Icelandic Volcanic Eruption - Significant Disruption to UK Flights

Associate
I'm supposed to be flying to Amsterdam after lunch tomorrow - anyone got any idea how likely that is now?

Apparently all flights out of London airports are cancelled from 1130h today

The ironic thing is, the person I'm going with, his name is Ash

Associate
This has got me worried - i am due to fly on sunday! Flying from manchester to heathrow and then on to Vegas.

Is this likely to still be causing problems then or is it a case of no way of knowing?

Associate
Well I know what we can do with all those face masks left over from the swine flu 'pandemic' - they'll be available in supermarkets from tommorrow.

Seriously I thought my local news was on the waccy baccy - then I saw it on the main BBC News...perhaps it'll all blow over! Oh bad pun alert!!! (install panic button here)

People with flights booked will be going wtf? what a headache...

Soldato
My parents are supposed to be flying here first thing tomorrow for my daughters christening, on the plus side I might not have to drive to Belfast to pick them up.

Man of Honour
THe latest from the BAA:

Major disruption expected
Last updated: 09:15

Following advice from the Met Office, the national air traffic service (NATS) has introduced restrictions to UK airspace this morning as a result of volcanic ash drifting across the UK from Iceland.

These measures currently affect Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports, which are closed. Passengers are instructed NOT to travel to these airports. All arriving and departing flights are currently suspended.

We anticipate that all flights in and out of Heathrow and Stansted airports will be suspended from 12:00 today. Therefore, we strongly advise passengers intending to fly from this time not to travel to the airport today.

We will provide further updates as we get more information from NATS.

Latest from NATS:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Thurs April 15, 09:30

From midday today until at least 6pm, there will be no flights permitted in UK controlled airspace other than emergency situations. This has been applied in accordance with international civil aviation policy. We continue to monitor the situation with the Met Office and work closely with airline customers and adjoining countries.

http://www.nats.co.uk/

Last edited:
Caporegime
What are people moaning about ?

"Oi, Let me on my flight so I can Crash & burn" :eek: + :p

Moaning? It's just people upset as you would be. My sister and her other half have saved for a couple of years for a trip to do a small tour of the states. She is stuck at Heathrow and will likely not get out in time to take the holiday, so her two year planned trip is ruined, not only that she will have to come back and have the rest of her holiday booked time off sat at home.

These things happen she will accept it's not safe to fly but I can understand why thats frustrating and there's also no one you can point the blame at.

I'm gutted these things always happen when i'm off shift. All our flights are cancelled so my chance to have an easier day than normal would have been great if i was at work. :D

Soldato
Brother's flight cancelled, nothing till Saturday now, gutted for him :( Obviously not anyone's fault and the right thing but still gutting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Moaning? It's just people upset as you would be. My sister and her other half have saved for a couple of years for a trip to do a small tour of the states. She is stuck at Heathrow and will likely not get out in time to take the holiday, so her two year planned trip is ruined, not only that she will have to come back and have the rest of her holiday booked time off sat at home.

These things happen she will accept it's not safe to fly but I can understand why thats frustrating and there's also no one you can point the blame at.

I'm gutted these things always happen when i'm off shift. All our flights are cancelled so my chance to have an easier day than normal would have been great if i was at work. :D

Um... insurance?

Tis harsh though, 2 years of planning down the pan :(

Thats the craziest thing I've ever seen, didn't have any idea you could get that kind of info in the interwebz!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom