Ikea markus replacement?

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a replacement for my markus seat with something more comfortable and reclining option?
any recommendation, prefer cloth and not leather or black lol

Thanks

May I suggest something like the Ergo Human chair. It's a mesh chair, has built in lumbar support. Adjustable seating too.
Depending on where you purchase it from they cost between £450 to £600. I bought a second hand one and I have used it for around 4 years or more.
Mines in good condition gives me the best back support. But don't take my word for it do some research online and see if it takes your fancy

Watching this with interest.

I have an Ikea Markus currently. I don't find it too bad, but there's a nagging feeling I could do better, and I do get a sore arse at times, and the lower back support isn't quite as good as it could be.

I like the look of gaming chairs, but the office ones are so much more expensive new that I feel there must be a reason for that.

Some people do seem to prefer gaming seats though, but I will be in this seat at least 7.5 hours a day, 5 days a week.

My work have offered to pay for a good chair, so I now find myself with £500 I can spend.

I've been looking at second hand Herman Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap or Please, or new Noble Chairs / Secretlabs.

Also watching this with interest. Was interested in the Ikea Markus but maybe I should spend it elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, it's not too bad for the money, but I think better chairs are out there, especially when we're using them so heavily... when I bought mine, I only intended to use it for a few hours a week, but now, it's 8 hours a day.

I also don't think they're as good value as they used to be; my mrs got one very similar to it from another well known furniture/home supplier that rhymes with mayfair and it was les than half the price that they're charging now, and is just as good as far as I can tell.

I've tried a lot of chairs out there for lower back pain (a variety of herman miller chairs, markus etc), and really it does depend for what kind of support you need.

But if you don't want a mesh type chair and need a firmer support then I'd highly recommend the secretlab chairs. The 'gaming chair' aspect of it put me off at first, but its very customisable (armrest, lumbar support, headrest, tilt etc) and I can sit for long periods of time now without pain.

Again, each to their own though! :)

Edit - just to add, the budget for these chairs depend on size and material but its around £350

I hate the cushioning on the Markus chair, I use a bonmedico Comfort cushion with mine since a week after I got it as it was giving me lower back issues. Also its started to creak aswell which is annoying being only a year or so old.

The gaming chairs are ok but I hate the "race" look of them plus does not fit in well with the rest of the room which is why I went for the Markus in the first place as it was simple. I got an M6 for racing around in lol

Do like the look of that Steelcase Please V2, looks like it has decent back support and plenty of adjustment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RllGzzMp8A

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, it's not too bad for the money, but I think better chairs are out there, especially when we're using them so heavily... when I bought mine, I only intended to use it for a few hours a week, but now, it's 8 hours a day.

I also don't think they're as good value as they used to be; my Mrs got one very similar to it from another well-known furniture/home supplier that rhymes with Mayfair and it was less than half the price that they're charging now, and is just as good as far as I can tell.

No that's it ain't it, the requirements have gone up a lot in recent times with this whole covid situation. I will keep my eye out and see what can be done. I hope some sales soon haaaa

I got an Ikea Markus recently for cheap used... and while it's an upgrade on the green plastic garden chair I used for a couple years it's not quite as good as I'd hoped after seeing it mentioned a fair bit on the office chairs subreddit ... I find it provides no back support whatsoever if you like to sit upright as it just can't go vertical enough, so I've resigned to locking it in a semi-reclined position and slouching back into it and it seems passable now (I took the arms off too)... also it does seem to kinda clunk about a bit and sometimes I swear it's tipping to one side but that might be due to it not being new.

From the lurking in the aforementioned sub then the following chairs seemed to be highly rated, though you'd probably need to find a refurbished/used option unless you've got tons of money:
Steelcase leap v2, Steelcase gesture, Humanscale freedom and Herman Miller Embody (if you don't need a headrest)

Though I would note that I've not sat in any of them personally (and if you're spending that much on a chair you probably should and it's not the greatest time to be going around finding places to try chairs) ... also while the humanscale freedom looks great for reclining because it moves the headrest forward so still provides neck support and keeps your head facing forward when leaning back (something I've had to resolve on the markus by just rolling up a handtowel, slapping a couple rubberbands around it and shoving it behind my neck, haha) one of the reviews I saw said even though the chair is supposed to fit people up to 6'4", if you're 6'2" or more then the headrest doesn't seem to go high enough.

