If you don't have Facebook you don't exist... virtually

Capodecina
Soldato
Since cancelling my account I've been thinking about this. When you tell people you don't have a FB account they look at your like you're weird, or like you don't exist in an internet sense. Maybe it's true.

Since the introduction of timelines FB has tried to do exactly that though: to recreate us as virtual people. We have a presence in the physical world, they want us to have a solid presence in the virtual world. If you did everything prompted by FB, they would know when you were born, where you went to school, who your friends were, where you went to uni, where you work, what your phone number is, your email, your residence, where you've visited in the world, who your first kiss was, where you've been on holiday, where you injured yourself [if you ever did], if you ever had an operation, where you are AT THIS VERY MOMENT, what you did last night, who your gf/wife/exes are, what music you listen to, what you read, what you watch on TV, your favourite films, restaurants, drinks, places to go... and what you're thinking.

A few years ago I was stalking an ex, as we all do. I couldn't find her on FB. Her friends didn't have her either though. I started to wonder... if she had died. Because she didn't have a FB account. Turns out, as I bumped into a friend of hers the other day, that she's not dead at all. Just not on FB. This is what FB has done: it encourages us to think that if someone is not there, they don't exist.

In retrospect I find this all extremely frightening. Yes, we have details in various places on the net but not to this extent. And the ironic thing is that all this information is volunteered by the users. Mix this in with recent studies which tell us that regular FB users are actually less happy than other people and it's hardly a surprise. FB is mostly about seeing what you don't have, who you can't have or trying to impress other people. We existed perfectly well as a race before it came along. And physical interaction is always better.

It'll get worse as well, esp with graph search and the like. But when will FB peak and crash? It happened to MySpace, it will happen to FB. But what will cause it and when? Maybe an exodus of users through privacy concerns. But the more we connect with FB, the harder it makes it to leave. I know there are plenty of users who talk about leaving but who never do. We're too lazy. And that's how Amazon and the like make their money... convenience and laziness of its users.

So who here doesn't have their virtual identity stamped on FB?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Oh look another reatrded post.
Fb only has what you post, dont wnat to put your phone number in, work etc then dont.

Read my post properly. Everything is very carefully worded. I said if you put in everything they wanted you to put in.

Facebook is another tool, just like phones, text messages, emails etc.
It is far far easier organising events on facebook, than any other method.
Its also far easier to share photos than any other method.

They want us to think it's a tool, but it's just dressed up as that. It's an advertising vehicle. We are the products. They are not a charity.

Lol, amazon make there money, as they are one of the cheapest places, have pretty much everything and do free shipping, as well as other shipping schemes. They simply offer a cheaper and better service than others

They do. But they make their money because people are lazy. Read my post again.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Sure it is personal stuff and in the wrong hands could be used against me but for example Facebook isn't going to use my email address to send me loads of spam or when I am on holiday to rob my house etc.

No, they rob you of all your personal details and give them to other people.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
All of that said, you seem to have made a fair few posts about FB. Why the obsession? I'm not on FB and don't give a hoot about it.

This is my second thread on it recently. One was about the privacy concerns, and this is a retrospective. Since leaving I can see just how it saps your life and personal details. Not only that, but you actually engage far more properly with the people who mean something to you in your life without it.

This might be why.....

Hey I just deleted Facebook!!
Ok, who cares.
Yeah, I deleted it cos Facebook is just trying to make a virtual me.
Erm, ok.
I mean back when I still had Facebook and was trying to stalk my ex, the obvious conclusion was that she doesn't exist any more.
<begins looking for the exit>
I actually wondered if she might be dead - just because she wasn't on Facebook!!
****ing weirdo.

Typical FB user who actually agrees with everything I wrote in the OP. Denial.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
More nonsense.
That is all down to you. You dont engage with people in real life due to face book? lol. Does that mean using a phone isnt engaging with people or emial, or hand written letters.
How exactly does it sap personal details.
It only has what you post, dont post stuff it doesnt have it.

My, this thread has inspired some strong reactions already.

Using Facebook encourages fleeting interaction with many people, rather than personal interaction with a few.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Keep wearing them tinfoil hats people!!

Nothing tinfoil hat about it. It's real and it's happening to you. You can call mass personal data sharing and exploitation 'tinfoil hat', you can call people who dislike what you like 'haters', you can call people who like to be punctual 'time nazis'. Whatever makes you feel like they are mad and you are not mad. If I thought like you people did I'd be so compliant with the world it's scary.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
No, they make money by people inputting information on themselves and the advertising towards that information.

You could argue that by that information, they do offer people what they want (in advertising deals etc.) but it's still what it is.

As to the OPs point I'll use a delightful quote from magnolia.

If you're not giving facebook information, you don't exist to them and the others that need your input to be self obsessed with themselves and in turn yourself.

It's not that the rumour of being dead is greater or that you don't exist, you're just not a person that needs an ego stroke from someone so remote you might not know or even met in a physical presence.

The person you knew physically in the past doesn't need to be "liked" in the present and doesn't have the need to interact with people that do. They haven't put there identity on there as they don't want to be seen as someone that needs re-assurance from other identities. Not that they don't want to be seen at all.

Excellent post. I think 'likes' are seen as some sort of currency... only that you can't do anything with it at present. People love getting likes, it validates them in some way, makes them think they are cool, clever or funny [always one or more of those three].

Maybe at some point you'll be able to trade likes for bitcoins or some rubbish.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
So many strong views on such a non-issue...

Oh yes, this is another phrase that's getting used a lot at the moment. If something is not relevant to you personally, it's a "non issue". But this is extremely relevant to all internet users, since even if you don't use the site, you will know many people who do.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
My core friends do but not the others that I wanted to keep in touch with now and then. Since I closed my account a few years ago I've lost all contact with them. I suppose that was an error on my part - I could have handed out alternative contact details before I closed my account - oh well.

Nah, all it means is that you didn't care that much about them anyway. Nothing of value was lost. Now you can spend time on the people you really care about.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
It's a non-issue because there are lot of far more important things going on in the world to be riled up about than a poxy website.

I guess the a la mode phrase would be 'first world problems.'

Interesting choice for words. This 'poxy website' isn't some Angelfire blog, it happens to be one of the top earning websites on the planet.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
The key difference between keeping in contact via FB and more traditional electronic means (i.e. e-mail) seems to be purpose.

With e-mail, Skype etc you need a specific reason to contact them, even if it's a general chat or a quick happy birthday message.

With FB it seems you can mash your face on the keyboard to generate all levels of tosh to post and this is consider acceptable communication.

This is exactly the point I was making too. With email and Skype you tend to speak to the people you really care about. It takes a little more time and effort but it's more satisyfing.

Posting status updates so people can like it is just attention-whoring.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
It wasn't as bad as this in 2006. Perhaps because I never went onto such sites and very little from the internet made it to your TV. If you wanted to know of said things you had to go searching.

I wish it were 2006, the internet was far more exciting. And far less annoying.

Back
Top Bottom