Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Associate
Hello *! I just registered because this is the only forum that has such a huge thread about the GB3461WQSU-B1. I have mine for 1,5y now and was quite happy with it. Then today, from one second to the other, the backlight turned greenish and is kind of pulsating very slowly (meaning the green gets more intense and then less intense). Is this a known problem? As of now, I am writing this text while using the monitor, so it's kind of usable. However I was wondering if there is a fix I can implement myself or does the monitor have to be RMAd? I tried various settings in the OSD (overdrive, freesync etc.) and in Windows (resolution, refresh rate). Then a different DP cable but to no avail. It's connected via DP 1.4 cable to my RTX3070Ti. A second monitor was tested with the graphics card and is working fine. Any suggestions from you guys that don't need me reading the whole thread would be appreciated. :) Thanks in advance!

Soldato
A quick search indicates that the warranty is 3 years and if you purchaased from Iiyama directly it's an onsite swap-out so you should contact Iiyama.

Associate
The warranty period is known. ;) I have it until mid 2024. However, in order to avoid a tedious RMA with possibly several weeks of waiting, if there is a known fix that I could perform myself I would prefer that of course.
Nevertheless (and here's the good (?) news): After turing off the PC overnight, the problem with the monitor is gone as if nothing happened. For the time being I'm glad but I know something is not right. As of today I will wait and "investigate"...

Associate
Short update: replacement monitor was deliviered. It was a brand new one. No dead/stuck pixels, sadly a spot in the upper right corner where a lot of bleeding is visible. But it's not a deal-breaker for me...

Associate
Hi

Since this monitor brought me to my knees, here is the message sent to IIyama and through that, you ll understand what I mean and what I went through.
By the way, is there a firmware for this monitor (not driver)?

So here it goes ..... enjoy reading.

<<<<<
Hi
I ve purchased your monitor, model G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1, for some time now. After the first few months started developing the standby – won t come back bug and I had to either unplug the cable or unplug the power cord. I continued with this issue the following months and I started noticing that when the monitor would wake up from stand by or upon loading windows from the first start up, a small portion of few centimeters on the lower part of the screen, was becoming a mosaic of gradient colors (like the online pixel tests). The solution to that was to either switch to another source and then back or close the screen and lid it up again. These two issues continued up to today but I didn’t want to risk to return the monitor and have a refurbished on with dead pixels (after all you don’t have 0 pixels), ips glow, fogging (no t hat it hasn t) or what else an ips panel suffers from.

Apart from all the above, this monitor gave me the worst troubleshoot experience ever. I m a mechanical / network engineer and along side I build pc’s / servers for companies. You can easily image that at my 43, I ve come to build and troubleshoot a couple of thousand machines. The problem started with my personal pc consisting back then (1 year) from ….
CPU: 3900x / RAM: 2X16 GSKILL TRIDENT (3600Mhz) (AMD CERTIFIED) / OS DISK: SAMSUNG SSD 970 EVO 500GB / GPU: GIGABYTE EXTREME 1080TI / PSU:CORSAIR 850HXi (Platinum) /MOBO: B550 ASUS STRIX GAMING -F /OS: Windows 10 Pro
… and it was random blue screens or restarts upon gaming. It was then that started a colosseum effort to find the cause of this. I did everything!!! possible except one thing (wait for it). Started troubleshooting minidump files (no real help there since it was indicating something like a h/w), re-installation of the OS, change OS to Win11, changed the WHOLE!!!! system in a period of 1 year time. A cost I couldn’t t afford and didn t want as well to spend. So bottom line is a

I changed the whole system which now consists of ….
CPU: 5900x / RAM: 2 x 16 Hyperx (3600Mhz) / OS DISK: SEAGATE SSD Firecuda 1TB / GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 12GB / PSU:SEASONIC VERTEX 1200 (Platinum) / MOBO: B550 ASROCK /OS: Windows 11 Pro
…. And still the problem persists !!!!

It wasn t earlier until a week ago that I though the only thing that remains the same is the motherboard’s chipset which was B550. Maybe some incompatibility between it and the gpu. So I borrowed a X570 one and re installed everything. Started a random game and in less than 2 minutes restarted. At that time, I wanted to borrow an axe as well and cut it in half!!!!! It was then that looked at the monitor and the monitor back at me. The only thing in my mind excluded from all troubleshooting was the monitor. That s how sure I was that a monitor can t cause these kinds of things. Murphy’s laws applied to me and being kept there upon my head for a year and a half !!!!!!! I unplugged that damn monitor and tried with a plain HD monitor. Started a game and 45 mins later still was playing the game (and we re not talking for a high refresh rate game like first person shooter s or something, a simple plain RTS like age of empires type game.) My next step was to borrow a monitor with better resolution and hz to test. So I took my system to a friend of mine who had a Dell IPS G-sync 144Hz 2560 resolution and guess what …… it played as well. Returned home and plugged the iiyama monitor again and the restart was in my pocket !!!!

Of course the monitor is in your site as EOL and it is off warranty because I had faith in it and didn’t troubleshoot it at all.

