If you could make one currently legal thing illegal...

Ban people from discussing religion on OCUK. How people have such a raging hard-on for this discussion is beyond me.

Actually, you are free to discuss if you are actually doing something about it.

Well until you post nekkid pics in the picture thread, what else is there here to get a hard on over?

And God (and heaven) was made up to stop adults being sad about the fact we die and cease to exist.

Also, the notion of God gives no one a sense of morality. If they only reason you don't go around murdering people is because you fear 'hell' I would say that was a very moral stance.

1. Based on what evidence exactly?
2. The ends justify the means.

1. LOL, It says so on Wikipedia != evidence.
2. You said a belief in god gives people a sense of morality. I disagree and think morality is far more influenced by your upbringing, friends and culture you live in. And anyone that is guiding their life because either a religious book says so or because they fear hell doesn't have a sense of morality.

Furthermore, given the Bible advocates rape, slavery, killing your neighbour for working on a Sunday, homophobia, infanticide etc etc etc I suggest that few people take their morality (thankfully) from the Gospels. Rather they find the bits that match their morals and spout them as 'Christian Values'.

1. LOL, It says so on Wikipedia != evidence.
2. You said a belief in god gives people a sense of morality. I disagree and think morality is far more influenced by your upbringing, friends and culture you live in. And anyone that is guiding their life because either a religious book says so or because they fear hell doesn't have a sense of morality.

Furthermore, given the Bible advocates rape, slavery, killing your neighbour for working on a Sunday, homophobia, infanticide etc etc etc I suggest that few people take their morality (thankfully) from the Gospels. Rather they find the bits that match their morals and spout them as 'Christian Values'.

The tooth fairy is commonly accepted fantasy. I don't see what your issue is here unless you seriously believe in it?

If you are brought up in a religious environment, that is your upbringing and to an extent your friends and culture. So again, what is your point?

What passages of the Bible advocate rape, slavery, killing your neighbour, infanticide and shun homosexuality?

I would make the possession, distribution and manufacture of brussel sprouts a crime with a full life tariff if convicted in a court of law.

The tooth fairy is commonly accepted fantasy. I don't see what your issue is here unless you seriously believe in it?

Your argument is basically a mythical being isn't true unless enough people believe in it at which point somehow it becomes less silly just because a lot of people believe.

What passages of the Bible advocate rape, slavery, killing your neighbour, infanticide and shun homosexuality?

The fact you've had to ask that has just given away your ignorance on this subject.

But anyway, here is just one example for each (there are far more though)...

Rape
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

Death for Sunday workers
Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. (Exodus 35:2)

God kills children
He struck down the firstborn of Egypt, the firstborn of men and animals. (Psalm 135:8)

Kill the Gays...
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (Lev.20:13)

Your argument is basically a mythical being isn't true unless enough people believe in it at which point somehow it becomes less silly just because a lot of people believe.

The fact you've had to ask that has just given away your ignorance on this subject.

Rape
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

Slaves and how to beat them
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)

Death for Sunday workers
Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. (Exodus 35:2)

God kills children
He struck down the firstborn of Egypt, the firstborn of men and animals. (Psalm 135:8)

Kill the Gays...
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. (Lev.20:13)

No, my argument is that the tooth fairy is irrelevant but you cling to it because you're misguidedly convinced otherwise.

Rape

Death for Sunday workers

God kills children

Kill the Gays...

1. Look up 'advocate' in the dictionary
2. That is strictly an Israelite law, regardless of it being a single passage from a story
3. Yes, because one sentence from an entire story is the key point
4. Really? You're really going Leviticus? What's next? Sodom and Gomorrah? :rolleyes:

Clearly you are not a Biblical scholar, just another moron quoting passages in isolation. In fact, based on this post alone (and if I were a betting man) I'd say you'd never actually read the Bible.

Last edited:
Likening the tooth fairy to God isn't really a sensible comparison.

There's sound reasoning about the theory of God. There's stuff that science can't explain, so, one of the theories for the things that science can't explain is a creator/God. I have no problem with people who believe in God, until there's proof against it, you can't really tell for certain he's made up. The tooth fairy on the other hand, it's pretty much known for certain it was made up ;)

Religion however, I do have a problem with. I personally believe that a lot of religions are simply just spouting BS with their "holy" texts a load of crap. What annoys me the most is that there's so much hypocrisy. They ay to give to the poor and that God is omnipotent, yet why on earth do they spend so much on fancy crap for their places of worships when surely, their omnipotent God really ought to know that money could be better used.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bible is just as made up as Harry Potter.

I just made a slight change to the literary description of the tooth fairy.

Unlike Santa Claus and, to a lesser extent, the Easter Bunny, there are few details of the tooth fairy's appearance that are consistent in various versions of the myth. A 1984 study conducted by Rosemary Wells revealed that most, 74 percent of those surveyed, believed the tooth fairy to be female, while 12 percent believed the tooth fairy to be neither male nor female and 8 percent believed the tooth fairy could be either male or female.[3] When asked about her findings regarding the tooth fairy's appearance, Wells explained - "You've got your basic Tinkerbell-type tooth fairy with the wings, wand, a little older and whatnot. Then you have some people who think of the tooth fairy as a man, or a bunny rabbit or a mouse."[4] One review of published children's books and popular artwork found the tooth fairy to also be depicted as a child with wings, a pixie, a dragon, a blue mother-figure, a flying ballerina, two little old men, a dental hygenist, a pot bellied flying man smoking a cigar, a bat, a bear and others. Unlike the well-established imagining of Santa Claus, differences in renderings of the tooth fairy are not as upsetting to children.[5]

That was the original entry, just made a slight amendment.

Hope i don't get into trouble for the slight change I made in that article. :eek:

Last edited:
Likening the tooth fairy to God isn't really a sensible comparison.

There's sound reasoning about the theory of God. There's stuff that science can't explain, so, one of the theories for the things that science can't explain is a creator/God. I have no problem with people who believe in God, until there's proof against it, you can't really tell for certain he's made up. The tooth fairy on the other hand, it's pretty much known for certain it was made up ;)

I disagree. Filling in the gaps that can't be explained by science yet by saying "God did it" is not 'sound reasoning' in my book.

Back
Top Bottom