Illegal file sharing on the Internet, what should we do?

Soldato
How to solve piracy:

Norwegian State TV Launches BitTorrent Tracker
Written by Ernesto on March 08, 2009

The government-owned Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) has set up its very own BitTorrent tracker to distribute their TV-shows. After a successful test last year they plan to release more DRM-free TV-shows via BitTorrent, using the same tracker software currently in use at The Pirate Bay.

For its tracker, NRK has chosen the beerware licensed Opentracker software currently favored by The Pirate Bay. One of the reasons NRK set up their own tracker is so they can gather more statistics on their viewers downloading habits.

“With our own tracker we will get better statistics and gather important data about how this technology works. And as we did with our early tests we’ll also try to share the knowledge as we grow this service,” NRK’s Eirik Solheim writes in an article announcing the tracker.

The decision to go with BitTorrent was an easy one according to the broadcaster, as tests with traditional downloads crushed their servers. BitTorrent on the other had allows them to distribute their shows to millions of people without having to invest in extra bandwidth or hardware.

“This type of distribution is reliable, cheap and popular with our audience,” Solheim told TorrentFreak. “The main problem is the rights issues. We hope to be able to make television shows with a creative commons license in the future. That will make it easier for us to allow full freedom for our audience,” He added.

NRK understands that the traditional distribution methods are changing, and that their viewers want to consume television shows wherever and whenever they want. The way people consume music and video has changed, and NRK doesn’t want to fall behind.

“It is important for us to start experimenting with new distribution methods. We don’t want to do like the music industry. Running around thinking that people will keep driving down to a record store when they can have the content delivered with the push of a button at home,” Eirik Solheim said in an interview last year.

It is great to see traditional broadcasting companies starting to experiment with BitTorrent and we hope that many others will follow. Making TV-shows available online will only increase the viewership, and with BitTorrent it can be done relatively cheaply too.

http://torrentfreak.com/norwegian-tv-launches-bittorrent-tracker-090308/

Associate
If I was to download Photoshop, would Adobe be losing a sale? no because I wouldn't buy it anyway...

In fact it HELPS adobe because when I go to get a job, the company need to supply me with Photoshop rather than Paintshop because im sufficient in their product and not their competitors...

Associate
If I was to download Photoshop, would Adobe be losing a sale? no because I wouldn't buy it anyway...

In fact it HELPS adobe because when I go to get a job, the company need to supply me with Photoshop rather than Paintshop because im sufficient in their product and not their competitors...

why would they supply you when you already have it?

Soldato
theres channels out there like channel 5 that have just put all the CSI NCIS type shows on their website player for free (same with lots of stuff on skyplayer, iplayer etc...), so am i now entitled to go download them from another source like a bit torrent site? i was under the impression if its commercially free somewhere it kinda counts everywhere (hard to explain...)

and whats to stop people recording films and music videos off their tvs, and never have to buy a movie/song again (granted you would have to wait, but still...)

Last edited:
Soldato
theres channels out there like channel 5 that have just put all the CSI NCIS type shows on their website player for free (same with lots of stuff on skyplayer, iplayer etc...), so am i now entitled to go download them from another source like a bit torrent site? i was under the impression if its commercially free somewhere it kinda counts everywhere (hard to explain...)

I don't think that's the case as it's a different type of 'free'. They aren't directly charging you for it but they haven't given up their copyright etc.

In most cases they're making their profit by you visiting the site and typically having adverts on the site itself and at the start of the video stream (and in the middle also in the case of ITV at least).

and whats to stop people recording films and music videos off their tvs, and never have to buy a movie/song again (granted you would have to wait, but still...)

Only a technicality in the law, you're allowed to make a temporary copy for timeshifting purposes but not for archiving.

Man of Honour

No, it is still copyrighted and you can't legally now go download it from other sources. What you are talking about is when the copyright expires, then it's free to the public.

It's technically illegal to keep a recording forever.

Soldato
I legally purchased a £400 television, a £500 computer and have bought over 100 videogames and countless other things legally.

So if I download a couple of MP3s i'm a pirate and must be stopped?

I've managed to drive for 7 years completely within the confines of the law and highway code. Do you think i should be let off for doing 38mph in a 30mph residential zone when i got flashed the other night?

Soldato
No, "time shifting" the ability to record for personal use something to watch at a more convenient time.
It's also quite handy as a method of recording your own materials.

So if I have sky, and a program is showing on it but I forget to record it, it's ok for me to download something, (assume 0 upload), watch it, and delete it? Given that if I recorded something from a sky or virgin box, I would skip the adverts anyway since it would let me.

I just woke up, so very possibly i'm just being more stupid than usual :p So if that is the case, apologies :)

Man of Honour
So if I have sky, and a program is showing on it but I forget to record it, it's ok for me to download something, (assume 0 upload), watch it, and delete it? Given that if I recorded something from a sky or virgin box, I would skip the adverts anyway since it would let me.

Nope as the person you are downloading it from does not have permission to do so and as such it's a breach.

Associate
I've managed to drive for 7 years completely within the confines of the law and highway code. Do you think i should be let off for doing 38mph in a 30mph residential zone when i got flashed the other night?

I call rubbish there. There will always be some rule you have broken in terms of following distance, not changing to a new speed zone quick enough or making any kind of junction mistake (which would be in convention of the highway code). A lot of roundabouts don't even follow their lane system!

Back
Top Bottom