Ignore this thread

Caporegime
The chimney breast projection is small because the walls either side have been extended out into the room due to the noise insulation. The room is 119mm narrower/shorter than originally constructed.

Associate
OP
The chimney breast projection is small because the walls either side have been extended out into the room due to the noise insulation. The room is 119mm narrower/shorter than originally constructed.

Ah, that makes sense. Fantastic username for this threat too :)

Would you say that is any cause for concern? I only wondered as it's on the party wall.
The house is very well decorated and even the living room has a big hole in the wall where the TV sits inside. So I think maybe the current owners insulated it or something and set the wall into the wall so it was flush

Probably worrying over nothing like usual (hopefully)

Capodecina
Soldato
@redrabbit29 - Any idea what the "noise insulation" consists of?
@Surveyor - of what material would you need to make some four inches of noise insulation for it to be worthwhile?

I ask this because my neighbour seems to be stone deaf and has his TV at maximum volume! ;)

Caporegime
I wouldn't worry as as long as you're happy with the resulting layout and the insulation is doing its job.

Ceiling height looks a little low though...

Man of Honour
Just a thought... does that indicate the neighbours could be extremely noisy? Might be worth visiting the house at a busy time to see if they are problematic neighbours (e.g. Saturday evening).

Associate
is this a 70s-80s home mine is the same as this its a taylor wimpey house from the 70s-80s I just assumed that they used a shallow chimney lining on the upper floor as it's not a fire opening to give a bit more room in the bedroom

Associate
So would that be 100mm insulation and 19mm for board and plaster?

Soldato
Just a thought... does that indicate the neighbours could be extremely noisy? Might be worth visiting the house at a busy time to see if they are problematic neighbours (e.g. Saturday evening).

I would throughly check this out. Noise insulation is in there for a reason.

Caporegime

I would throughly check this out. Noise insulation is in there for a reason.

The OP has already bought the house.

So would that be 100mm insulation and 19mm for board and plaster?

Could be. I was assuming 119mm is the total amount taken off the room dimention.

Associate

Maybe the reverse could also be true (have you completed on the sale yet?) - do the current owners have a load of AV gear in the room, perhaps they have improved the sound insulation so they can up the volume?

Soldato
120mm is what I've been quoted for noise insulation as the top spec that they offer, it costs thousands so whoever did it was motivated but I would see it as a bad thing, the party wall obviously let's a lot of noise through and if they didn't want to move at the time then this was the solution

Doesn't mean you have bad neighbors either, could have just been general living noise, I'm going through the decision process of getting mine done now, actually interested to hear what kind of noise if any you get from next door in the rooms with the insulation when you're in and settled

Associate
OP
It's a bit late to start asking questions about the survey then :)

I have bought the house in that, I have sold mine and had an offer agreed on this new one. It is going through the solicitors. Therefore the survey is just a part of the general process and we only got it on Monday of this week.

Associate
OP
I'm unsure of who the occupants are... The semi-detached house adjoining us is split into two flats, one on the bottom and on on the flat. This is in a village.

The top floor I know has a middle-aged couple, one of whom works in IT I think or at least with computers. I'm not sure of the person who lives below. I've been there several times in the evening and it is very quiet and looks just like a normal place.

There is nothing which causes me any concern, e.g. the general area outside is well kept, it is very leafy and neat/private area.

I will go back a few more times though. We've already asked surveyor about noise insulation and waiting for reply.

Back
Top Bottom