• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5 2500k bottleneck for 7970?

Soldato
I'm just wondering.

What are the real world gaming benefits of overclocking? (Your modern i5/i7 CPU that is not GPU)

By modern I mean either Sandy or Ivy.

I can see the point of overclocking the 'last generation i5 and i7'

bit higher min fps mainly.
depends on game, bc2 for me at 5040x1050 stock vs oc to 4.7ghz 2500k then the game slows down and a bit less fps at how I set it up.
for me its a big difference at 1920x1080 I would assume less difference.

Permabanned
"No. Not THAT much difference between 1080 and 1200. In fact the difference is negligible"

You sure? Ive tried a few games and when i go 1080 it gives more fps but some games stick the black lines on?

So the fan is bolted to the case, hows it connecting to the CPU? Is there no thermal paste on the CPU? I dont understand?

Soldato
"No. Not THAT much difference between 1080 and 1200. In fact the difference is negligible"

You sure? Ive tried a few games and when i go 1080 it gives more fps but some games stick the black lines on?

So the fan is bolted to the case, hows it connecting to the CPU? Is there no thermal paste on the CPU? I dont understand?

I'm undoing the waterblock/Pump part of the H100i.. 4 bolts and it lifts of the cpu.

P1070527.jpg

Soldato
Undo 4 screws, remove cooler.

Undo CPU clip, remove CPU.

Clean old TIM off cooler.

Place new CPU in socket, small blob of TIM on CPU and reseat cooler.

Carefully tighten 4 screws.

Clean TIM off old CPU.

Job done.

Last edited:
Soldato
2500K back in now.

Pc looks a bit different to that photo as I replaced all the fans with Corsair SP140's. It's like a wind tunnel now really impressed with them.

Caporegime
I agree with me old mucker rusty. :cool:

Myself and the OP did a test before 12.11 and i did one after 12.11 came out. On these parts fps didnt change and if they did it was only by 1-2 fps.

I had a 7970 plus i5 overclocked and he had two 560ti's overclocked plus an i5 overclocked to the same speed.

In these two screenshots we both had fps dropping to around 40-50 per screenshot. They were idential in the fps drops. All i did was change to an i7 and that has now turned into 85 and 61 minimum fps.

This is just one small example and all i have to hand, i didn't think about needing to justify the claims on a forum. :D

This is also not a great example as the server i was on was empty. There are just certain points on certain large 64 man maps where fps can dip with an i5 that i don't see with an i7.

As i said, its slight and probably not something you would notice but i look for these things.

I even compared my fps with dave beast and we had similar systems but he had an i7 compared to my i5 and in certain parts he was getting better minimums than me.

This is on running a full ultra preset. Not disabling anything, all eye candy and most demanding on busy 64 man maps.

A few other spots i can think of. Top of the Hotel at G on Gulf Of Oman. Caspian boarder leaving the US base looking across the whole map.

I'll leave it at that because i think people will remain sceptical regardless, just posting what i and others here have found. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I find it hard to believe since gregster has just confirmed CPU bottlenecking doesnt affect minimum FPS.

The only FPS is maximum so if you can play above say 40 its really pointless and i doubt an I7 offers 20+ fps over and i5 seriously are you mad?

I confimed no such thing. All I showed was games that are not CPU intensive will not bottleneck the minimums and averages. BF3 and sim style games use the CPU, so you will see minimums drop. I agree that my fps increased after switching from an I5 to a 3930K in MP. The biggest problem with Nvidia and SLI is it never uses the GPUs at 99%, so hard to confirm anything in BF3.

Yep, an i5 will bottleneck top end latest gen cards, good move Matt :D

Gregster doesn't know everything you know!

Agreed and hate being quoted wrongly.

Soldato
Not sure why I found it not to bottlekneck or any great difference between the 2500k at 4.5ghz and the 2700k at 4.5ghz. Both CPU's keep both the 7950's at %99 usage. Bf3 on ultra settings everything set to max ran as smooth as butter on both with no visible difference with both cpu's not dropping below 70fps.

Will have another play later today and see.

Last edited:
Soldato
So what is the morale of this story? Spend £100+ on a 3770K compared to a 2500K, or keep a 2500K and buy another 7950 for crossfire, or just do both? lol

Back
Top Bottom