i7 rig slow?

Associate
Joys of owning a pc :(
I dread thought of me having problems, why can't things be so simple that you just plug in and away you go gaming till end of the earth:(

Soldato
Joys of owning a pc :(
I dread thought of me having problems, why can't things be so simple that you just plug in and away you go gaming till end of the earth:(

Yes one of the joys, having problems to solve, having to think.

Buy a games console if you want total simplicity.

Things are simple enough as it is. I swear the whole world in on a campaign to dumb everything down and simplify everything to the point that the lowest common denominator will be able to achieve virtually anything. It's just wrong.

Associate
OP
It might be software problems which slow my PC down due to me not using windows 7. Vista has a lot of problems with it at the moment involving mostly memory related errors. Which makes no sense at all. I'm using Vista 32 bit atm until Windows 7 releases.

Associate
OP
And Consoles suck, I'd much rather have a pc so I can just say look at games like crysis and say WOWWWW. I love graphics :D Can't complain about the graphics though the graphics card is pretty good :)

Soldato
It might be software problems which slow my PC down due to me not using windows 7. Vista has a lot of problems with it at the moment involving mostly memory related errors. Which makes no sense at all. I'm using Vista 32 bit atm until Windows 7 releases.

Using Vista 32-bit could be the problem. Even then, at a stock 2.6GHz I wouldn't have been expecting miracles with my i7. My Windows 7 64-bit wasn't faster until I clocked it to 4GHz.

Remember, speed is still as important as number of cores.

Associate
CS:S barely uses the graphics card, 16X AA doesnt have an effect on your frame rate when compared to no AA.

The reason for the low frame rate is that it is optimised to use a single core processor only.

Associate
OP
CS:S barely uses the graphics card, 16X AA doesnt have an effect on your frame rate when compared to no AA.

The reason for the low frame rate is that it is optimised to use a single core processor only.

Thank you for clearing it up for me. I'm going to test other games despite me using crappy vista! I will want to overclock for deffo now as you said no point buying an i7 if you're not overclocking. Will 860's clock as good as the 920's?

Can anyone spec me a good cooler for the 1156 socket?

Any any advice on how to overclock?

It's going to be my first time.

Soldato
I believe the i7 860 is similar to the 920 when overclocking as it is limited more by the motherboards highest stable BCLK and the cooling than the CPU itself.

For a cooler recommendation, this one is fantastic or this if you want to stick with air cooling (plus you will need a fan like this).

If you don't want to spend this kind of money, this cooler is still pretty good.

Associate
OP
I believe the i7 860 is similar to the 920 when overclocking as it is limited more by the motherboards highest stable BCLK and the cooling than the CPU itself.

For a cooler recommendation, this one is fantastic or this if you want to stick with air cooling (plus you will need a fan like this).

If you don't want to spend this kind of money, this cooler is still pretty good.

Would they fit the 1156 socket though?

Soldato
Some retailers are offering the Corsair H50 with a s1156 mount, unfortunately OCUK does not currently do this. Corsair can be contacted directly and they will send out a s1156 mount if you pay for the shipping.

The megahalems has the s1156 mount advertised on their website, and again other retailers do offer it with this mount.

As for the Titan, their website does list the Version 2 which has s1156 compatability. However, I have not seen these in shops yet.

Basically, there is not that many great coolers fully ready for s1156 yet. Though, jumping through a few hoops will get you an awesome cooler for a brilliant chip which is begging for overclocking :D

Back
Top Bottom