Ikea markus replacement?

If I was shelling out hundreds it'd be pretty important to me that it was fabric/mesh not leather or something like that, as swamp-arse is no laughing matter, haha ... but I think those guys did a Doom version of one of their chairs and if we're just talking aesthetics then of all the gamery kind of stuff that was one of the few I thought was neat ... but a bucket seat would always be a no-go for me, I don't want anything trying to make me sit with my legs squeezed together, I'm not racing around at 100mph and there's just no reason for it ...

Hmm, yes you've probably got a point there, my cars got bucket seats and they are pretty comfortable in fairness, but you're right, they are there to hold you in place, which isn't really needed at my desk! I also do get very hot at the best of times (warm blooded/geordie!).

Probably leaning towards a Herman Miller at the moment. I keep getting told that the Steelcase chairs are poorly built, not sure if that's true but I've heard enough reports about it to suggest there's no smoke without fire.

Hmm, yes you've probably got a point there, my cars got bucket seats and they are pretty comfortable in fairness, but you're right, they are there to hold you in place, which isn't really needed at my desk! I also do get very hot at the best of times (warm blooded/geordie!).

Probably leaning towards a Herman Miller at the moment. I keep getting told that the Steelcase chairs are poorly built, not sure if that's true but I've heard enough reports about it to suggest there's no smoke without fire.

They are when you're sat in a driving position, they're not when you're sat at a computer for hours and can play havoc with your back.

That said, the chairs that look a bit like bucket seats from the better companies (Noblechairs etc) aren't actually bucket seats and do offer superior support by comparison. Regardless, a proper ergonomic office chair is definitely where I'd be looking.

Enjoy! Looks like the classic version rather than the remastered based on the cog for the arm height adjustment.

Cheers, well its just landed. Nice looking chair. Jury is out on the comfort.... but I've been warned not to judge it straight away.

Edit: Helps if the lumbar support wasn't too high, I've just changed it, wow! Big difference.

Last edited:
Jury is definitely out on this chair.

I like the way it looks, and generally speaking, when you first sit in it, it feels quite good, but I'm quickly suffering with lower back pain and sore legs, just like many comments I read about it.

Tried lots of various adjustments, watched videos and read all the instructions, maybe I'll get used to it? So far, my Ikea chair is hands down more comfortable by quite a distance :(

Yes I know I should have tried, but its a second hand chair, and I had 2 weeks to expense it, so it wasn't practical.

I'll keep trying but my worst fears have seemingly been confirmed.

Ah that sucks dude, I'm hating my markus, but I can't quibble as I bought it second hand for £15... one day (in the no where near future) it'd be nice to get a fancy one but as you've pointed out I guess they really need to be tried as everyone will fit stuff differently.

I'll see if I can get used to it over the next couple of weeks. I have 28 days to return it if it doesn't work out (albeit at my expense - and that wont be cheap!)

I want to like it because looks like a proper high end bit of kit and initially it can/does feel comfy.

I'll see if I can get used to it over the next couple of weeks. I have 28 days to return it if it doesn't work out (albeit at my expense - and that wont be cheap!)

I want to like it because looks like a proper high end bit of kit and initially it can/does feel comfy.

There any chance your issues could be due to your being used to improper posture when sat down?

I'd give it a couple of weeks and see if you adjust, maybe check out the following:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/office-ergonomics/art-20046169

It might seem daft to think about but it can make a huge difference, and if you're used to sitting in a wrong or awkward position it could be a problem at first.

I do have a tendency to slouch, yes! I have been trying to sit better in this one.

Just try to be mindful of your posture and stick it out for a little while then.

I've had similar problems in the past, the adjustment period was a bit of a nightmare because I was so used to leaning or slouching and my body rebelled when I started forcing myself to sit properly.

How you finding it a week on bud?

I'm getting used to it now, no aches or pains really. Can't complain but what I would say is anyone after something that they can both work from and chill out would probably be best off looking elsewhere as it's not so good the chilling bit, although for me this is few and far between.

I know the op has already bought a chair but a relatively inexpensive alternative is the Autonomous ergo chair 2. I bought one to replace an IKEA Markus and it’s night and day better. I’d recommend for someone in the market that doesn’t want to spend HM money but wants something similar.

No there not as well built as a HM but for £300ish I haven’t seen anything better for a brand new chair.

The Markus is just overrated IMO. The seat padding just didn’t hold up and compressed to nothing very quickly, it lacked lower back support and wasn’t adjustable. Mine was only a couple of years old.

I ended up getting one of the autonomous sit stand desks too which is decent for the money.

I'm getting used to it now, no aches or pains really. Can't complain but what I would say is anyone after something that they can both work from and chill out would probably be best off looking elsewhere as it's not so good the chilling bit, although for me this is few and far between.

I had this with my Mirra chair, it was really uncomfortable to slouch in; but that's the point.

My Mirra allows me to click the back into place and adjust the recline - I can't imagine sitting on anything else now. I use the recline when I want to slouch.

I know the op has already bought a chair but a relatively inexpensive alternative is the Autonomous ergo chair 2. I bought one to replace an IKEA Markus and it’s night and day better. I’d recommend for someone in the market that doesn’t want to spend HM money but wants something similar.

No there not as well built as a HM but for £300ish I haven’t seen anything better for a brand new chair.

The Markus is just overrated IMO. The seat padding just didn’t hold up and compressed to nothing very quickly, it lacked lower back support and wasn’t adjustable. Mine was only a couple of years old.

I ended up getting one of the autonomous sit stand desks too which is decent for the money.

I was the OP until the thread got overtaken.....but I still have the crappy Markus one.

I just watched a review on the Autonomous ergo chair 2, looks good but noises are annoying if you get them after 6 months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CmTt0dfPWA

Back
Top Bottom