i7 4770K running hot?

Associate
I have recently built a custom watercooled loop to try and reduce temps, mainly CPU, but I'm not happy with my results and would appreciate some advice.

When running the OCCT stability test with all BIOS settings set to default values, the CPU temp goes to over 80°C within a few minutes and if left to run, the system BSODs.

I know this isn't right but am not sure where to start with finding the cause of the problem.

My system can be seen here if that helps...

Caporegime
Still very hot for stock speed. Iirc mine on air maxes at 60c at stock in p95, 94c at 4.5ghz. Is the block making good contact and how much paste used. Unfortunately they are extremely hot running chips when stressed.

Associate
OP
Yea I can feel the pump running. I've got no idea if the water is flowing though as it looks completely still but I'm assuming that's just because there's no air in the loop...
Not sure how hot it goes on gaming, will try and let you know.
I am wanting to overclock the system hence using the stress test so should I just use a game as a stress test instead?

Associate
OP
I'm an idiot! I haven't removed a plastic film from the CPU cooler. I didn't notice it on installation but when I removed it I thought the spread of TIM looked odd so upon closer inspection found there was a layer of film... Whoops!

Caporegime
It varies according to manufacturer. Ive had some heatsinks that have had a stiff plastic cover, others just used a thin film of plastic. Thermalright ones came with a warning to remove it before istallation printed on it.

Associate
OP
They probably use plastic that doesn't melt easily for this very reason.
It would certainly appear so as the plastic looked as good as new, apart from the TIM on it...

It varies according to manufacturer. Ive had some heatsinks that have had a stiff plastic cover, others just used a thin film of plastic. Thermalright ones came with a warning to remove it before istallation printed on it.
The XSPC Raystorm seems to have both which is why I missed the thin film...

Back
Top Bottom