• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7-6900K is too expensive for me.

Associate
OP
I will say you will have no issues with Ryzen causing incompatibility with software. Hardware wise, well depending on what you are doing with regards to building a system will really depend on that .

Thanks Curlyriff, it would be a total new build, I'll need everything. I wouldn't know what motherboard to get.

Soldato
The 6900K in general is a rip off, The only reason Intel are charging so much for it is because as of right now until Ryzen hits there isn't any competition in the 8 core sector which will thankfully change as the AMD 1800X seems to be faster than the 6900K at over half the price.

Soldato
Yes, I need the PC for work. I would have thought it would need 1 year testing, as you say let the dust settle.

To give you an idea our work is looking to pre-order 10 new machines for Architectural and Structural Engineering design that our technicians will be using from day 1. We use all sorts of programs from movie editing, rendering, CAD, MS etc and see no issue with it in regards to not performing as required for this.

If we did we would not be ordering such machines.

Soldato
You can't say that with certainty though. AMD can't test every version of software / hardware combination. The DDR4 ram might not be on the validated list.
When it's released the best testers will get to work and any issues will be quickly identified.

The speed might not be but the OP has already firmed up they would be ordering new so then DDR4 options are no problem. Just pick something that is 3600MHz and will be fine.

In regards to software see my other post. I have yet to see buying a new CPU with new Architecture suddenly mean that software stops working. To give an idea we use the full range of AutoDesk Products (Maya, mudbox, autocad, revit, Inventor, 3DS Max) , Bentley, Dynamo, Scia Engineer, Adobe (photoshop, dreamweaver, Illustrator), Lumion, MS, Tekla, Vegas, Sketchup, Final Cut, Union Square, Xara Designer Pro, Blender, Unity etc.

I would say that unless you are using some very old or oddball software you will be fine. I am happy to stand behind that statement.

Soldato
I have never seen any cpu fail to work with any programs no matter how new it is. Ryzen will be fully complaint with windows and the x86/64 architecture.

Associate
OP
[QUOTE="you should be able to pick up some pretty cheap 6900K's
Either that, or Intel X99 sales will fall off a cliff[/QUOTE]

Now that would be interesting to see. Thanks

Soldato
The overall Ryzen package will still be faster and cheaper. I can't see X99 being cheaper than the Ryzen top-end motherboards.
Yeh I know, but for some reason the Op wants a 6900k.

Personally by whats been leaked so far, I would opt for a 1800x over a 6900k even if the 6900k was slightly cheaper. But I guess some people will go Intel even if it's double the price and SLOWER.

Associate
OP
Yeh I know, but for some reason the Op wants a 6900k..

Yes, I would like the 6900k for my new video edit PC but no way would I give the £1000 odd for a chip, it isn't worth that price, that's why I asked you good people to recommend something else and you did just that :) the 1800x looks to be the one to replace it but also need a good Motherboard.
My current 2700K (5yr old ) has the quick sync encoding option and for its age it's still give me good results except as you would know it can't cope with 4K so this gives you an idea where I'm coming from and what I might need.
I was going for a x99 board this time and You all know it wouldn't do QS but there is a software plugin that does a great job at doing this, so the built in QS isn't that important,...as far as I know :)
The 1800X or even the 1700 looks like the business but need some to suggest a board :)

Thanks to everyone so far :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom