I'm about to get back into e39 ownership..

Soldato
OP
That is very cheap! I'll keep my fingers crossed it runs well for you. Have only seen one 530i locally myself, not a very common car the E39. Ouch at the cost of rego, most people won't buy a used car with low or expired rego as they won't want to pay a pile of cash ontop.

My next car will probably be a 4x4 with an ARB Bull Bar fitted! Country living!

My only worry would be running a BMW in Australia, any garage bill is LOL $$$ because the labour rate will be huge.

Limited supply of used parts due to people keeping cars forever too meaning sometimes the dealer is the only option.

When I needed an interior Fiesta rear view mirror I was quoted $150 locally. Bought on ebay UK for $20 & P&P.
Rego is expensive as NSW is stupid. It's 2.5 times the cost of other states but I'm over it. I was considering buying a Victorian car but I don't think it's worth the risk to be driving it around out of state.

The garage bill doesn't really worry me as I'll do a lot of the basics myself as well as having the luxury to be able to wait for parts as I won't use it during the week. There are a few good "prestige" breakers around me, and I'll be calling into them to try and source a few of the small things that are missing from the car. I guess it's nice to have the contacts at home and UK to get stuff shipped over if necessary too!

Soldato
If you are able to do the work yourself and don't rely on the car then that's all good!

I didn't know the rego was a lot cheaper in other states, a friend was pulled over for having a Vic rego trailer pulled by a NSW registered car and fined for it, this was on the border too just borrowed it from a friend in a local town to move some things.

I shipped all my garage tools over with me when I moved as they are expensive here, would like an older car to tinker with, but need the storage space. My garage is full of racking and bikes already... :o

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So I'm just back from my second test drive and frankly I'm sort of in shock as everything went absolutely fine. Lots of power, smooth shifts, no shimmy, no weird noises, rode well, no rattles, nothing fell off. The exterior is as near to new as I think you can get with the exception of two paint spider webs on the roof, one of which has a small 2mm spot where the paint has come away. Not one dent, scrape or nick. The headlights are also in excellent condition and everything electrical seems to work. If I was to criticise anything, it's that the wheels need a refurb to match the quality of the exterior. A further criticism is that the interior doesn't meet the mintness of the exterior but with a bit of love will hopefully match up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Call him up on the fact and haggle some more off?

Even if it turns out to cost you a bit, for 50% less than the going rate thats not bad!?

Caporegime
If I were you, I'd walk away from that car.

These cars carry huge mileages well and generally, if looked after, won't show many signs of it.
Engine noise & a visibly worn seat & steering wheel would and did have me suspicious, the true history, to my mind, confirms this alas.

If something seems too good to be true.......

:/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Call him up on the fact and haggle some more off?

Even if it turns out to cost you a bit, for 50% less than the going rate thats not bad!?

No budging from either end and tbh I'll just start looking for alternative cars if I can't find another e39 that's decent for less than $10k. 525i Sports sell from 12k up here and 530i sports from 14k up generally. All are high Km's.

The alternative is an Estoril blue, high spec, 530i Sport for $10.5k with nearly a years rego but has no history and a damaged front bumper as well as a few dents and scrapes.

If I were you, I'd walk away from that car.

These cars carry huge mileages well and generally, if looked after, won't show many signs of it.
Engine noise & a visibly worn seat & steering wheel would and did have me suspicious, the true history, to my mind, confirms this alas.

If something seems too good to be true.......

:/

I know what you're saying but I guess it's a bit like someone also blindly telling someone not to buy a car because it's done over 200k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds pretty much like mine, and mine has only done 55,000 miles. I dont hear your 'rattle' - just some ticking from the top end which mine does too. Bit of a suck when you reved it though - I'd check for split intake hoses, although you say it runs fine so maybe nothing's wrong there.

My car seems to also have no clear coat on the paint inside the engine bay and boot shut. It's so dull it seems like a different colour in some light.

I'd judge it on it's present condition - although it has had many owners (is that history check you've done 100% reliable?), at least the previous owner seems to have taken care of it. You say it runs and drives fine, exterior is close to mint, it has full history and evidence of major work done (cooling system, recent servicing, brakes and new tyres). This is all good in my opinion, and I personally wouldn't let the number of previous owners put me off if I was looking at a car with those positives.

I see it has German style plates (can you get away with those over there?). Another sign of someone a bit enthusiastic of their BMWs.

Is the mileage tamper light definately not showing on the clocks?

Would be good to see some better (daytime) pics including the interior to see the wear.

You've got 1k off which is good. What is the reason given why it's unusually cheap? I'd personally go for it! I think Fox is on holiday, so you migbht be waiting a while for his opinion :).

Do you have the cable/software to read the codes out? Would be good to do before you buy, but at least get sorted with that kit soon if you do go ahead and buy it so you can keep an eye on things.

Caporegime
The wear to the seat & wheel sounds not as bad as I thought from your earlier comments, as for the mileage light, iirc you'll see a small dot illuminated next to the odometer, I may be wrong on this - where's 'Fox when you need him eh??

Soldato
Yeah the tamper dot is a round dot just under where it says 'miles' (or I guess that's just to the right of where it says 'km' for you).

From your description, though, your interior wear sounds totally normal for the age and mileage, maybe even better than average (not sure what you are expecting from a 130k mile 11 year old car :)), so I dont think you need to be overly concerned about it having been clocked.

Soldato
Just throw him a rope and meet him at $8500 imo and $500 isn't really that much money.

There isn't enough choice like there is in the UK to be overly picky with spec and condition!

Soldato
We're not saying run away because from what you say...

1. It's in excellent condition both aesthetically and mechanically
2. It has good spec
3. It's a fantastic price
4. There is evidence of significant recent work (cooling system, servicing etc)
5. The interior wear that had us initially thinking 'OMG intergalactic mileage been clocked away' turns out to be normal wear and tear

The only issue seems to be the number of previous owners discrepancy. Only you have met the current owner - does he seem dodgy? What did he say when you challenged him on the number of previous owners? Obvious deception attempt rumbled, or could he have been mistaken himself?

At the end of the day, from what you've said it seems a pretty sound example, and as long as you're aware that even what might seem like a minter with full history, 1 loving owner, etc, etc can still drop bills cos it's an 11.5 year old E39 and you go in with open eyes and no false expectations, then all seems OK.

Back
Top Bottom