I'm DarkShadow. And This is my story.

Soldato
OP
Thanks broskis.

Could you post up your routine actually? Would be interesting to see

P.S: Good to hear from ya
P.P.S: how did you come to the conclusion of overconsumption when you've lost mass?

I agree mainly though, I probably have half a chicken breast or can of tuna at lunch, then usually some form of serving of something in the evening, and tbh I've not lost mass, gained if anything (but gained fat as I'm overcomsuming on the rest of the junk currently :D)
My routine at the moment is 14 weeks, split into 2X7 week cycles. Goal within 14 weeks is to return to 80-85% strength.

4 Weeks building,
2 Weeks working with heavier weights,
1 Week of testing (test work is usually 3RM-8RM)

These first 3 weeks I've been trying to gauge how much volume I'm able to handle without breaking form but it's mostly been building a base. It's mostly rotated like this:

Code:
Workout 1: Squats and Deads followed by 3 accessories
Workout 2: Bench, Shoulders (push) followed by 3 accessories (2 optional)
Workout 1: Squats and Deads followed by 3 accessories
Workout 3: Bench, 2 Pulling movements followed by 2 pull accessories (2 optional)

Mixing up the style of videos a little:

My car is still off road, so I'm mostly cycling 7 miles roundtrip which has been interesting.

Did 11 sets of squats and 3 sets of paused sumos.

In regards to the diet, I held the weight and strength for around 7 weeks (not much loss of mass or strength on approx 20-100g protein), the 7 weeks thereafter were a huge calorie deficit but I felt well. Hardly scientific but for the first time in a really long time, I felt such a huge amount of contentment not worrying about it.

I've now gained about 8lb and my protein intake is about 90-120g a day.

Soldato
OP
Spent most of lockdown cycling/hiking and doing some mediocre bodyweight stuff. Was back in the gym on the 25th. Following exact same comeback protocol but started @ 40% instead of 50%.

Couple of notes:
- Have a 100 mile bike ride coming up in 2 weeks, so staying conservative for lower body and just practicing movements.
- I cannot deal with DOMS, I've been walking like a penguin since Saturday and I'm only at 40%.
- My right hip is going to give me issues. Have very little mobility. Will be my area of focus for the next few weeks. Being spending a lot of time sitting on computer/couch/bicycle/motorbike.

Soldato
Spent most of lockdown cycling/hiking and doing some mediocre bodyweight stuff. Was back in the gym on the 25th. Following exact same comeback protocol but started @ 40% instead of 50%.

Couple of notes:
- Have a 100 mile bike ride coming up in 2 weeks, so staying conservative for lower body and just practicing movements.
- I cannot deal with DOMS, I've been walking like a penguin since Saturday and I'm only at 40%.
- My right hip is going to give me issues. Have very little mobility. Will be my area of focus for the next few weeks. Being spending a lot of time sitting on computer/couch/bicycle/motorbike.
Nice to get back to it though man!

Funny as its similar to me but less lockdown exercise, ive been road biking a bit (or as much as i can) but no weight training.

First session is back today im dreading the DOMS. Not going to start MADCOW until Monday just going to go do some light weights for all compound lifts and see how I feel.

Soldato
OP
Nice to get back to it though man!

Funny as its similar to me but less lockdown exercise, ive been road biking a bit (or as much as i can) but no weight training.

First session is back today im dreading the DOMS. Not going to start MADCOW until Monday just going to go do some light weights for all compound lifts and see how I feel.
Sorry I missed this. How has it been coming along?

Week before last, I had the nastiest high volume week.

Squat session 1:
135KG X 15
140KG 3X5

Squat session 2:
140KG X 15
140KG 12X4

Last week, I had a strangest back injury. It was a light linear week. (19/10/20)

I only had one set of 150KG squats for 6 reps which felt really easy but my breathing spazzed on the 4th rep, I ended up on my toes but recovered without much bother. Felt a tiny twinge but nothing to report home about.

Finished with a set of deads and decided to go home. Slept.

In the morning, I was almost paralyzed, waist down. I couldn't walk to the loo. Been doing active mobilisation the whole of last week, a couple of upper body session and got in a 15 mile hike. I made more progress in 1 week than I did in 2 years when this last happened.

Feeling a lot better. Ramped up to 110KG squats yesterday. Treading cautiously. Really cautiously.

I feel strong but holding back and sticking to 5-10% under my projected maxes and sticking to my long term plan.

Soldato
OP
Been a while bois. 7 weeks back in running relatively carefree and instinctive as I've been feeling worn down.

Numbers are saying otherwise though.

New PR

I barely made 180kg for today. Was about to pack up and leave but decided to have a go. it was interesting to see this effort of 10. Strap came loose at 7th rep. Had 2-3 more in the tank.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had 6 new PBs.

Few notables ones:

Squat: 180KG x8 w/ 8 backoff sets of 170KG x3
Strict Press: 90KG. Not trained this, so very very surprised.
Deads: 217KG 5X5 RPE: Lather me in honey

Soldato
OP
I wasn't really training to beat my squat, but I'll take it. New PR of +7.5KG. Currently 13 weeks in from a complete break of 4 months, it's fair to say I needed it.

As I'm expected to potentially stop training for a while, I did cheat this cycle a fair bit by over inflating my projected numbers as I kept hitting them. Keen to do this properly when time permits.

I strained my neck/shoulder on some Deads. I'm not feeling comfortable to beat my previous deads, so I'd be testing my bench this week, not sure how long I can hold off tapering my deads. Otherwise, I'll give it a miss now knowing I have a much higher projected max.

Soldato
OP

Something that's been sitting with me for a while, as my numbers are going competitively up, my desire to push is no longer there. I've been doing this for 13 years now and it was incredible. Those injuries really changed my life. My commitment to get better was, er.... ruthless.

My projections are now taking me to 270-280 and to be honest, I've worked a fraction as hard as I had previously. I've been hanging out here for a while but my focus has just been my topsets and just getting out of the gym ASAP. Life has felt significantly simpler over the last 3-4 years. I guess this was the silver lining in retrospect. I've not dieted for 7 years, everything feels optimal and I feel incredible.

I have no desire to squat more. Coming from 4 knee surgeries, the prospect of hitting 200+ at my weight was a dream and I'm just over it. So over it.

I love the outdoors and I'll continue to make more time for this and probably take on a few challenges across waters.

I guess my deadlift is the last rodeo I want to do but I'm not overly invested but it just feels right to pull it, I guess it's the last chapter I want to write.

Soldato
OP
x-post from gym thread. A year later... pbs.

Bonked the summer for cycling and restart lifting in Sept. This is my first block and it was blood HARD WORK. The first 4 weeks really paid dividends.

2 Lifetime natty goals:

180KGx10

250KGX4

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's been a while but coming into Ramadan, I pushed through 6 new PBs (singles and Reps). For the first time both bench and squats had a whopping PR of 10KG each.

I don't feel strong due to tiredness but the numbers are coming through. I thought in my mid-30s progressing would be a PITA but it's still possible.

Singles PBs:
Squat: 220KG (+10KG gain)
Deadlift: 271.25 (+1.25KG gain - plate fell off)
Bench: 130 KG (+10 KG gain)

Reps:
Squat: 190KG x 7
Deadlift: 250KG x 5
Bench: 117.5 X 5

Back
Top Bottom