Still on the fence with this. I’ve asked the question elsewhere and most seem to suggest gaming seats are ‘junk’. I’m not going to go that far though, and plenty of places seem to suggest that actually they are still comfortable and ergonomic as gamers themselves will be glued to a desk for hours on end, which makes sense. I personally like the look of the gaming seats better.

There’s also a few people who’ve told me these second hand office/task chairs can be varying degrees of worn out/knackered, and a few grumblings about the build quality of some Steelcase seats, and quite a few who suggest the HM ones are good but somewhat overrated for comfort.

Also as said, it’s not exactly practical to try them out and I only have another 3 weeks to buy one before the offer of free money runs out.

Still on the fence with this. I’ve asked the question elsewhere and most seem to suggest gaming seats are ‘junk’. I’m not going to go that far though, and plenty of places seem to suggest that actually they are still comfortable and ergonomic as gamers themselves will be glued to a desk for hours on end, which makes sense. I personally like the look of the gaming seats better.

There’s also a few people who’ve told me these second hand office/task chairs can be varying degrees of worn out/knackered, and a few grumblings about the build quality of some Steelcase seats, and quite a few who suggest the HM ones are good but somewhat overrated for comfort.

Also as said, it’s not exactly practical to try them out and I only have another 3 weeks to buy one before the offer of free money runs out.

I think it might be helpful to narrow down by design. Do you want a mesh like design like HM employs or a firmer/less mouldy design like gamer chairs/some steelcase options?

I think it might be helpful to narrow down by design. Do you want a mesh like design like HM employs or a firmer/less mouldy design like gamer chairs/some steelcase options?

I think my priorities are something that will do well for working which will be 90% of its use, but also something nice to chill out in when the need arises. In theory the mesh ones are cooler, however the others look better, I’m pretty open minded really. And, if buying second hand, something that won’t break after 13 months.

I’ve asked the question elsewhere and most seem to suggest gaming seats are ‘junk’. I’m not going to go that far though, and plenty of places seem to suggest that actually they are still comfortable and ergonomic as gamers themselves will be glued to a desk for hours on end, which makes sense. I personally like the look of the gaming seats better

Most of them are.

There's a ton of really poor Chinese 'gamer' chairs out there which are essentially just cheap ricer bucket seats stuck to an office chair base. That said, companies such as Noblechairs have some very nice and well made products that I would be very happy to use.

Regardless my vote would normally be to find a place where you can check some of the chairs you're interested in out, unfortunately that's pretty much impossible at the moment thanks to Covid. Still, I'd personally be looking at second hand office suppliers for a Herman Miller or similar in good condition.

I think my priorities are something that will do well for working which will be 90% of its use, but also something nice to chill out in when the need arises. In theory the mesh ones are cooler, however the others look better, I’m pretty open minded really. And, if buying second hand, something that won’t break after 13 months.

Do you want a chair with a headrest, or are you happy for it to extend up to the shoulders?

I agree with Gray2233 that there are a lot of knockoff gamer chairs out there. Would recommend either Secretlab or Noblechair if going for one of that style.

2nd hand HM aeron for example can be pretty good quality and will last you a while if you buy it from the right place. Similarly you could buy new a Herman miller sayl for < £500 and a lot of my friends find that super comfortable.

@Gray2233 @liltimmy

Thanks for the suggestions.

A headrest would be nice if I'm honest but not really a deal breaker, indeed, not many of the office seats I've looked at have them anyway unless you pay extra.

The sayl actually looks decent.

We've got Herman miller mirra at work and I don't find them uncomfortable but then I wouldn't say I sat on it and thought "wow this is so comfortable".

The noblechairs one is definitely one on my list. In particular I quite like the look of this one...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nobl...r-gaming-chair-black-white-red-gc-008-nc.html

I've seen a Noblechairs ICON in Cognac in person and it honestly looked absolutely stunning, I've no doubt their other ranges are great too.

The noblechairs one is definitely one on my list. In particular I quite like the look of this one...

If I was shelling out hundreds it'd be pretty important to me that it was fabric/mesh not leather or something like that, as swamp-arse is no laughing matter, haha ... but I think those guys did a Doom version of one of their chairs and if we're just talking aesthetics then of all the gamery kind of stuff that was one of the few I thought was neat ... but a bucket seat would always be a no-go for me, I don't want anything trying to make me sit with my legs squeezed together, I'm not racing around at 100mph and there's just no reason for it ...

Back
Top Bottom