• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

IC Diamond -Performance v Quality and Reliability

Associate
Eat, Sleep and Overclock with IC Diamond!

Absent from most thermal compound reviews and discussions in the retail market are the ideas of quality and reliability, with the focus solely on the performance aspect. Equally or perhaps more importantly is how long will the the product function effectively in any given application. A simple analogy here would be which automotive tire would you buy, one that has a life expectancy of 5k miles or one with a life expectancy 50K miles? You most likely would purchase the quality 50K tire or perhaps the 5k if you were going to sell the car and wanted to limit your investment in a product you will no longer use.

An Important Issue Made Simple

If we take into consideration the chart below, there are 8760 hours in a year and factor into the equation that most thermal compound comparisons are made after the first couple of hours of break in. This represents only 0.02283105% of a one year window. However what if the comparison break in period was 400 hours or 4000 hours how would they fair at that point?

ICD-RELIABILITYCHART_zps3fc2492a.png

The Peanut Butter as a Interface Material Effect

This is a critical point as in the much overdone peanut butter and cheese comparisons in thermal compound roundups, if one was to look at the two hour data without knowing it would be the aforementioned that would likely fail in a few more hours.

Nothing lasts forever and all compounds fail over time, first with an initial temperature increase of degree. Now if we factor in that the delta temperatures between compounds of being just a couple of degrees, would be become as large 4-5-6 or even 10C after a relatively short period. This would render the initial burn-in test comparison review largely irrelevant.

A Failed Compound Equals Higher Temperatures

The below photograph demonstrates a popular paste application of a popular retail compound. This example failed after 400 hours or lasted approximately 4.6% of the one year time window.

FAILURE_zpsfa8fe27e.png

Review Sites in Practicality

While as a practical matter a ‘review site’ is unable to test multiple compounds for months on end, with regards to the commercial side and as a result they avoid such cumbersome accelerated testing efforts. However Intel employs their testing methodology through accelerated testing with increased thermal loads which seek to define durability,quality and reliability. This is how they come to the conclusion that high viscosity or thick compounds with over 90% bulk loading last longer by virtue of it being harder to pump out a solid than a mere liquid.

Accelerated Thermal Stress Testing

Clear Evidence of a Myriad of Manufacturers Product Failure!

Shown below is an accelerated test demonstration of IC Diamond’s durability. The Thermal
compound test samples are sandwiched in between two 3X10 glass slides.With the test result being conducted for over twenty hours at 150c, the centre picture with moniker of ICD is IC Diamond whilst the others are top selling retail performance pastes.

acceleratedtesting_zps9456843f.png

Of the retail class of thermal compounds Innovation Cooling is the only one that we are aware of that provides this data.

Reliability In TRUE Battlefield Conditions!

A great real life model for accelerated stress testing can be found in the laptop market due to the knowledge that the average CPU temp runs 15C hotter than your similarly specified and overclocked overclocked PC and compound failure is a ONGOING problem!

Some examples:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...63237-gtx-980m-limited-cpu-3.html#post9804246

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...-4-application-my-cpu-deteriorating-days.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...ra-any-tips-before-i-start-2.html#post9520969

Whilst the above are anecdotal and do not detail various conditions, as the contact and pressure which would impact longevity results and may perform better under other conditions. They do however highlight the important issue of reliability in a thermal compound
under the high stress of today’s applications.

IC Diamond helps you OVERCLOCK , like the Zombies are chasing you!

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the performance of ICD, I just don't like how sticky it is and how difficult to spread. I have had it rip CPU's out of there sockets on older pin designs, where I had no choice but to lift vertically due to a heat sink design.

Thanks for the info :)

Man of Honour
I like the performance of ICD, I just don't like how sticky it is and how difficult to spread.

Some exceptions aside i.e. certain gelids most contemporary thermal pastes aren't designed to be manually spread unlike older stuff that very much was designed to be (bit of a pet annoyance for me when people talking about spreading them heh).

I really need to get some time to see how ICD stacks up against my old faithful AS5.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There was slight subtext to my post in that I've seen a lot of pastes hyped over the years but in many cases I've been able to match or beat them with good old AS5 (often due to even people who should know better using incorrect application methods).

Soldato
Is this the type of compound you can leave on for literally 2-3 years and not have to worry about it, much like I already do with AS5? If so, then I might give this stuff a go when I order my new build - I've been keen to find a modern replacement for AS5.

Is there any particular way of applying it? I always just put a very small blob of AS5 in the centre of the CPU and let the heatsink do the compressing. It's always done me well.

Soldato
Is this the type of compound you can leave on for literally 2-3 years and not have to worry about it, much like I already do with AS5? If so, then I might give this stuff a go when I order my new build - I've been keen to find a modern replacement for AS5.

Is there any particular way of applying it? I always just put a very small blob of AS5 in the centre of the CPU and let the heatsink do the compressing. It's always done me well.

Pea shape in the middle of the IHS, Put your desired heatsink on and apply some pressure, Secure it in place and done.

Man of Honour

Instructions in post 4.

Soldato
Ok, things aren't so complicated as I imagined. I seem to remember that some compounds you have to draw a small thin line in the centre of the CPU so the compound covered all the cores.

Associate
OP
I like the performance of ICD, I just don't like how sticky it is and how difficult to spread. I have had it rip CPU's out of there sockets on older pin designs, where I had no choice but to lift vertically due to a heat sink design.

Thanks for the info :)

Due to the viscosity of ICD diamond and even some of the SHIN-ETSU compound, there is quite a bit of surface tension created when you have two surfaces pushed together for a long period.

What you need to do is to break this surface tension of gently twisting the CPU BLOCK/Heatsink 45 degrees back and forth a few times. That should solve any problems you have.

Soldato
Love ICD now after the give away I've tested it on a lot of old and new hardware, unfortunately I could never do a comparison between temps of paste on my old system because I changed the CPU recently to sandybridge which is naturally cooler however prime95 temp never exceeds 74c @ 4.8ghz 1.368v can't complain about that!

Soldato
Due to the viscosity of ICD diamond and even some of the SHIN-ETSU compound, there is quite a bit of surface tension created when you have two surfaces pushed together for a long period.

What you need to do is to break this surface tension of gently twisting the CPU BLOCK/Heatsink 45 degrees back and forth a few times. That should solve any problems you have.

That I would normally do, but it simply wasn't possible in this instance due the design of the cooler (Dell BTU case). Not that it matters now, as that is back in the UK.

Thank you for the advice :)

Associate
Ok so I have put some on order mmm hope to see a drop in temp from the AS5 as I am pushing my my 5820 at 80c when running at 4.5 so have it set to 4.375. So will be a nice check to see if that's lower.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom