IBM deskstar 60GB

Associate
just thought i'd tell you just in case anyone has one also would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem

i aquired a Deskstar 60GB, it seemed to work ok just a little noisy whenever it was reading, i did with it like that for a while. I get the IBM disk management program and reset the acoustic level management, the noise had gone but it still had a wierd sound when shutting down. so i carryed on using it, and SMART was saying it was perfectly ok.

I then kicked it up one afternoon and it came up with that C:\windows\system32\config\system error. so i fixed that, and it was tremendously slow, so i reinstalled windows again. windows worked, so rebooted it and it started making a like vrrrm-tick vrrrrm-tick sound. BIOS wouldnt even recognise it, so out it came and i opened it up nicked the magnets and smashed the platters and binned the remains

Soldato
I recently took my 60Gb Deskstar out of my PC and saw it was bought in 2001 and it was still going strong before I removed it. Not bad at all, but it does sound like that yours had kicked the bucket. ;)

Back
Top Bottom