if I close a decent deal that's a couple grand extra in my pay that month. That's what makes sales a good sector: you can enter higher salary brackets faster than, for instance, if you started in IT where you'd have to grind through first line on a rubbish salary first.

Generally speaking you do have to start with a telesales role, but as long as there is no auto dialler and its b2b then they are generally an easy way to earn about £27k

Caporegime
I've done both and as much as the drunks can get annoying, building security whether that be empty sites or reception style stuff is soul destroying. At least with door work you've got a team and something to do.

there was a team at my previous office, they'd rotate the guy at the door, one of them would put on a big silly coat and walk around the outside of the building, another would chat up the receptionists and another two would operate the airport style bag scanner... I'm sure there were a couple more having a break in their office too at any one time.

It was just a suggestion as something to make the break from working on doors and could perhaps be temporary until OP figures out something else. If he's got kids then working ridiculously late probably isn't ideal. Then again Diddum's suggestion seems to be pretty awesome... mine was just a temporary suggestion for him as he's already got some relevant experience in 'security' in the wider sense.

Back
Top Bottom