Idiot Son and 6 points

Soldato
Surely that's a bit iffy, just because you don't want to press charges doesn't mean you gave any consent, consent can't be given retrospectively surely?

Its a bit more than iffy. No way I'd press charges and I wouldn't think much of the bobby that charged me to get a quick extra booking.

I think the Police handled this correctly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup. The police round here use an ultimatum. They either charge the offender with TWOC, or if the owner doesn't want to press charges against the offender they charge the owner with permitting the use of a car without insurance. It's amazing how often they then change their mind!

Yeah, and that doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny.

If my girlfriend took my car whilst I was asleep in bed, then she will have taken my car without my consent. If I then refused to make a complaint about it or give a statement, it doesn't automatically mean i'm guilty of permitting her to use the car - how could it? I was asleep in bed! It just means that I was against taking further action. It also means the police couldn't proceed with a TWOC charge because they wouldn't have a statement from me as evidence in court that she took the car without my consent. In effect, it's neither confirming nor denying she TWOC'd the car - not nearly enough for a conviction for her for TWOC or for me for permitting the car to be used without insurance.

In this instance, it definitely seemed like the police handled it correctly. A CR along with all his traffic fines/points sounds like a proportionate conclusion.

Soldato
Try with a 2013 golf, 1.4gt and a 2.0 gti. Just curious as my son got a car this year and we found that the gt and gti for some reason were cheaper to insure than any other small engines car. Appreciate that there is a big difference with the in10 but still curious.

Soldato
OP
Try with a 2013 golf, 1.4gt and a 2.0 gti. Just curious as my son got a car this year and we found that the gt and gti for some reason were cheaper to insure than any other small engines car. Appreciate that there is a big difference with the in10 but still curious.

2014 Golf 1.4GT

Without points £2700

With IN10 6 points £6395

Soldato
Just noticed his points are for 4 years but you must inform the Insurer if it happened in the last 5 years

Maybe tell him to find a local broker he can talk to in person. Although they are a dying breed now.

My gut feeling is the online brokers are adding a hell of an IN tax, though the UK motor insurance industry has gone to the dogs.

Soldato
Just noticed his points are for 4 years but you must inform the Insurer if it happened in the last 5 years

That's normal, though in theory the premium will drop over time as he gets older and the offence gets further into the distance so its worth doing quotes every so often. I didn't bother getting a car until after I finished uni but I always priced it out every summer to see if it was worth getting one and the quotes dropped significantly every year between 18 and 21.

Soldato
Depends on the insurer. But they vanish off the license after 4 so theres no way they can actually check :p

Only if he didn't use his real details in the quote system, if he did they already know and will be logged on their shared database. Insurance companies do share and use this data to specifically target fraud. It's pretty well documented where people have been caught 'omitting' accidents and points so its generally not recommended.

EDIT: just googled it and insurance companies have access to DVLA records so yeh...

Back
Top Bottom