• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 2700k, is it worth an upgrade?

Associate
ok so I have an i7 2700k overclocked (I've forgot what to).

So how much better is the newer generation of i7's?

On performance where abouts would mine sit? Still at i7 performance or more like an i5 or i3??

Soldato
ok so I have an i7 2700k overclocked (I've forgot what to).

So how much better is the newer generation of i7's?

On performance where abouts would mine sit? Still at i7 performance or more like an i5 or i3??

What graphics card do you have and what resolution do you play at??

One word of advice - if the games you play all seem to run fine,then don't bother. The longer you wait in CPU land the better the upgrade you will get.

In the end a bottleneck is only really a bottleneck if affects the games you run in a noticeable way!!

Associate
Even at 4.5, the latest i5 will have it beat stock comfortably.

When you say the latest i5 I take it you mean the new coffeelake 6 core i5's? I agree with what wedrum says above unless sat there monitoring fps with fraps etc you wouldn't notice a massive difference

Associate
My 8350k is exactly 25% faster clock for clock in single thread than my 2600k.
Multithread it's 4% slower but only needs a 0.2Ghz increase in OC to beat the 2600k in multi.
My 2600k is only clocked to 4.3Ghz, 8350k at 4.8Ghz, although 4.9Ghz is stable.
Info should be good for single core comparison, so current i3 is good for me, current i7 multi performance is obviously another league altogether.

My 2600k is a severe bottle neck to my 1080Ti, I bought it when the prices were good, but some games FPS didn't move at all when I change from a GTX970, showing a complete CPU bottle neck.

Back
Top Bottom