• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I5-2500K time to upgrade??

Soldato
I do personally think the 2500k has given itself the same legendary status as the likes of the q6600, both fantastic chips holding up well many years after its replacement :)
True - it's why I have my q6600 G0 stepping boxed up for nostalgia after it was retired from my young sons starter rig a few months ago (along with another of my old favourites the T-bird and original pencil mark on the L1 bridge).

The 2500K will probably go into the same box when I retire it after my daughter has finished with it...

Soldato
True - it's why I have my q6600 G0 stepping boxed up for nostalgia after it was retired from my young sons starter rig a few months ago (along with another of my old favourites the T-bird and original pencil mark on the L1 bridge).

The 2500K will probably go into the same box when I retire it after my daughter has finished with it...

My Q6600 is still in use in a family member's pc so I will make sure to get it back to keep one day :)

Associate
I have been lucky with cpu's

I had a q6600 that overclocks well

I had a phenom 2 1055t that I picked up cheap 2nd hand that would overclock to 4ghz on all six cores.

I then picked up a 2600k years ago 2nd hand that clocks straight to 4.5ghz with no problems and is still my current pc.

Soldato
My Q6600 is still in use in a family member's pc so I will make sure to get it back to keep one day :)

I would have too if my MB hadn't died beneath it - they're still a great CPU for the right user. And there's something very satisfying about a ~10 year old CPU still holding its own for the home office user and even gamer with the right GPU :)

It's possibly my all time favourite - although the 2500/2600k are equally nuts in their own right...

Soldato
I would have too if my MB hadn't died beneath it - they're still a great CPU for the right user. And there's something very satisfying about a ~10 year old CPU still holding its own for the home office user and even gamer with the right GPU :)

It's possibly my all time favourite - although the 2500/2600k are equally nuts in their own right...

For a general use desktop it's still as good as anything else I think. Struggling to find reason to upgrade my 2600k, main reason being is I would want to have a big upgrade, not a small step up, which means ££££ :(

Soldato
Struggling to find reason to upgrade my 2600k, main reason being is I would want to have a big upgrade, not a small step up, which means ££££ :(

I can empathise - and all these Ryzen threads where i'm gently trying to convince people of their benefits over some of their INTEL counterparts is not helping that itch. Really making it difficult to resist - but I really can't justify it.

To make matters worse is I actually have a wife who is saying 'upgrade' - as she's confused as to why I haven't upgraded in such a long time.

Associate
I can empathise - and all these Ryzen threads where i'm gently trying to convince people of their benefits over some of their INTEL counterparts is not helping that itch. Really making it difficult to resist - but I really can't justify it.

To make matters worse is I actually have a wife who is saying 'upgrade' - as she's confused as to why I haven't upgraded in such a long time.
You have a wife telling you to upgrade? :cool:

What more do you need? :D

I upgraded my 2600k to a Ryzen 1600 just because I wanted a new platform with up to date drivers and could afford to do it without much hassle.

I missed the fun in building a rig and had a great day doing so. I have seen some benefits in gaming with Ryzen having higher minimum frames so it appears smoother across the board.
And in general I am seeing a smoother running system.

But seriously if you can't justify it then that's understandable. :)

I sold parts from an older rig which I didn't have to do but did so as I wasn't going to build another pc with parts that old. That was from an i7 860 build.

Soldato
You have a wife telling you to upgrade? :cool:

What more do you need? :D

I know - i'm missing a trick. But we have builders imminent (so they keep telling me) and I want to see what the inevitable overspend is when they leave - coincidently this will probably be due to wife's suggestions too :)

I missed the fun in building a rig and had a great day doing so.

That's it in a nut shell - and suspect andy_mk3 feels the same - it's that anticipation of compiling a whole new rig and 'finally' around a new flavour of CPU after a wait of 10 years (Yay!) - it's the full monty of building pleasure.

I've got to stop replying to these threads - it's like a 'small fix' but then i start to think about it more... :)

Associate
In the same boat. Still love my Sandy 2500k. Only recently overclocked it 4.2Ghz when I got my RX480. It runs 12 hours a day most days so tended to underclock it to keep it cool.

When I got the GPU I applied new paste although temps are still higher than I would like at 52c to 56c at idle with stock cooler. Running as few volts as I can through it for longevity and it will pass down to the kids when the Ryzen itch is scratched... probably within the next 3-6 months once the memory issues are sorted and Ram/SSD prices reduce from the insane to the plain ridiculous

Soldato
If your wife is telling you to upgrade her to a better model then go for it :D

If you are not that brave my ryzen build was easy enough and it is much faster than the i5-760 it replaced. When playing bf1 at 1080p the cpu is at about 33% while my gpu is at 100%, in a warm house max cpu temp on stock speed is 53c in game using the amd cooler that came with the cpu. . I will over clock it when i need to.

Associate
I went from a 2500k to my 4770k, which I've now had for a while.

If I had the will power, I'd keep my chips a lot longer! My 2500k was a beast, clocked to 4.9GHz easily enough and at 1080p it was more than ample. Obviously this was a few years a go though.

Caporegime
as with any upgrade is there a real benefit ?

just look at the games you play and if the cpu is holding you back.if you a bf1 player the answer is a massive yes.i know the fps drops on 2500ks on 64 man games.can drop down to 40-50 fps sometimes.on a decent 6 core cpu or above you will end up 50-60 fps more constantly.

Associate
Im still using the 2500k @ 4.4 ... and just upgraded my gpu to the GTX 1060 SC 6144MB .. It's flying through doom now at over 100fps @ 1080 .. I overclocked it using offset so its only doing 1.6ghz when idle ..

Soldato
Just did a Premiere encoding test.

2500K @ 4.2ghz - 1h 40min
1700 @ 4.0ghz - 40min

The magic of 4 more cores and 12 more threads :D

Is it possible to force that encoding to run on just one thread? I'd be interested to know how those two line up for single threaded stuff, since that's the speed I have my 2500k sitting at these days. Pretty sure the 1700 will have the edge, but not clear by how much :)

Associate
The magic of 4 more cores and 12 more threads :D

Is it possible to force that encoding to run on just one thread? I'd be interested to know how those two line up for single threaded stuff, since that's the speed I have my 2500k sitting at these days. Pretty sure the 1700 will have the edge, but not clear by how much :)

I turned off hyperthreading and it was 50mins.

Associate
Still 8 cores vs 4 though :) Although that is exactly half the time the 2500k does it, so that's probably about equal on single threading then. Thanks for checking :)

Yeh, single cinebench was like 1-2 points over the 2500k.

IPC is better than Sandybridge but 4.0ghz vs 4.2ghz evens it up.

Back
Top Bottom