I30N Fastback insurance.

Soldato
Can anyone please tell me why I’m getting cheaper quotes for a Hyundai I30N fastback than I am a 1.0 Honda Civic?
Seems crazy to me.
I’ve been quoted £260 fully comp with zero excess.

Soldato
OP
yeah noticed it has really low insurance costs as well. It's 1/4 of the price of insuring an m140i for me. Will be interesting to see the pricing for the i20n which should be out in the next 1-2 months.

There's a bunch of ex fleet/demo i30n's being sold at the moment. At least half have gone in the last few days.

They seem to have incredible real world performance, despite being on the heavy side.
I must admit I’m tempted as my ICE swansong.

Soldato
OP
My i30N was very low on insurance, and also yeah they're not massively stolen, certainly not as likely as an Audi, VW or Ford. But they are very much liked for a Jewellery heist

Sort of like the MK1 vRS whilst everyone was still laughing at Skoda, they where actually a very good car as far as the MK4 Golf went.
I was working for Neil Simpson Skoda talking about the MK1 he said the power output was above the quoted 180bhp to put Skoda on the map.
It did, it was (VW) Skodas first serious car.

Soldato
OP
Exactly that.

As it seems you're pretty keen on getting one.

Just make sure you run it through the gears, some have a 5th to 6th synchro issue... that is your only thing to look out for as they're pretty damn reliable, I didn't have a single issue in my two years of ownership.

Thanks, yes they are certainly on my radar.
I’ve not seen anything else I like better CTR just too OTT, especially for Manchester.

Soldato
OP
Cars certainly aren’t in groups like they used to be.
I know they are supposed to be but in reality it doesn’t seem to work that way.
Incidentally the higher specced Civic SR is cheaper to insure than a Civic SE

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Seems like a pointlessly overpowered car even if the insurance is cheaper. Absolutely no reason to buy one over a 1 litre.

It’s all about the acceleration, the push in the back - so I am told.

to be honest I would have got the Civic 1.5t but there are problems with that engine. Seeing that the majority of the use our car gets is my G/F commute in traffic you are indeed correct.
The plan was to sell the Z4 & Civic and just maintain 1 vehicle.
(Plus my essential van of course).

The Civic and my previous Octavia vRS both serve the exact same purpose.
The Civics nicer to drive, the Skoda was much faster. My cruising speed is the same in both, the Civic is far more economical on a run.
Enjoyed both cars.
(Shame I can’t have a new Civic with a 20vt)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To summarise, I was shocked that a new performance car like the i30n was cheaper to insure than our Civic.
I’ve been researching them and the real world performance looks outstanding.
I also like the style of the fastback, I would be happy to own one.
I have no immediate plans to rush out and change my car, considering the current economical climate.

Soldato
OP
Yeah this is what I'm thinking right now. The latest hot hatches are soo bloody fast for real road driving, it's hard to really push them and get that feeling without silly speeds.
Going to keep an eye on the i20n deals when they come out. The Fiesta ST looks fun as well, but suspension sounds too harsh for UK roads.

See this is it.
I had my eye on the i20n
I have already had a sit in the new i20 in anticipation.
It’s a similar size to a MK2 golf, low weight, 200bhp. (Plenty IMO)
Everything I was after.
Then I watched a video of it cocking it’s back wheel (my Nova SR used to do the same thing back in the day).
I dare say it’s a great fun car, but I’m almost 50 not 25.

Soldato
OP
What type of usage will you have with the i30N?

Is it going to be for fun drives or commuting too?

You might find the suspension a little hard if you’re going to daily it :)

No immediate intentions of getting one.
I was having a look after reading another thread on here, swapping a Focus ST for one.
The Civic we have rides and handles perfectly for our needs.

Soldato
OP
Oh well if you enjoy the focus ST I would have thought the ride will be similarly setup

What’s the insurance like on the focus?

Wasn’t me with a focus ST. I had a MK1 Octavia vRS.
I know just buy looking at it/sitting in it I would like the i30n.
I didn’t realise how competent it was against other established manufacturers.

Soldato
OP
Same reason I bought an MGTF when I was 19 rather than a Corsa or Fiesta... Old farts drive those, less likely to crash etc etc makes them less risky than the typical teen banger...

The fact it was mid engined, had 160 horses and rear wheel drive didn't factor as much as the "people aspect"

There’s a lot to be said for going in under the radar.
We have a Z4 for weekend fun.
Although our base model civic isn’t actually any less fun on a twisty road.(featherweight punchy engine, fully independent suspension and grippy tyres).
I’m constantly looking, but really should be content with what we have.
My next purchase will be a newer van.
What do you drive now btw?

Back
Top Bottom