i7 920 Upgrade overdue ... what do you think to this planned setup?

Associate
OP
... Some of the addons I have for FSX (PMDG T7) were quite expensive however so I'm holding off for Prepar 3D 64bit before I change flight sim software any more. Like yourself I to need to build a new PC as mine is showing its age now sadly :( I'm unsure if I'll go the VR route yet however I have read it's pretty much the way forward for simulators. Until then as well as PC upgrade I'll be wanting a Dell Ultrasharp U3415W 34" monitor which annoyingly seem to have gone up in price recently. It should however be immersive enough for simulators without going the whole multi monitor setup route.
I don't think VR is going to kick off. They tried it years ago. Granted technology has gone far but for Flight Sim, a 3 monitor setup or like you a large monitor does the job for those on a tight budget. Instead of VR, I'd HIGHLY recommend TrackIR, it works wonders and seriously improves gaming experience :)

Also, check this guide out by Nick (its very good) but it is a long read.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Associate
I myself just upgraded from the LGA 1366 platform with an E5645 that was overclocked to 4.2GHzs to LGA 1151 with an E3 1230V5 overclocked to 4.5ghzs and honestly the performance gap is noticeable but to be honest I would just buy a highly clocked six core Xeon (maybe the X5670 or X5680) and overclock it to 4.7 and pair that with highly clocked DDR3 and you will be fine. Keep in mind that what affects stability the most on LGA1366 is PCIE Clock.

Associate
I don't think VR is going to kick off. They tried it years ago. Granted technology has gone far but for Flight Sim, a 3 monitor setup or like you a large monitor does the job for those on a tight budget. Instead of VR, I'd HIGHLY recommend TrackIR, it works wonders and seriously improves gaming experience :)

Also, check this guide out by Nick (its very good) but it is a long read.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Nick has written a big update since I last read through his stuff. I swapped to using DX10 some time ago now and have just left my FSX install like that. I used to spend ages tweaking FS2004 and FSX. I recall a guy called Ramsa started off a PC optimization service for Win XP and FS2004. Then Nick came onto the scene and I used his guides. Sad to read Nick saying the trusty old i7 920 is now past it, still all the more reason to upgrade. I kept meaning to purchase TrackIR but never bit the bullet.

Back
Top Bottom