• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-6900K is too expensive for me.

Associate
Hi again, what will come close to it but cheaper :)
I was thinking of an i7-6800K instead and this motherboard Gigabyte X99P-SLI Intel X99
its for video editing and encoding.
(I don't think I would go the Ryzen 1800x chip route)

Thank you.

Associate
If you don't want Ryzen then either 6800k or 6850K would be the only other options really, unless you were interested in old server grade Xeons.

Personally I would not get the Gigabyte board, just my preference. Asus are the best and usually worth the tax IMO. Just for stability and piece of mind. I have bad experiences with Gigabyte and MSI in the past.

Soldato
Ynot Ryzen? Ahem...

The most sensible thing is to wait until Ryzen is out to see how it performs and how much it'll influence a change in Intel prices.

Associate
OP
Just to ask, why would you not consider Ryzen?
For video editing and encoding, it sounds very much like AMD will be right up your court with comparable performance at much lower pricing!

Good question, those other chips are working 100% in lots of edit systems.
Ryzen would need testing first and I wouldn't take the chance.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Personally I would not get the Gigabyte board, just my preference. Asus are the best and usually worth the tax IMO. Just for stability and piece of mind. I have bad experiences with Gigabyte and MSI in the past.

Thanks djbully. good to know, i'll look that board, thank you.

Associate
Ynot Ryzen? Ahem...

The most sensible thing is to wait until Ryzen is out to see how it performs and how much it'll influence a change in Intel prices.
This.

If there isn't a general Intel price cut I'm sure there will be deals when Ryzen is released so bide your time!

Soldato
Is this not just a troll thread? come on... this close to Ryzen release with all the leaks and info we have and this kinda question pops up? have you been living in a cave with no internet for the past month? lol...

Like any CPU manufacturer is going to release a premiere product after 5+ years of not being competitive and run the risk of that CPU not working with the current software on the market? thats an extremely short sighted view.. Either this is a troll post or your willing to fork out 2x / 3x the amount of cash that a Zen build will cost you for arguably same type of performance..

Associate
OP
Ynot Ryzen? Ahem...

Hi spoffle, that would be the best thing to do, but you know when the notions on you :)
Waiting would make sense.

Thanks.

I don't understand this. Are you suggesting that it wont work with certain software or other components?
Yes, that's what I was thinking but could be wrong :)

.. have you been living in a cave with no internet for the past month? lol...

Thanks, I see what you say, makes 100% sense. no harm in waiting, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

Thanks djbully. good to know, i'll look that board, thank you.

pffft . every brand has their issues. Least Gigabyte has a rep on here if you need help :D

followed by ASRock

Associate
I'd agree to a point, Asus boards are good when they work. The issue seems to be when they don't. I've seen numerous posts on here complaining about their very poor customer support.

Soldato
Hi spoffle, that would be the best thing to do, but you know when the notions on you :)
Waiting would make sense.

Thanks.

Yes, that's what I was thinking but could be wrong :)

Thanks, I see what you say, makes 100% sense. no harm in waiting, thank you.

I will say you will have no issues with Ryzen causing incompatibility with software. Hardware wise, well depending on what you are doing with regards to building a system will really depend on that but if you already have GPU, DDR4 RAM, PSU then those won't be a problem. The motherboard and CPU of course would be new and your cooler depending will either need to be new or get a new bracket depending but that wouldn't be any different to going Intel with what you are looking at.

Associate
I see your right too, I'll wait.
Thanks.
If it's mission critical and not just for leisure or gaming definitely let the dust settle and see if there are any major issues. I'm sure there will be a lot of BIOS updates and possible microcode updates in the coming weeks.

Associate
I will say you will have no issues with Ryzen causing incompatibility with software. Hardware wise, well depending on what you are doing with regards to building a system will really depend on that but if you already have GPU, DDR4 RAM, PSU then those won't be a problem. The motherboard and CPU of course would be new and your cooler depending will either need to be new or get a new bracket depending but that wouldn't be any different to going Intel with what you are looking at.
You can't say that with certainty though. AMD can't test every version of software / hardware combination. The DDR4 ram might not be on the validated list.
When it's released the best testers will get to work and any issues will be quickly identified.

Back
Top Bottom