• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If you had £130 today what card would you buy

Associate
OP
Well I went went with the 260, more than happy very nice upgrade from an 8800 GTX much better IQ, people who say its noisey really cant have owned an 8800 GTX :D to me its silent my corsair hx 620 is easily louder than it.

Fan asnt span up past 40% yet and after playing Empire total Wars for about 5 hours last night it was still under 70 degrees.

Left 4 dead can now be maxed at 1920x1200 with much better solid fps same as empire total wars everything on ultra and it seemed very good, no major slow down anywhere.

My only gripe is where the hell was my free game and my glasses ? Its advertised to come with both the game and 3d glasses but nothing in the box or anything ? pretty poor ocuk advertise free stuff it seems when ever I actually buy it the free games and goodies are never in sight as this isn't the first time this as happened:(

Soldato
My only gripe is where the hell was my free game and my glasses ? Its advertised to come with both the game and 3d glasses but nothing in the box or anything ? pretty poor ocuk advertise free stuff it seems when ever I actually buy it the free games and goodies are never in sight as this isn't the first time this as happened:(

They sometimes indeed forget it, you need to contact them and they will usually send it after a while.

Associate
I'd go with the 260GTX, depending on what game / appication you run most depends on wether it's better / worse than a 4890. Both very similar performance cards, go with whatever you can get cheaper.

Associate
OP
They sometimes indeed forget it, you need to contact them and they will usually send it after a while.

Thank you, ill send a web note. All is forgiven it was a Saturday afternoon and im more than happy with my purchase. I can live without the game until they can get one out.

Man of Honour
With the 4890 very marginally less than 4% faster overall, the only really big advantage it has is the extra VRAM which currently doesn't really come into play unless you are playing at 2560x res...

The 4890 will typically OC by 10-15% with very few capable of clocking above that without voltmodding/replacement cooling, the 260GTX will OC to around 20-25% faster with very few cards not capable of that...

So all in all it works out pretty even give or take unless you only run your cards at stock - where the fps difference really isn't going to make any odds playability wise.

Soldato
With the 4890 very marginally less than 4% faster overall, the only really big advantage it has is the extra VRAM which currently doesn't really come into play unless you are playing at 2560x res...

The 4890 will typically OC by 10-15% with very few capable of clocking above that without voltmodding/replacement cooling, the 260GTX will OC to around 20-25% faster with very few cards not capable of that...

So all in all it works out pretty even give or take unless you only run your cards at stock - where the fps difference really isn't going to make any odds playability wise.

Check out this review gives a good comparison and also has minimum frame rates included the 4890 is a lot more than 4% faster.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/23415-sapphire-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-gddr5-review.html

gtx260 holds its own in some games but in most its out classed by the 4890. Its a 5870 review so both cards are on latest drivers i would imagine.

Soldato
in Crysis the difference isn't so much as that game favours Nvidia

but in most other games I'd say from looking at the reviews that the 4890 is on average about 18-25% faster than the GTX260 - depending on the game - most being in the upper part of that range

Back
Top Bottom