If you could make one currently legal thing illegal...

Why are people saying ban reality TV? There's some really good reality TV out there such as Masterchef (Masterchef Professionals), Great British Menu, Great British Bake Off.

Why are people saying ban reality TV? There's some really good reality TV out there such as Masterchef (Masterchef Professionals), Great British Menu, Great British Bake Off.

Which reminds me of another one.

The BBC should have a limit of the number of cookery programmes it airs. The same limit should also apply to antique shows, panel shows and spin-offs from Casualty.

You don't need a degree in theology or be pedantically obsessed with scripture (like you) to know the Bible condones slavery, rape, infanticide and the murder of those who work on a Sunday.

I think theophany has the measure of you my dear chap.

Of course, such a well read chap such as yourself would know what Jesus said to the Pharisees about the sabbath, or the difference between Old and New Covenant theology, the antithesis of Law as set out by the teachings of Christ, the differences between the moral, ceremonial and judicial precepts set out in the Bible and how that reflects on the Law of Moses (which you like quoting, albeit seemly without understanding its context within Christianity with regards the Decalogue or The Sermon on the Mount among other things) and the nature and import of the New Covenant as given to man through Christ and the fulfilment of The Sinaitic Covenant. Then again, on reflection, if you knew even a fraction of that, then we wouldn't be laughing quite so much........:D

Last edited:
1. Look up 'advocate' in the dictionary

Look up "should women be forced to marry the man that raped them" on isthismoral.com

2. That is strictly an Israelite law, regardless of it being a single passage from a story

Regardless, its printed in the Bible as good advice and a 'moral' obligation.

3. Yes, because one sentence from an entire story is the key point

Oh so as long as you hide the killing of children into one sentence then surround it with some flowery lines after it makes the killing of everyone's first born OK?

4. Really? You're really going Leviticus? What's next? Sodom and Gomorrah? :rolleyes:

It's part of the Bible is it not? Unlike religious people (and their defenders like you and Castiel) I don't disregard the bits or books I don't like.

Clearly you are not a Biblical scholar, just another moron quoting passages in isolation. In fact, based on this post alone (and if I were a betting man) I'd say you'd never actually read the Bible.

Says the person who thinks the Bible doesn't condone murder, rape or slavery. You sound like someone who went to Sunday school and only got told the nice bits.

I think theophany has the measure of you my dear chap.

Of course, such a well read chap such as yourself would know what Jesus said to the Pharisees about the sabbath, or the difference between Old and New Covenant theology, the antithesis of Law as set out by the teachings of Christ, the differences between the moral, ceremonial and judicial precepts set out in the Bible and how that reflects on the Law of Moses (which you like quoting, albeit without understanding its context within Christianity with regards the Decalogue) and the nature and import of the New Covenant as given to man through Christ and the fulfilment of The Sinaitic Covenant. Then again, on reflection, if you knew even a fraction of that, then we wouldn't be laughing at your attempts to have a theological discussion........:D

Blah, blah, blah once again you forget what we're talking about.

Most Christians don't have your knowledge Castiel but you act like they do, you say stuff like "Christians believe X but they don't believe in Y because it's not in the right chapter or it's from an older book in the series" forgetting that most Christians couldn't name you what Old and New Covenant theology is and are far from scholars on the subject. I'm interested in what most Christians actually believe, you're more interested in what they're supposed to believe based on what your RE lecturer told you they should.

Furthermore this wasn't actually specifically about Christians anyway, but theists in general and where they get their morals from. I don't believe for one second it's from the Bible (or other religious book).

A simple question (before you go on another irrelevant theology lesson), do you believe that any lines in the Bible are immoral (and you can choose any flavour of follower you want, Christianity, Judaism, Catholicism etc)

Last edited:

Masterchef was great in the 90's with Lloyd Grossman, like most things on tv they are just "improved" rehashes of the classics now...

/takes of rose tinted glasses

Of course, such a well read chap such as yourself would know what Jesus said to the Pharisees about the sabbath,

How can you claim anyone would know what someone allegedly said over 1000 Years ago? Oh, it's from a Book of which there are several versions, which were written long after the supposed events, at a time when literacy was extremely low and communication between 'scholars' of that time extremely limited.

It's part of the Bible is it not? Unlike religious people (and their defenders like you and Castiel) I don't disregard the bits or books I don't like.

Neither do I, neither does Christianity....The Old Testament in the Bible is not about giving Christians the Law, Mosaic Law refers to Judaism, it is about creating a context for the New Testament and the Covenant within it. Far from disregarding the Old Covenant, Christians are required to learn from it and understand how harsh times were and how harsh the laws had to be to deal with the culture and world in which the Israelites were invested, the Old Covenant paved the way for Christ to deliver the New Covenant and throughout the New Testament there are references to each change from punishment to forgiveness, kindness instead of violence and so on, built and informed from the message within it, which moved away from the harsh punishments required in Mosaic Law to the salvation through Christ in The New Covenant.

