If i own the game..

Associate
Crack's I'd say are ok, I use them commonplace, I'm too used to Steam <3 no cd's I'm too lazy to look for them and I have quite a collection under my desk.
Disclaimer: Opinion not fact.

Soldato
I know its illegal in the USA, so I'm pretty sure its illegal here too. Though its not like the police are going to raid your house because you use cracks.

If you want to stay 100% legal, you could look into Game Jackal. It does what you're looking to do, though it costs about the same as a full game for a lifetime license anyway.

Soldato
anything that changes the code is illegal, so NO-CD cracks are illegal. However, if you own the original I can't see any software company prosecuting for it.

I can see this thread getting locked though because it's against forum rules to discuss them.

Associate
there are cases where game updates remove cd protection, UT2004 is one I can remember, so its not really like using a crack is like insulting a developer's mother. It should be easy to pickup and play a game =p

Associate
you should be okay with a CD image, you are allowed to back up music etc for you own use so i can't see it being a problem.

IMO of course

Soldato
As iamTakeo mentioned a few updates to games tend to remove copy protection and CD/DVD checks. You could always use Daemon tools and CD/DVD images but I'd be shocked if any games company even considered prosecuting you for using a noCD crack on a game you'd bought.

They'd probably be happy that you actually bought it to start with!

I'm a huge fan of Steam / direct2drive and DLGamer because of copy protection these days though - these digital download sites make life a lot easier.

Associate
You don't own the game.

The company that owns the game has allowed you to purchase from them a limited license to use the software under terms and conditions specified by them and included in the game documentation ( somewhere :) )

If you read the license agreement you will find out what you are allowed to do, and what you are not allowed to do.

You probably won't like the license agreement. Most people never read them when they buy a game. Most people ignore them and do their own thing anyway. So long as you are not doing anything that would deprive the game owner of revenue (like selling cracked copies at a car boot sale, or giving cracked copies away to friends and family) I doubt they care much.

Soldato
I would say if they actually work (had a dodgy one not long ago that broke the game so had to reinstall and stick to using the cd) and you have the game then i see no real problem. As said above its not like your going to be hunted down by the police or anything.

However to avoid upset/frustration use cd/dvd for games like BF2 and other online games in which no-cd cracks usually end in problems like getting banned/kicked/suspended in games and on your account. ;)

Caporegime
I would say if they actually work (had a dodgy one not long ago that broke the game so had to reinstall and stick to using the cd) and you have the game then i see no real problem. As said above its not like your going to be hunted down by the police or anything.

However to avoid upset/frustration use cd/dvd for games like BF2 and other online games in which no-cd cracks usually end in problems like getting banned/kicked/suspended in games and on your account. ;)

you can just make mini images of your disks and use daemon tools to mount them, no risk of anything nasty being downloaded :)

Permabanned
For games there should be server serial checks, if it's used more than once then the serial is banned and you have to justify you bought the game.

In my eyes no-cd cracks should be legal aslong as the game manufacturer creates them to download on their official site to be used if you have a legal copy as it can speed up game loading times and performance boosts.

Back
Top Bottom