I need breakdown cover.

Soldato
2 Cars, 2005 Boxster, 2004 Megane. Don't need homestart, but do want recovery to destination, UK only.

AA\RAC\Greenflag are offering cover for about 100 for both cars. Who is best?

RescueMyCar are offering it for 29 quid per car. They send out a local garage.

Any other recomendations\discount codes for the big 3?

Commissario
Our family are with the AA, I think it's about £200 per year, but it covers all 4 of us and we can use it on any car - they cover the person, not the car.

Soldato
£90?!

Mine was £50 for 13 months, they tried to charge me £65 including call out discount (amusing as I'm made loads of call outs but still got a discount) at renewal...I cancelled...not having a car means cover is a bit pointless.

I've always found RAC to be good when I've called them out. :)

Soldato
OP
Yea, insurance was renewed today and I wasn't impressed last time I used their breakdown cover, so didn't renew breakdown (price is comparable of RAC etc).

Best deals found are;
- RAC via tesco - 28 quid for the recovery service. Didn't have enough CC points tho.
- RAC via Aviva - 59 quid for 1 car as opposed to 68.

I'll call RAC and see if they can price match Aviva - don;t really want a 3rd party involved.

Associate
I'm with Auto Aid. I've never had to claim using them so I cannot personally comment but they have hundred and hundreds of great reviews knocking about.

It is a pay and claim scheme which means you find your own breakdown company and pay up front and claim the expenses back from Auto Aid. If you do not know of any suitable breakdown companies you can phone Auto Aid who will find one for you, on your behalf. So long as you deal with the pain of paying in advance (Though you are paid within 14 days IIRC therefore pay on a credit card and you'll never notice the difference) and feel comfortable with the limited paperwork you have to supply (A claim form is on their website if you fancy having a look first) then it seems ideal.

Many of the previously mentioned reviews confirm that claiming is simple (I was originally concerned that Auto Aid would try and worm out of payment on occasion but this does not seem to be the case at all!).

And your reward for this extra effort? A policy with all of the bells and whistles for £37.00 - And your legal spouse is covered in this too. Includes the likes of caravan cover which many charge for additionally.

It's a policy for you rather than the vehicle so also useful if you use various cars.

Worth checking out in my opinion :).

Soldato
I also have Auto Aid but as yet have not had to use them *touchwood* so can't comment on their claiming procedure, however loads of comments about them are positive (moneysavingexpert recommend them)

Back
Top Bottom