I7700k no delided

Associate
Hi I just wonder what's the actually kinda safe voltage is for this processor no delided on 4.2ghz with XMP on. I got Dark Rock TF coller on it and with XMP Temps are going up to 90+ Degrees in stress that's a bit too much in idle is about 50-60 which I guess is normal.for Kaby lake without loosing warranty. So I gave up last night with xmp and Temps went well down, about 25-35 idle and 69 degrease noticed in highest stress which I really like. But obviously I lost a lot of performance and it's not that much noticeable on cpu as on ram and everything loading a bit slower. Just been thinking to put back on XMP but set voltage of cpu manually but I have no idea how should I do it. So we are back in my question can somebody just explain how to do it and what's kinda safe brackets of voltage? Just need little guide and info and actually I read that in Google that this may helps to keep performance and lower the temps. You agree guys? Thanks for help.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
PC mostly for gaming, want to OC mostly for gaming performance I got msi 1080ti gaming oc with it so want to achieve best performance I can (In PUBG with no XMP I noticed that my fps went under 60 few times during gaming).
When playing games like PUBG, gta5 or ghost recon wildlands I got around 90-97C with XMP on, once I turn it off is not going above 70C.

Sorry I'm at work atm writing on my phone so may do some stupid mistakes in writing.

Associate
OP
Right ok, i did some research. Definetely i DO NOT want to OC my CPU... all i wanna do is Undervoltage my CPU to reach lower temperature but still run it at stock values with XMP on (As i prefer 3000MhZ RAM than only 2133). Once i have XMP and default setting my temperatures are really high and i don't feel safe at all, once i switch off XMP obviously temps. are going down to acceptable ones but i already said that (Probably it's caused that CPU voltage is automatically increased to 1.350V while XMP on). All i need to know is how to undervoltage my CPU safely and what values should i change, and another question is if that's enough to change only voltage or should i lower some other options at the same time? I attached below my spec as well.

be quiet! Dark Rock TF CPU Cooler - 135/135mm
WD Blue 2TB 5400rpm SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM (WD20EZRZ)
NZXT Hue+ RGB Dual Channel LED Controller - Black
Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail
MSI Z270 PC Mate Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B30
be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 750W '80 Plus Platinum' Modular Power Supply
Corsair Carbide 270R Mid Tower Case - Black Window (CC-9011105-WW)
Samsung 960 PRO Polaris 512GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X OC 11264MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a similar issue with my skylake, voltage required for a good OC was just running too hot.
I ended up delidding and putting better paste on and then relidding and max temps dropped from 80's to 70's.

I made a right ham fisted job of it too as I did it in a rush with a stanley knife blade, thought I'd damaged the CPU as I bent the CPU's PCB in the process but it works fine.

I'm not suggesting you do what I did but delidding is not as scarey as it looks.

Soldato
Yes it will lower the temps.
I'd maybe try lowering it in 0.25v intervals and keep testing and lowering and testing until it crashes. Maybe just with one run of Asus realbench to start with.
Once it goes low enough to crash, you can fine tune the voltage and raise it up a little bit until it's stable.

Associate
OP
Should I change only cpu core voltage? or SA and IO voltage as well? DRAM voltage is at 1.350 when xmp is On. should I do not touch this one?

Soldato
That's a safe temperature but pretty warm for such a low voltage, is your cooler correctly fitted, what paste did you use?

Is the CPU at standard speed?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I can set it on 1.185 lowest with no error after 1h fft test windows is stable. I had max 77C after that hour on 100% core performance. Cooler should be fitted correctly as OCUK builded whole PC for me I don't know what paste did they used but I'm guessing the one that was boxed with my be quiet cooler. CPU is on standard speed with turbo boost 4.2GHZ - 4.5GHZ

In games i reach around 70C stable.

I know it's not the best result ever but only one i can get so far without deliding i guess. If somebody got any more ideas feel free, i definetely will check.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try Player unknowns battleground, this game will batter your cpu mate. Btw. after undervolting I also turned off turbo boost which doesn't affected my games at all and I have not seen my cpu going over 75C on latest games still not amazing but acceptable. Only in PUBG sometimes jumping to 82 that's the highest I noticed but this game is still in early access and not compiled properly so I do not expect better.

Caporegime
Undervolting won't damage anything, it will just crash if there's not enough voltage.

could corrupt anything he installs whilst it's not stable.

ideally he wants to stress test the undervolt using 3-5 different types of stress test several times. corrupted installs could cause him all sorts of issues. so install everything he requires before undervolting.

Back
Top Bottom