If you reply back with the cliché <<we re very sorry to hear about your inconvenience>> , you just don t have the slightest idea of the frustration I wen t through, the money I ve lost in research of all that and the psychology I was in all this time. So spare it because you don’t. You re just copy pasting formal phrases.

PS Of course upon all that journey I experimented with different bios setting / memory timings /different OS settings / different cables and versions of them (both hdmi and displayport)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
Soldato
That's a really long message, it could have been more concise. Why did you wait so long to RMA it?

Firmware updates have to be done back at base if that is the problem.

Mine started flickering, I sent them a message to say that and they sent me a brand new in retail box GB3467WQSU once it came into stock and picked up the old one same day. No questions asked, they just did it.

While it took a few weeks for the monitor to come back into stock, and it's a slightly different spec screen, its a brand new retail unit and dealing with the RMA was very easy.

I'd take a new retail unit over a refurb which is normal for a warranty replacement any day of the week.

Getting an acceptable warranty replacement out of Dell was like getting blood out of a stone, I went through 4 refurbs (some of which had worse issues than the one I RMA'd) before they caved and sent me a new retail unit.

Last edited:
Associate
That's a really long message, it could have been more concise. Why did you wait so long to RMA it?

Firmware updates have to be done back at base if that is the problem.

Mine started flickering, I sent them a message to say that and they sent me a brand new in retail box GB3467WQSU once it came into stock and picked up the old one same day. No questions asked, they just did it.

While it took a few weeks for the monitor to come back into stock, and it's a slightly different spec screen, its a brand new retail unit and dealing with the RMA was very easy.

I'd take a new retail unit over a refurb which is normal for a warranty replacement any day of the week.

Getting an acceptable warranty replacement out of Dell was like getting blood out of a stone, I went through 4 refurbs (some of which had worse issues than the one I RMA'd) before they caved and sent me a new retail unit.

A similar situation happened to me. I returned the IPS due to a horizontal green line appearing after sleep and problems waking. They offered me a refurbished unit or new model if I waited, which I did as I wasn't in any rush. What do you think of the GB3467WQSU compared to your old IPS?

Last edited:
Soldato
The curve took a bit of getting used to, particularly as I have a second 27” screen to the side in vertical orientation.

I was a bit concerned that they might be more smearing going to a VA panel from an IPS but in all honesty it’s fine. That said I don’t do much fast paced gaming these days. It’s nice not having that characteristic IPS glow too.

Edit: no obvious defects, dead pixels etc. so happy days.

So yeh, thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
Associate
The curve took a bit of getting used to, particularly as I have a second 27” screen to the side in vertical orientation.

I was a bit concerned that they might be more smearing going to a VA panel from an IPS but in all honesty it’s fine. That said I don’t do much fast paced gaming these days. It’s nice not having that characteristic IPS glow too.

Edit: no obvious defects, dead pixels etc. so happy days.

So yeh, thumbs up from me.

Yeah, mine doesn't have any dead pixels either. The contrast is a lot better and looks pretty decent. The main flaw I've seen is when scrolling text on a webpage there seems to be ghosting.

Associate
I would prefer IPS panel any day of the year instead of crappy va panels with awful color uniformity which is the most critical issue for me. Back in the says with NEC / Eizo ... etc monitors there were awsome PMVA panels which were better than AH-IPS (not quicker in response though but who cared since there were only 60hz (at best 75hz)) but with the additional cost. Now there are only VA panels. Next one.

Last edited:
Soldato
You say that but these were relatively inexpensive large screens and IPS were not exactly perfect either. Every IPS screen I have had has suffered from IPS glow and back light bleed. If anything the newer and larger the screens got, the worse the bleed and glow.

It was nowhere near as bad back in the day when 20” was considered cutting edge the screens were about 4X as thick as they are now.

The reality is, most LCD’s have blatant flaws due to cost cutting and the drive towards thinner and thinner products. While you get the colours and blacks on OLED it comes with a side helping of burn in. Nothing is perfect, they all have issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have this monitor, just over three years old and it's worked perfectly for me. Until today when I plugged a MacBook Pro, M1 into it via DisplayPort. All worked fine until I came back to it a few hours later and it wouldn't wake up from standby. Needed a power cycle with the MacBook unplugged.

I have a PC with 3060 Ti connected via Display Port 1 and the MacBook connected to Display Port 2. I was hoping to just swap the source on the monitor - but this particular monitor seems not to like that!

Is there a workaround for this issue?

Edit, another thing, when can I connected to Macbook the orange standby light stays on even when unplugged from mains. The monitor is continually drawing power from the laptop?

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like the answer might be to connect the MacBook via a Thunderbolt to HDMI connection, however, the monitor has HDMI 2.0 which means a maximum of 100Hz. Not the end of the world, but not great.

Soldato
Update on this. I am now using a a USB-C to HDMI cable and it works fine. Using HDMI has avoided the DP bug in my monitor preventing it waking from standby. Seems to be running at 100Hz on my UW 1440p display.

Only problem is that my little MBP only has *two* ports! One is used for monitor, one is used my keyboard/mouse switch (shared with PC) which leave nothing free for the power! It's impossible to use the monitor, power and external peripherals at the same time. I guess I need some kind of expansion adapter to connect the power and peripherals into one port.

Back
Top Bottom