I need advice on my dog's health urgently!

Soldato
My girl was put down last year, I've still not hoovered the rear boot panel in the beemer as it's still caked in her fluff (border collie, blue merle). Very similar to yours, ended fast.

Know your pain mate, hope you're doing ok and get some of them pictures printed and framed. All well and good on social media/on your phone. But nothing like a printed picture of a loved one.

Soldato
I'm very sorry to hear this, owning 4 dogs myself, I'm dreading when this finally happens.

I think I'd be having strong words with your vet though, based on what you've posted previously and today, I'm not entirely sure they were acting in the best interests of the animal.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the kind words gents. Really appreciated.

Labs really are the best dogs, our other dog is a pomeranian/lhaso apso cross - mainly a house dog - and whilst we love him to bits too, he just isn't as kind natured and easy going.

The vet we visit is pretty much an equine vet (she looks after my brother in laws dads horses) and even looks after farm animals, but has a small practice where she takes dogs and cats etc too. We reckon she's kind of matter of fact about animals and so maybe doesn't have as much sympathy toward pets? Clutching at straws here, either way not happy with how she went about things - especially on Tuesday night, she should have came out at half 9 and put him out of his pain, rather than him having to suffer a few ours and die of the tumour rupturing! I don't get their stance really, if we're paying then what's the problem?

No plans to get another big dog just yet. However, we've had a black and a white lab now so maybe a chocolate one is in order. It's hard with labs as they do end up with health problems, our last one was 10 and now Riley has died at only 8. Time will tell...

Associate
Sorry to hear this.

My friend just lost one of her greyhounds and it was like losing a family member. Leg joint started swelling up very quickly and biopsy showed it was an aggressive cancer. Common with greyhounds apparently. It was put down about two weeks after noticing the swelling and last few days was in so much pain. Scary stuff.

Soldato
Very sorry for the loss and condolences.

Sad fact is when you take on a pet, they're not going to outlive you and there will be tough decisions at the end.

So far we've had two cats both of whom had to be PTS after they went downhill fast during their last days. It's a huge wrench and one of the few occasions you see this grown man weeping uncontrollably.

And while it will never replace the friend and companion you just lost, in both cases we went out no more than a few days later and arranged to adopt a new cat - with a whole host of new and occasionally interesting (if not downright barmy) fun to look forward to.

Caporegime
I don't think I've said it yet despite being in and out of the thread from the start, must have just thought it...

RIP to your old mate OP, my condolences for your loss. It is awful losing a dog, they are such loving creatures and they truly do become part of the family. I'm sure you gave him a wonderful life and he is at peace now, chasing rabbits in the sky. You could do no more. Be at ease. :)

Associate
We have a 14 year old greyhound, starting to have trouble standing and walks longer than 15 mins are too much, sure this will be her last spring/summer, I know how I feel and she is still going so my thoughts are with you and your family

Soldato
Rip pup :( so sorry for ur loss :( they really are members of the family, you'll never understand unless you have a dog, my pup is nearly 2, hopefully many years ahead yet but already I can't imagine life with out her.

Hope u and ur family will be ok

Back
Top Bottom