This is why such criticisms of Christianity are so weak, they are uninformed and deal with scripture passages in isolation instead of the actual message that the Bible was supposed to impart.

As far as your question on immorality, there are plenty of examples of immoral acts in the Bible, particularly from a modern Western perspective, and I am quite aware of the contradictions and questions within scripture, most of which have burdens theologian, philosophers and moralists for 1600 years and probably will for another 1600, however it is important to realise that the Bible questions its own morality all the time, the very point of the inclusion of the Old and New Testaments is (pardon the pun) testament to this. It is also important to understand that Western Morality has been heavily influenced by the New Testament, particularly since the Renaissance, so it is disingenuous to discount that influence entirely as you have done.

Also Christians (as in your common or garden parishioner) do not need an in-depth knowledge of the Bible (it is something that some will do more than others, Christianity doesn't require every adherent to be an expert) and I wouldn't expect them to, however this is why there is a Clergy, they are supposed to (and sometimes I admit they don't) have the knowledge and position to teach the message in a way that their congregation understands. That is the raison d'être of organised religion, is it not?

Anyway, this thread isn't about religion and the relative knowledge of their believers and so on....you clearly want a law against practicing religion, which is your choice, but I question how that fits into modern western ideas about freedom of expression and so on.....banning a belief system that you may not understand and/or agree with seems to be a retrograde step to me rather than a progressive one.

Anyway it's late and I've got work tomorrow so I did you goodnight, I'm sure this will come up again in a few weeks or so.....enjoy your week.

Last edited:
How can you claim anyone would know what someone allegedly said over 1000 Years ago? Oh, it's from a Book of which there are several versions, which were written long after the supposed events, at a time when literacy was extremely low and communication between 'scholars' of that time extremely limited.

Incidently the same book that Estebanrey is quoting from and therefore if he can quote from it in support of his position, then he should also realise that same book also debunks his position when considered as a whole. Whether you believe in it, or how long ago it was written, or how subjective the authorship might be is immaterial to that. If you use a source to support your position then that same source is a valid source to defend against that position.

Neither do I, neither does Christianity....The Old Testament in the Bible is not about giving Christians the Law, Mosaic Law refers to Judaism, it is about creating a context for the New Testament and the Covenant within it. Far from disregarding the Old Covenant, Christians are required to learn from it and understand how harsh times were and how harsh the laws had to be to deal with the culture and world in which the Israelites were invested, the Old Covenant paved the way for Christ to deliver the New Covenant and throughout the New Testament there are references to each change from punishment to forgiveness, kindness instead of violence and so on, built and informed from the message within it, which moved away from the harsh punishments required in Mosaic Law to the salvation through Christ in The New Covenant.

This is why such criticisms of Christianity are so weak, they are uninformed and deal with scripture passages in isolation instead of the actual message that the Bible was supposed to impart.

As far as your question on immorality, there are plenty of examples of immoral acts in the Bible, particularly from a modern moral perspective, however it is important to realise that the Bible questions its own morality all the time, the very point of the inclusion of the Old and New Testaments is (pardon the pun) testament to this.

Also Christians (as in your common or garden parishioner) doesn't need an in-depth knowledge of the Bible and I wouldn't expect them to, however this is why there is a Clergy, they are supposed (and sometimes they don't) to have the knowledge and position to teach the message in a way that their congregation understands. That is the raison d'être of organised religion, is it not?
A pretty good response, although the whole 'kill your son' thing always bothered me. Seems thoroughly douchebaggy.

Did Isaac wake up in a dark room, find a cassette and hear "I want to play a game"?

W5Li9.jpg

Incidently the same book that Estebanrey is quoting from and therefore if he can quote from it in support of his position, then he should also realise that same book also debunks his position when considered as a whole.

In other words, the Bible is contradictory. You can find nasty bits, but also nice bits which seem to imply the opposite of the aforementioned immoral bit.

It doesn't debunk my position because I said is that the Bible advocates those things I said, I never claimed it was the main message or there aren't contradictory passages to be found elsewhere.

But ultimately if someone who says they think black people should be killed then later admits to liking Caribbean cooking and Reggae, they're still racist (the Bible doesn't say this I am using a metaphor obviously).

But ultimately if someone who says they think black people should be killed then later admits to liking Caribbean cooking and Reggae, they're still racist (the Bible doesn't say this I am using a metaphor obviously).

To be fair you can say it's a story for reflection, not an opinion of any individual though it will obviously reflect moral values from that time.

Back
Top Bottom