• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

icecold's training log

Man of Honour
OP
Training 07/01/13

Body is not entirely happy with me after my weekend's activities. Woke up on Sunday with crippling adductor DOMS despite completely feeling fine on Saturday after Friday's squats. Today they felt even worse, to the extent that something didn't feel right and I wasn't sure if I could lift. After a lot of soft tissue loving I could actually move, so decided to see if I would deadlift as intended.

General warm up - ages

Deadlifts
bar x25 (srs)
60x15
100x5
140x3
180x1
200x1 legs starting to wake up
220x1 fast
242.5x4f5 son of a... Still a PB at 4 reps, but what a shambles of a set. So good for the first 3 reps, then the bar wandered around and the 4th rep was terrible, after which the bar bounced wildly away. Stood up and repositioned for the 5th rep, and gave up half up through the ROM because it felt like AIDS. Cue Dom and Paul saying I should have finished it off, and sure enough the video shows the bar was still moving well enough. I was tempted to attempt it again, but decided to move on. However, I could barely get 225 off the floor so called it a day. Adductors/hips in general just completely noped on me.

Bench
bar
125 good
105x3x3
To elaborate briefly on my current benching plan, the top single that I do is a daily speed max. This means that it's approximately the heaviest I can go before the bar speed slows down significantly compared to warm ups. The triples are then % based.

Good mornings
160x5x3
Good that I could still do these. They actually made my adductors feel better and got a lot of blood into my back.

Machine row
some sets

Man of Honour
OP
I did some thinking about possible causes of my random adductor phaggotry and decided to do some hip capsule mobilisation last night. Everything feels a lot better, and much more like regular DOMS.

I'm not too unhappy with 242.5x4, but I'm not sure where to go next. More 5s, or move to triples to get used to more weight in my hands?

Soldato
I'm a fan of tripples personally. Can't really explain my reasoning behind it I just am. I guess I find 5's just become fatiguing and more a challenge of strength endurance, for me anyway.

Man of Honour
OP
I still feel like there is some functional mass to be built, which is why I tempted by 5s still. With my 5 rep deadlifts I like to feel like I max out (or hit 90% or whatever) on the overall movement rather than feel like there are certain body parts holding me back. Right now it kind of feels like my legs are good for more weight, but back strength and core/hip strength/coordination is failing first.

Triples are going to be essential though. I might do a slow build up from lower weights...

Man of Honour
OP
Forgot to log

10/1/14

Full of man flu and tonsillitis. Immune system having a few days off. Feeler session.

Squats
bar
140 just feels gross
180 head feels weird
200 sinuses/face/throat/neck feel like they are going to explode. Kind of blacked out at the bottom of the rep, but apparently it was fast soooo...
210 nope, bad idea. Still fast, but felt like I died at the bottom of the rep
180x2
180x2
180x2
180x2
180x2
Just some speed work so it felt like I'd done something. Also done because squats are medicinal, and I was actually feeling a bit better after this.

Bench
bar
120 fast
130 still fast
Didn't feel like doing any more work...

May have done some other stuff, can't remember. Planned to go in the next day (Sat) for bench volume and other bits, but was struck down even more savagely by my diseases. The lesson here is that squatting is medicinal, but if you follow it with benching you may die of plague.

Man of Honour
OP
Training 15/1/14

Oh man. Post viral fatigue and less than 8 hours sleep in the last 48. I am a mess, but I haven't been in the gym since Friday so I convinced myself to go. Overall I'm glad I did, but it was a real psychological and physical struggle.

Deadlifts
bar
220x5 wow, horrible. I mean, fast and comfortable looking, but I craved the sweet release of death from rep 2. And my right glute hurt.
200x5
200x5 glute stopped hurting. I think I've confused my body into forgetting to experience pain
200x5
Those were all nice tidy sets, I guess!

Bench
bar
110 just feels gross
125 pec minor twinge :(
105x3x4
Pec minor thing isn't serious, but will need some love. Strangely, the painful bit didn't seem to be directly loaded on the triples sets.

Chins
bw x8
+10kg x5x3
The only thing that felt as easy as it should today.

Thank god that's over. Hopefully all of the delicious hormones/growth factors will now drag my body back to life. Pls.

Back
Top Bottom