Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 - Flat 34" 1440 144HZ 1MS IPS Freesync for <£400

Caporegime
Caporegime
OP
Where did you find out that it was the same panel as this? Some of the specs seems slightly different such as the brightness being 350 as opposed to 300.

No professional reviews yet, AFAIK, but if you cannot wait the acer XV340CK can be bought right now with the same panel.

Up until recently LG had a monopoly on ultrawide IPS technology screens, which naturally leads to those beings expensive. The panel in that iiyama is of Chinese make (BOE) and it looks like they are keen to undercut the market.

Caporegime
OP
Only thing I would be worried about this monitor is:

- how heavy the anti-glare matte finish is
- contrast ratio, hopefully not less than 1000:1.........

And of course, the usual back light bleed and/or excessive IPS glow.

Noticed it is a ADS IPS panel, iirc, that is Samsungs IPS panels?

Caporegime
OP
And ordered, too good of a price to refuse and suspect it will only go up by £50-100 once stock does arrive.....

Will be used more for work than anything as oled telly will still get used for the majority of gaming etc.

Been looking at this for the last few days.
Looks an absolute steal.

Is it Freesync 2 or just Freesync?

Probably just freesync, the freesync range for this is 48-144HZ so I don't think that meets the freesync 2 requirements.

I thought theirs were PLS

Ah yeah that's right! Not sure who this panel is by then.....

Caporegime
OP
Just realised my desk monitor arm won't support the weight of this.... Damn it!!!! Only got the monitor arm a couple of months ago too.

Caporegime
OP
Decided to cancel mine, read a few comments about the acer one (same panel) having a heavier matte finish than LGs (can't stand this) and also because I have been burnt too many times with shoddy QC.

Will wait for more user comments and preferably a review from trust worthy sites first.

Caporegime
OP
For backlight bleed etc.:

- set the brightness to what you would use yourself i.e. don't have it set to 100%
- if your phone/camera has exposure control, adjust this until what you see on the camera screen matches what your eyes see in real life

Caporegime
OP
I got this monitor in yesterday and got my buddy to bring his 34GK950F down for some comparison. Here are some thoughts for whoever is interested:

A photo of it set up - https://postimg.cc/SYSyTgVv

Build:
the screen without the stand is slightly over 7kg due to the built-in speakers and power supply, so double check your monitor arm specs if you're planning on mounting it that way. Top and side bezels are flush with the screen and very thin - around 5mm. The chin is thicker, like on LG's monitors. The plastic is flush with the display and there is no play in the casing when applying pressure, which is always nice. The OSD is controlled via 5 separate buttons instead of a joystick, which would have been better. The power button is slightly apart from the rest, at least, which helps in getting used to the layout.

Flat screen:
I come from a 29" flat monitor, so going up to this 34" hasn't really been a problem at all. It's only 2.3" wider on each side than my old display, or compared to a 16:9 flat 32" - 1.7" wider on each side.

Matte Coating: It's thicker than the one LG use. If you look at a white page from a foot away you can spot the "crystallised" pattern. That being said, I spend a lot of time working in Excel on my PC, which is pretty much a worst case scenario for this - black lines and text on a white background, and it doesn't bother me at all. I sit about 32" away from the monitor.

Colours: I don't have a colorimeter but they looked nice and vibrant compared to my old 29" LG IPS. Colours on the 34GK950F were more oversaturated and vivid by comparison due to its wider colour gamut. The monitor supports 10bit processing (8bit + FRC). The viewing angles aren't as good as on a curved 34". There is some slight discolouration right near the edge of the side bezels. E.g. discord active channel tab graphic or fullscreen scrollbar

Brightness: Definitely bright enough. I have it set at 25/100 throughout the day. My metric is being able to open a full white screen without feeling discomfort.

IPS glow: 4 small yellow patches of glow near each of the four corners. A big orange patch near the bottom left corner. The latter causes some discolouration even when using the monitor in a well lit room, effectively making the left 20% of the display look warmer than the rest. Overall, I'd call this above average - worse than LG's old panels (X34P, AW3418), slightly worse than their newer ones (34GK950F). Don't buy this if you are planning to mainly game in a dark room. Of course there is a lot of variance here, so take my sample point with a grain of salt.

Response Time: there are 5 levels of overdrive in the OSD, ranging from -2 to +2. "+2" shows some strong haloing straight away at 144Hz, so probably not usable for most people. "+1" has minor inverse ghosting, but barely noticeable. Played an hour or two at that setting at both 60Hz and 144Hz and am satisfied with the performance - there is no dark level smearing like on VA panels. The ghosting is a bit worse than the 34GK950F in the UFO test. Overall, I'd say this is practically a 120Hz monitor. Bumping the refresh down from 144 to 120 shows a visible reduction in ghosting trails in both UFO test and general use like moving windows around & scrolling in discord or a browser. I didn't notice any problems with input lag. I also didn't test the MPRT mode because I rather have adaptive sync.

Adaptive Sync: I haven't had the time to test with an Nvidia GPU yet. On my Vega 64 I tested Freesync both at 144Hz, 30Hz and 45-50Hz (around the LFC activation range). No tearing, flickering, stuttering or any other problems of note. The "Freesync Premium" standard seems to be implemented well here.

Overall: for the price this is a cracking good display in my opinion. The biggest downside for me is the glow level, but it's not a deal breaker. I would also have liked to see a software app to control the OSD, hopefully iiyama can develop one eventually. I'll probably get the 34GN850 from OCUK to check it out, if they get stock this month, but I doubt it will be sufficiently better to justify at ~£600 premium.

Nice summary there!

Which LG 29" monitor did you come from, I currently have the 29um65 and it is pretty spot on in the whole

How do you find the overall quality compared to the LG 29" i.e.

- blacks/contrast ratio, these 29" monitors from LG have always been great here with contrast ratio being about 1300/1500:1 depending on the panel
- sharpness/coating, is the heavier finish noticeable? i.e. does it reduce the "pop" of the screen
- motion compared to the LG 29", I imagine it should be noticeably better given 60 vs 120/144hz....

Caporegime
OP
Generally liyama aren't the best for out of the box settings so might require a fair bit of calibrating.

Be great if tftcentral or pcmonitorsinfo gets this to review to give us proper info on things like response time etc.

Caporegime
OP
And this is why I quit the monitor market and bought an OLED TV instead!!!!!

Can't believe bleed etc. are still problematic these days, disgrace.

Caporegime
OP
Id jump on quick, theyre selling out quick allot of places. I can see a price hike if Iiyama are smart.

Yup, very likely the price will go up but quite concerning how many have problems already :(

I always wonder just how many of the problems are down to damn delivery people, I have never seen anyone be exactly gentle when dropping of stuff, then the other week when I took delivery of my new chair, guy went and dropped it..... Needless to say, it has a creaking noise and is a bit wobbly but I don't know if that is because the chair is refurbished or because of him dropping it.... :rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Mine been dispatched too.

Hopefully be here on Saturday but more likely Monday.

EDIT:

I'll have no hesitation in rma'ing as will keep my current monitor until I can get a good panel.

Been through this before with my current lg 29", after the first 2, I learnt to just open the box, set the stand up, turn on, adjust settings, if bad then back in the box it went.

Back
Top Bottom