If you don't have Facebook you don't exist... virtually

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
There are a few people in particular I have on facebook who are class A socio-paths... they can't even just post a picture of something kind of awesome and let the picture do the talking, it has to be accompanied by a caption saying something like "Work just gave me this flashy Merc to drive, ain't nothin :o"... and the same people do that annoying thing of putting up some willy-waving photo, wait a few weeks while all the sheeple "like" it... and then tag themselves in it, popping it back to the top of the news-wall thing for everyone to see all over again... Or post a status and then comment on it themselves a week later... RAAAH just **** off already! :mad:

The other day someone I know posted a picture of the food they were having with their family. I was just visualing it, "hold on guys... I have to take a photo of this... now uploading it to FB... with a comment..." And then he carries on checking for likes and comments throughout the meal. How about spending the time properly with the people who are there?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Assuming this refers to me...

I've got them because prior to becoming irritating attention seekers they did use to be good friends of mine from college, and do occasionally post things I am interested to hear about... It's just a shame it's peppered in-between so much annoying rubbish

Another important point is that people act differently on FB to how they do in real life. There was one guy I met at a gig who was really cool bloke, always had fun with him. But he acts like a ****** on FB so I removed him.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
If you like it then why do you care if other people don't?

This is why I hold that a lot of users don't actually like the fact that they're there. Nearly every time when I say I'm not on/dislike FB I get attacked. Very odd reaction. Coincidentally exactly the same reaction of people who are in denial.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
No, I'm pretty sure no-one has mentioned anything like that on this forum before... >.>

It's been mentioned, but everyone is just fine with it, thank you very much. Or they have a problem with it but just not enough of a problem to do anything about it. Or they'll say it's "tinfoil hat" as someone said earlier in this thread.

Likewise when I posted a link on Facebook about privacy concerns, several people shared it and commented that it was terrible. But they all stayed there.

That's what FB needs. It doesn't mind how much you hate it, as long as you stay there. In the meantime they'll carry on monitoring your life and reading your private conversations.

One of the most interesting times was when I tried to log in and a message came up saying, "your account is being reviewed, come back in two hours". No idea what that means but it's worrying.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
To summarise my views, I'd rather Facebook have some personal information about me than join the growing horde of boring preachers who feel the need to tell everyone they aren't on Facebook.

We don't care. Keep it to yourself.

Obviously you do care, or you wouldn't have made a point of saying you don't care. Did you go on FB and post about how you hate people who don't have FB?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Right, there are two separate points here.

Everything I said in the second paragraph of the OP. Yes, you may not give them all that info, but you'll give them a lot of it. And they'll try and get more. They're very sly, how they work. Putting in little buttons for you in the margins, things for you to rate and click that take you a fraction of a second. All this tells them more and more and more about you.

So let's say I open a new Gmail account and sign up to Facebook with a pseudonym and join open groups - what exactly will they be taking from me?

Very little at that point. But they'll know your interests because of those groups. Also, they will likely be able to know that it's you that's running this new account. Now, I don't know how they manage to know this but they do. When I opened my old account years ago, they suggested me friends from an old workplace. But I had never talked about that workplace on FB, and none of my friends knew those people. It was quite scary.

thread gone wayyyyyy off topic!

Yeah it has, but six pages in that was going to happen.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
You are one of the most paranoid people i've encountered online.

It may come as a surprise to you but chances are nobody gives a flying **** about your life or your private conversations and not a single living soul other than people you know in real life will have looked at your facebook page or read a message from you.

As I said earlier.

"your account is being reviewed, come back in two hours"

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The only thing similar to this that shows up on Google is related to either accounts that have been reported for whatever reason, or accounts that have been recently reactivated.

I find it funny that you think someone from Facebook is personally checking your account, and that to do that they need to suspend your account for 2 hours. All of their information gathering will be done automatically and be going on all the time, with the user's account fully active.

I find it funny that you keep responding in this thread when you say you don't care.

I do believe my account was personally checked, hence why they had to suspend it.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
[FnG]magnolia;25244976 said:
If I ran facebook I sure as hell wouldn't be interested in a single thing any of these conspiracy nutjobs said, posted or messaged. The self-importance which goes along with their hilariously misguided view of why anyone would be in the slightest interested in their nonsense is staggering and hilarious.

What's more staggering is the comments people make about things they don't know about. Facebook is the US government and CIA's best way of viewing and controlling the information shared in cults, lodges and secret societies involved in the occult, witchcraft and demonology. Some of the admins there have seen the most incredible things that they would never otherwise be privy to.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Read what I said earlier re: "caring." The fact I can spare < 5 minutes to reply to a thread on OcUK does not mean I "care," it is just a mild form of entertainment to join this discussion.

It's similar to why I sometimes watch the Jeremy Kyle show, it makes me feel good that I'm not like that. You've also got quite a lot of information on the internet for someone who is so concerned about privacy, Sam.

I wasn't concerned about my privacy in general, I was concerned about it on Facebook specifically. Where that is going and what the company is doing to its users with the information. You can't hide from the world totally unless you sit in a hole in the ground.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Ive just deleted my account aswell, well it takes 14 days for it to go. I just never needed it, I just joined cause other people were on it from my last job. But I seen them nearly everyday so it didn't make sense:p
Now im at a different job haven't seen them for 7 months and I don't post to them as ive moved on. I haven't got friends or family that live 100's of miles away, and if I did I rather pickup the phone.

2 days left for mine to go! Forgotten I had it save for these threads.

Back
Top Bottom