• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 3770K to???

Associate
Hey all, I am a gamer only... no real need for mega multi cores (*cough* Arma3 aside) so if I were to upgrade... what's the best Intel gaming CPU at the present time?

Soldato
Hey all, I am a gamer only... no real need for mega multi cores (*cough* Arma3 aside) so if I were to upgrade... what's the best Intel gaming CPU at the present time?

I went from a 3770k @ 4.7ghz, to a Ryzen 1700 @ 3.9ghz, both water cooled. Other than gaining a few fps in a few games, and gaining things like NVME storage i haven't really noticed a difference. Stick with the 3770k longer, and as Wedrum said, maybe try to push more out of the CPU, not that a extra 300-400mhz will be that noticeable.

Its a bad time to upgrade at the moment due to DDR4 prices being insane.

Associate
8700k is the best Intel gaming CPU right now. The video below should show if the upgrade cost is worth it for you:

Since you play at 1440p, I wouldn't upgrade just yet. Maybe next gen.

Last edited:
Associate
1080p benchmarks are a waste of time.
You become more GPU-bound at higher resolutions, so the power of a CPU is less pronounced. Lower resolutions show the strengths of each CPU more, it's why some reviewers now include 720p testing (which is ofcourse a pointless resolution nowadays) as it shows bigger CPU separation.

Soldato
You become more GPU-bound at higher resolutions, so the power of a CPU is less pronounced. Lower resolutions show the strengths of each CPU more, it's why some reviewers now include 720p testing (which is ofcourse a pointless resolution nowadays) as it shows bigger CPU separation.

And this is why I find it pointless.

Who in their right mind spends 300 quid on a CPU then cares about performance in a game at 720p.

Anyone with a reasonable pc plays at 1440p minimum these days. That should be how benching is done. It would also stop people buying CPUS thinking they are gonna get a marked improvement, only to find out its like 3% better than their last one for gaming.

Soldato
I'd say just keep the 3770K until DDR4 prices return to more sane levels and we see what happens with Ryzen+ and Z390. Delid it and overclock it another 500MHz if you're bored. :p

Soldato

Coffeelake 8700k is the best but even the bottom end coffeelake 8400 would be fair bit faster than your 3770k

Here is a link to some 1440p results with 11 game average.
https://youtu.be/0kBwGc5R6WY?t=12m3s

Last edited:
Associate
And this is why I find it pointless.

Who in their right mind spends 300 quid on a CPU then cares about performance in a game at 720p.

Anyone with a reasonable pc plays at 1440p minimum these days. That should be how benching is done. It would also stop people buying CPUS thinking they are gonna get a marked improvement, only to find out its like 3% better than their last one for gaming.
Vast majority play at 1080p still, and will likely remain that way as 1080p 144hz+ gaming displays become more common. In that case, a better CPU does become more important.

Soldato
I too made the move from a 3770K at 4.2 to a Ryzen 7 1700(x) at 3.8. I wouldn’t say gaming there are any noticeable gains to be had, that being said I also went from 980Ti to 1080Ti at the same time.

What I will say though is that games feel great, BF1 is pretty much pinned at 120-130fps and PUBG is PUBG. I haven’t reinstalled Arma3 yet and kind of think I may do as the boredom is creeping in on PUBG.

Outside of gaming, I really do love my Ryzen, I can stream with the same in game FPS as I used to play at without streaming so in my mind its already two 3770’s glued together and video render times have come down a lot as well.

Soldato
As others have said 8700k would be the best but it would be better if you waited as you would not get a massive increase in performance and upgrading becomes even less atractive when you have to factor in the cost of all the other components you need to buy at the same time. Assuming your CPU is as fast as a 4770k at base clocks you would be getting a 15% increase in performance on an oc'd 8700k for a cost of ~£800(cpu,ram,mobo).

Soldato
I'm in the same boat, and if Z370 was more feature and pcie rich and wasn't gimped on usb ports (on most boards) I'd go 8700k. As it is, I'm in no rush so I'll see what zen+ brings to the table and make my decision then. I have the itch badly though.

Associate
I'm in the same boat, and if Z370 was more feature and pcie rich and wasn't gimped on usb ports (on most boards) I'd go 8700k. As it is, I'm in no rush so I'll see what zen+ brings to the table and make my decision then. I have the itch badly though.
I don't think the Zen refresh will be able to compete with the 8700K.

So, I'd get scratching! :p

Soldato
I don't think the Zen refresh will be able to compete with the 8700K.

So, I'd get scratching! :p
I must admit I'm not expecting it to either. That said, I would be very happy if there was a 4.5ghz 1700 at similar pricing as the current 1700. I would snap that up for the extra platform benefits and cores and would be perfectly happy. I'm just sick of not having faster USB ports, m.2 etc.

Caporegime
8700k is quite a upgrade for games. people think some processors older gen are closer they arent.for eg im on a i7 4770k at moment and compare that to 5820k its massive difference.if you got the money a 8700k is a big upgrade.you will notice it.8700k is sorta like a 5.0ghz 5820k in games.smashes everything.

Associate
I wouldn’t bother changing to anything new, there’s isn’t a big enough leap to justify the price of a new motherboard, CPU and the stupid price of DDR4 RAM.

I’m on a fx8350 and I want to upgrade, but there’s no way I’m paying the current price of DDR4 RAM

Caporegime
the thing is you living in a dream.there is cpus that are probably x10 the speed of a 8350.

what you need to ask yourself is what do i do.what do i play.dont say there isnt a difference if you dont have a idea of the leap.8350 in pubg for eg will drop to lows of even ocd 40/50.8700 clocked 100 fps plus minimum. its not a bit of a difference it makes modern games enjoyable not a its not optimized.

Soldato
Yeah agree with Dg there is much bigger difference than what people are saying.

Just because on average there is only like 15% difference between a 4770k and 8700k at 1440p. This is just an average some games will make no difference but others you will get double the framerate on the newer processor.

Back
Top Bottom